Satellite Radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZsdad

Mr. Bill goes for a ride!
Reaction score
Okay I never thought I'd want music on the bike. But with a 2000 mile slab trip coming up, I'm starting to rethink this.

I don't have the time or patience to record a bunch of music onto an mp3 or what ever. Seems like satellite radio

might be the best way to go. I need advice on what and where to buy. I have a gps on a stem mount already.

So I guess that leaves the bars for mounting stuff. I have no plans to put a dash on the bike.

I did search but did not find what I need. All help appreciated.

PS. please don't tell the NERDS I have no clue about this stuff. :secret:

I am glad to be not the only person electronically challenged!!! :rolleyes:

But don't pass up the MP3 yet. I bought a cheap Sansa MP3 player at Wal-Mart which is something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MAPT7U?ie=UTF8&tag=vglnk-c1716-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002MAPT7U and with it a little SR slot (use the manual to order it via the internethttps://www.sandisk.com/consumer-products/music-player/slot-music-family-page ) and bam you have 1000 songs on the MP3 with no download stuff and like you I have no patience. I think you then have about $90 invested with this setup.

My issue with the satellite radio is that you probably need to buy something like a Starcom to hook the radio to and get to your helmet. You can also hook up a radio to a Garmin 550 or 660, but you said you were technically challenged.

I had a satellite radio hooked up to my Garmin but other than on the bike I never used the satellite radio. So not only am I technically challenged, I am cheap. But to be honest what I use now is a Starcom and I hook up my 1000 songs on the cheap MP3 and I also have my GPS hooked up also, (I needed it for damtour.com ).

But if you want to get started for a 2000 mile slab trip I would just get an inexpensive MP3 and use ear buds and you have tunes at least. Easy to do and cheap.

Something to consider for sure. I do have a garmin 660. Maybe someway to work it into the picture.

Thanks WR S

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to consider for sure. I do have a garmin 660. Maybe someway to work it into the picture.

Thanks WR S
I have a Jensen JHD910 radio installed on by bike and I purchased a XM onyx satellite radio for $20 from XM radio. They tried to charge $56 for three months service, but I told them I had originally talked to them about transferring my auto service over to the motorcycle and didn't need additional service so the $56 charge was cancelled. They do charge $15 to make the transfer of service. The Onyx is plugged into the AUX inlet on the Jensen and works great. I will have to spend another $15 to transfer the service back to the auto in the Fall.

Install a mount for your smartphone (you do have a smartphone don't ya?), and tune in Slacker Radio. Way better than satellite, and free (if you have a smartphone with unlimited Verizon minutes).

Thanks WR S
I have a Jensen JHD910 radio installed on by bike and I purchased a XM onyx satellite radio for $20 from XM radio. They tried to charge $56 for three months service, but I told them I had originally talked to them about transferring my auto service over to the motorcycle and didn't need additional service so the $56 charge was cancelled. They do charge $15 to make the transfer of service. The Onyx is plugged into the AUX inlet on the Jensen and works great. I will have to spend another $15 to transfer the service back to the auto in the Fall.
Thanks Jer, I'll check this solution out.

Install a mount for your smartphone (you do have a smartphone don't ya?), and tune in Slacker Radio. Way better than satellite, and free (if you have a smartphone with unlimited Verizon minutes).
Thanks you loose, very interesting. Retired with 37 years in telecom and never needed a smart phone but I have been shopping them recently due to a change in activities.

This could work on a couple levels. Time to dump Sprint anyway. Thanks again.

Thanks you loose, very interesting. Retired with 37 years in telecom and never needed a smart phone but I have been shopping them recently due to a change in activities.

This could work on a couple levels. Time to dump Sprint anyway. Thanks again.
If you want to get into smartphones you need to stay with Sprint, especially if you are going to stream. They are the only company left with unlimited data plans and the prices are better to. Get the EVO (non 3D), you will never look back.

Bummer. The Zumo 665 is already plumbed for XM/Serius Satellite Radio. :huh:

Get ya an Android and download the Pandora application. Type in a few of your favorites to create different channels and listen to song after song for free.....as long as you get service where you are travelling at the time.

Down the road you might get Sirus/XM to renew your subscription for around $100 for another year. I did that after my 3-month expired.

If you decide to go non-subscription, a radio has kept me from total boredom driving across the country. The Jensen or an HD Jump for under $70 can take an MP3 player through the AUX input.

If you have one of the cable TV tiers with Music Plus, you can hook up a PC based recording program to record a music genre for playback through an MP3 player for unattended recording commercial free. You can even DVR a music channelt and fast forward past the songs you don't want to record if you have time.

Satellite Radio = Service almost anywhere.

Smartphone = Service where you can get a data stream.

Got a flat tire today less than 20 miles from home today. Pulled out the Verizon smart phone to call road side service - no dice, no data service and no bars to make a call.

I have Sirius Sat. Radio on the bike. Just a regular Portable Car Sat. Radio that I installed on the bike using a Tech Mount. Works great and subscription is only $9/month.

I just got done adding an Autocom with bike-to-bike GMRS radio, Radar detector, GPS, full phone service and iPhone iPod and music from XM radio or any other source that can go to a 3.5 mm jack. Fantastic stuff, all prioritized and with good fidelity. I am heading to the east coast starting 7/16. The route will be mainly US50 heading east, with a return on a more northern route. I have a XM3pi receiver for music. Smartphones don't even come close.

769843.jpg

I had Sirius for a couple years & was able to switch it from truck to bike with no problems.However ,the one thing

I did have problems with it was when you would go out of your receiving station's range( you have to set up a frequency like 92.3 or the like) you lose the connection & you have to program in another frequency to get the connection to your programs back.Although I used it for commuting ( 15miles) as time went on I had to keep changing

frequency's,then I started having problems connecting (took a few minutes ,then would lose connection again).I cancelled the Sirius & started using my 2 ipods ( one 8gig & one 4gig ),the batteries last quite long.I went on a 2,000 mile trip last summer & could use one of them for most of the day,then at a rest stop just switch to the other.

Charge them @ the motel @ good to go the next morning. I suppose that if you are using a GPS ,you would not have the connection problems I did. Food for thought. Sliick :D

I had Sirius for a couple years & was able to switch it from truck to bike with no problems.However ,the one thing

I did have problems with it was when you would go out of your receiving station's range( you have to set up a frequency like 92.3 or the like) you lose the connection & you have to program in another frequency to get the connection to your programs back.Although I used it for commuting ( 15miles) as time went on I had to keep changing

frequency's,then I started having problems connecting (took a few minutes ,then would lose connection again).I cancelled the Sirius & started using my 2 ipods ( one 8gig & one 4gig ),the batteries last quite long.I went on a 2,000 mile trip last summer & could use one of them for most of the day,then at a rest stop just switch to the other.

Charge them @ the motel @ good to go the next morning. I suppose that if you are using a GPS ,you would not have the connection problems I did. Food for thought. Sliick :D
That sounds more like an FM Radio than a Satellite Radio.

I have ridden several hundreds of miles day after day without losing Sirius coverage (except when in a Redwood grove - trees were to tall to see the satellite).

I have a Kenwood DNX8120 in the cage that uses the GXM30

I have a Zumo 550 for the bike/Work Truck that uses the GXM30

I have a 2730 that uses the GXM30

I want a GPSMAPS 478 that uses a GXM30. ;)

This is the best platform for Satellite radio and only one subscription, IMO, YMMV. :p

My satellite radio is connected to the aux of my AM/FM radio and is not dependent on a blank FM station. My auto satellite radio is set up the same way, so when driving to California from Oregon I listen to the same XM station during the whole trip. If my AM/FM radio did not have a direct aux connector then I would have the same problem you had.

Does anyone else use "wired" earbuds like me? I use them with my Zumo 550/XM satellite radio and they sound great and also block road noise if you get the good ones (I have Etymotic ER-6's). You just have to remember to unplug them before walking away from the bike (which I know from experience).