Scuba Divers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are there any scuba divers out there?

I can't remember where, but I read about a motorcycle/scuba trip not to long ago. A bunch of riders which happen to be scuba divers took a few days and traveled the coast stopping at some good diving spots. They had a couple chase trucks follow the bikes packed with their gear. They would stop at locations preplanned with local dive shops to go scuba diving. When they pulled into the dive shop there required tanks would be ready for them to dive. After the dive the shop would take the empty tanks and the bunch would move to the next dive spot.

As I understand it they made three dives a day for four days. And many riders from the local area only made the trip for one or two days since real life required their attention.

Also, while I really dislike the look of a trailer on a bike does anyone know where to get one for a FJR? As a scuba instructor I need to carry my gear with me. But riding the FJR would be more enjoyable then my 11mpg truck.

Master Diver with NAUI here.

The FJR and hauling gear for the Pacific Northwest waters is a hard combination to match. I've been able to do two days of diving coordinating with some dive buddies with cars, but it was tricky. I figure if I'm needing a trailer though it's time to get a Wing anyway.

Certified Open Water Diver in Northeast Ohio. I don't get out as often as I would like. Diving from a bike would be tough, although that truck supported motorcycle adventure you described sounds like fun.

Over in the UK, since I started running this Pub I haven't been out much. Got my instructors ticket etc. No boat now though got wrecked falling off the trailer.

YMCA Scuba Diver 1963..PADI this, PADI that, .Now an SSI DiveCon &Assoc Instructor.....would love to do more diving, particularly in the tropics (Belize was UNABELIZABLE!) But, have never tried to mix bikes and diving. Too much gear to haul and thought to much of friends and dive buddies to have them haul it all. If I do N. Carolina wreck diving it means a whole wagon full of heavy gear. Sport Touring is much more convenient, and the fun starts as I leave the driveway! Plus little chance of weather cancellations!

Certified Open Water along with my 11 year old son. We both went diving in Maui this past Christmas break on 8 dives. Had a blast. I'll have to post some of the pictures later that we took under water. It was great.

But my feeling is if I'm going biking, I'm not interested in diving. I like both separately enough to do them by themselves. Less hassle.

devanator/Mike

Certified in 1973 by NASDS (anyone still remember them?). I was going to say that the best diving I remember being in Grand Cayman, but then I remember all of the west coast dives in the Channel Islands and out at Cortez Banks. Each venue has its charm... :)

PADI Dive Master. But as others have stated, I don't dive that much any more.

My first thought is that 3 dives per day, plus riding the bike to and from would wear me out. I guess it depends on the dives, and the distance for the rides. If you are doing all 3 dives at the same place, and then riding to one other place for the next day where you could do 3 dives, that might not be too bad. If you are having to gear up for the bike and the dive multiple times each day,..ouch.

Sorry I can't be any help on the trailer. I would rather focus on just one activity per day.

I've been diving for 8 years. I used to dive a lot in the lakes around Madison WI, but just moved to Visalia CA, I'm not sure how much I'll get to do around here for now. I know a lot of people go to the coast to dive, I need to make some friends that dive the lake closer to home.

That will come, for now I'm enjoying the ability to ride in February and exploring new mountain roads.

Not sure if I would try to combine them both, but I would never say never.

Steve.

Interesting topic guys. This is my second career as well as a sport I got into back in 1985. I try to do a couple of dive trips a year, as well as work in the shop. We have one of the biggest service centers in the west here in the Denver area. We service almost every brand of scuba equipment out there. So if you ever need your gear serviced let me know.It's definitely a growing and fin sport.

I am still pondering trying to get something together like this late summer or summer of 08. I agree with TriggerT 3 dives in a day and riding is a lot. So, it won’t be that much work.

Last summer 9 of us on bikes took a ride from Reno to Fernley, Silver Springs, Carson City, South Lake Tahoe, ending the ride on the east side of the lake at Bliss State Park. When we got there all our personal gear was already setup waiting on us. We put the gear on made and made two dives. After the dives we cooked up some food on the BBQ and then headed back to Reno.

We never setup, broke down, or hauled our gear. I had a couple Dive Master candidates get our gear from the shop and take care of all the heavy work. The Dive Master candidates were more then happy to help since I gave them credit on their internships to complete their training.

Here is some info on the dive site.

https://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnjuly02/inland.html

I am also trying to work in the time to go to the WFO in Utah and visit the Homestead Crater. I am not sure I can fit the time in yet, but I am trying.

https://diveuniversity.com/html/why_dive_university.html

https://diveuniversity.com/html/the_crater.html

ScubaTech – I am also a certified tech for Oceanic and Zeagle.

You will like the crater,John. It is one of our winter training spots. Next time you are in Denver stop in and visit. This is one of the largest dive stores I have seen. A1 Scuba& Travel Center. Good luck organizing that trip!

KEN

I've tried to hold off, but what do y'all do on these fresh water dives? Whats to look at, much less shoot? You need an Ocean!

I've tried to hold off, but what do y'all do on these fresh water dives? Whats to look at, much less shoot? You need an Ocean!
There is no doubt the ocean is better.

But, here a few things in the Reno:

F4 fighter jet - 60feet

Sail boat - 70 feet

Rubicon Wall - 0 to 1000+ feet deep

Soda Lake/old minning town under water

And, Monterey Bay is not to far away for me.

Gotcha John, all that sounds like good fun. Soda lake sounds cool. Monterey bay sounds better. Hunting Bass in the kelp.( Sargasum?)

PADI certified here. Short story -- I went through the entire NAUI program but couldn't finish the boat dive requirement due to bad weather (did a couple of beach dives okay). Fortunately my buddy was a PADI dive master so I took the PADI written tests on the way out to sea for a three-day dive trip...

Haven't been in the water in years. Too cold around Catalina and the local Channel Islands for my taste. Give me Hawaii instead!

Not into towing

YMCA Certified around 1977. I like warm water diving so only occasionally on Vacation. TJ