Second Annual Birds, Beans, and Bierstadt Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be down there between January 6th and 11th. Anybody want to meet for breakfast or lunch somewhere on the 9th?

Meeting place ?

I was over at Flag City and the Starbucks is gone. Building is still there but no business in the building.

We had breakfast at the Flying J truck stop. Might be an easy place to meet.

They also have a big store and gift shop. Just in case you need batteries for your camera.

Meeting place ?
I was over at Flag City and the Starbucks is gone. Building is still there but no business in the building.

They also have a big store and gift shop. Just in case you need batteries for your camera.
Within a block of the now vacant Starbucks are a Shell station and a Chevron. either one would have coffee, cocoa, batteries, "powder rooms", etc. and would be far far away from big-rigs.

Meeting place ?

Within a block of the now vacant Starbucks are a Shell station and a Chevron. either one would have coffee, cocoa, batteries, "powder rooms", etc. and would be far far away from big-rigs.

I forgot your fear of big trucks, sorry :rolleyes:

I think the shell station has an ice cream counter, yum yum. :yahoo:

Thanks, boys. I'm keeping an eye out for a clear weekend day to pop over there and scope it out. I will alert y'all when the lucky day is to see if anyone wants to join....

I am in! Usual caveats of no rain, no snow and no hot date Friday night (this one more unlikely than the other two) apply...

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, those FJR tires work in the rain too... doncha know. Even half-used up RoadSmarts...

DSCI0724.jpg

Thanks, boys. I'm keeping an eye out for a clear weekend day to pop over there and scope it out. I will alert y'all when the lucky day is to see if anyone wants to join....
OK I'm a bit lost here...where's in need of scope-age? I'm heading over a-Manteca way this afternoon. I can scope whatevs you need, such as likely areas for the Iron Butt Motel, restroom gloryholes, c-store with good selection of energy drinks, etc. In other words, all the stuff a good motorcyclist needs.

Edited to say: How about this place? Lathrop is a bit further south of the original spot, but it has a UFO in its roof! Is that too much extra riding for the Sackatomatoes folks?

Edited again to say never mind on the Lathrop place. No seats. And I never made it up to the original spot, ran out of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My passenger is going to be my daughter Claire, who is 9. Sally's going to be out of town and Daddy and Daughter are going to play motorcycle with the FJR crewe. We've invited my buddy Ben and his son Toby, who is also 9. Chances are pretty good that they're coming along. Ben rides a Harley so be nice! :)

My passenger is going to be my daughter Claire, who is 9. Sally's going to be out of town and Daddy and Daughter are going to play motorcycle with the FJR crewe. We've invited my buddy Ben and his son Toby, who is also 9. Chances are pretty good that they're coming along. Ben rides a Harley so be nice! :)
Ben and Toby are welcome, so long as no nancy pants. :glare: I don't make the rules, MadMike2 does. :D

Jeeze, I envy you guys. Temp 14 F tonight but up from -16 last night.

Have fun and just be glad those sandhills don't eat beans too.

7X

[SIZE=12pt]Join us on Saturday, January 16, for the second annual Birds, Beans, and Bierstadt Ride--a full day of riding, fun, culture, comraderie, eating, and learning in the California Central Valley.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. The Birds[/SIZE]

4160673614_9453b7fdcb_o.jpg
4159882977_1710553140_o.jpg

Fall has come to California's Central Valley, and with it thousands of sandhill cranes on their annual migration to feed and roost in marsh and grassland around Lodi. The graceful, 5-foot-tall birds migrate to the Lodi area in October and stay through February. State scientists rave about the cranes, which can cover 350 miles a day, calling them "magnificent birds, with characteristic red-crowned heads, unique clicking vocalization and distinct postures." (In other words, if you live nearby they're a pain in the a**!)

We will start our day with a 10-minute ride from the rendezvous location to the Woodbridge Ecological Reserve. There we will stop by the side of the road to watch the birds hobnobbing and fornicating in the local fields. With 6-foot wingspans, the sight of a flock of them flying over will take your breath away. Bring binoculars (there might be "birds" in bikinis swimming in nearby farm ponds :cold: )!

For more information about the birds and the reserve, go to Information about the Calif. Dept. of Fish and Game Woodbridge Ecological Reserve

[SIZE=12pt]2. The Beans[/SIZE]

4160731876_e8b9f05289.jpg

After throwing some rocks at the birds (and peeing on their habitat since there's no bathrooms at the reserve), we will head for lunch about 20 minutes away to a delicious, authentic Mexican restaurant in beautiful downtown Lodi, "the perfect destination for everyone in the family!" :glare: (source: Lodi Visitor Bureau).

In Lodi's "charming downtown with boutiques, antique shops, and turn-of-the-century Victorians ," (ibid.) we will eat musical beans while singing Mexican love songs (albeit not with our mouths' full, Mom :innocent: ) , and dance Mariachi style till we all vomit and fall down. At which point it will be time for the pièce de résistance of our cultural tour.

4160716934_de7a7f4e8a.jpg

Above, FJR Forum members from the Far East region (even farther than Boston :huh: ) enjoy authentic Mexican food in Lodi during the Sandhill Crane Festival in November.

[SIZE=12pt]3. Bierstadt[/SIZE]

4160021833_90c4c23c46_o.jpg

Looking Up the Yosemite Valley, Oil on canvas, 36 x 58 1/2, c. 1863-75, Albert Bierstadt

After we settle up with the owner on the damage from lunch we will head south about 30 minutes to the little-know but excellent Haggin Art Museum in Stockton to see the magnificent paintings of Yosemite Valley by the famous 19thc. Hudson River School painter Albert Bierstadt.

The Haggin Museum opens at 1:30, and costs a very reasonable $5.00. Learn more about it here.

From the museum it will be homeward bound for all....

[SIZE=12pt]Rendezvous, Timing, and Directions[/SIZE]

We will gather between 9:30 AM and 10:30 at the Starbucks in the rest-stop mall located at the junction of Highways 5 and 12. At about 10:30 we will head to the birds.

Starbucks address: 14820 N Star St, Lodi, CA‎

Here is the Google route map.

NOTE: Ride is dependent on weather. No sun no fun. Rain will force a re-scheduling.

[SIZE=12pt]Participants List[/SIZE]

JB

jwhite518 + 1

madmike2

Hycles

Ranch Hand + 1

[SIZE=12pt]Attention SAC area riders:[/SIZE]

Several of us have talked and decided to meet in Elk Grove around 0900-0915, then head to Lodi @ 0930, assuming we'll meet the rest around Hwy 12 & I-5 @ 1000.

[SIZE=12pt]Meet Point:[/SIZE]

76 Station

2335 Laguna Blvd.

Elk Grove

If heading South on I-5, exit Laguna Blvd. 76 Station will be on your left at the signal @ Kausen Dr.

You must turn at the signal onto Kausen to get to the station.

[SIZE=12pt]Elk Grove List:[/SIZE]

bluestreeks

exskibums (?)

fjrobs

flying junior

gfrans

Hycles

JREWs (if John gets in on time)

mm2

puppychow

Ranch Hands

Rogdebs