Securing Devices in Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneWound

Reaction score
So I'm wanting to secure two phones in the top case (Givi V46) on the FJR and I'm kind of stumped by it.  I don't want the phones to move around as they will be charging.  I can't modify the cases on the phones..

So, what have y'all done?

I haven't done anything yet but I am thinking about attaching a pocket of some sort to the inside of the lid with Velcro.  For phones and other stuff I don't want damaged or lost in the clutter of junk that seems to find its way into the case.  A trunk "organizer" might not be a bad idea for some of the time but you lose the ability to throw "stuff" in there.  Beer, helmet, lunch, tools, jacket liner, groceries etc.  Since I rarely pack the trunk full, items in the pocket wouldn't get crushed, lost or beaten about.

I use Eagle Creek "Cubes" for both the tail pack and inside the pannier liners. You can put a pair of pants, a shirt, socks, and a underwear in a full cube so each has a day's change. Half and Quarter cubes are great for tire repair "kits", etc.

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/packing-cubes/pack-it-original-cube-set-xs-s-m-ec041208?variationId=010

I like cubes but they'll only keep from bouncing around (see what I did there?) if the trunk is filled.  Possibly a lid/trunk organizer?  I know Saddlemen makes a few but not sure for a Givi specifically.  Might be able to make one work.  Probably would have to use some kind of super adhesive Velcro or permanently glue even if you're hanging any sort of weight from the lid though.

I do like the pouch idea - and I'd probably be velcoing to the side/bottom of the top case (non movable side).  One thing I've been thinking about itnernally is just having a tote velcro'd down the the top case.  I just dont know how to secure items within the tote

Would it be possible to rivet these to the top case itself (I presume here that rivet's provide some level sealing capability)?

IMHO I wouldn't compromise the structure. Also, riveting something means it will stay there even when you might want to pack differently. "Industrial Velcro" would be my recommendation.

You definitely don't want to put too much weight on the lid - it won't stay open when you want it to.  (Anyone ever put a gas strut on a Givi lid??)

For attaching, look for Scotch Dual Lock.  Available in adhesive back and really strong.  

When walking around in life, I carry my phone in a belt holster. When the phone's on the bike, it's in that same holster, which becomes a case, with the charging port exposed. I actually carry it under the seat where I've placed a cig lighter plug, into which I've placed a USB charger. The holster protects the phone. When i don't need to charge, i throw the phone in the top case, in it's holster, with my house keys and what-not. If it bumps around a bit, who cares? The holster is a full protective case.

This was the great advantage of the factory top case- double wall thickness even in the lid- so secure attachments could be made to hold things in place.  The case I got used held a laptop in it's briefcase perfectly in the lid.  The original owner added some channel and plexiglass to hold it in.

Stop at just about any Harley Davidson dealership and ask to see their tour pak organizers. Harley makes a variety of pouches and organizers for inside of their trunks that could easily work in a Yamaha, Givi, or Shad trunk. Most attach with 3M adhesive strips that are included with the organizers. I used to work for a dealership and sold bunches of these to metric owners for use in all brands of bikes.

You need a 'bag within a bag' approach. 

Try using a tank bag to hold the phone ... in a top case.   I wrap mine into my rainsuit for safety.

I use a saddle bag liner (Concours) to hold stuff in my top case.  I line it with bubble wrap and/or rubber tool shelf liner and wrap my laptop computer for safe travel.

Wow, really impressed with the ideas.

While the phone cases would work (cudos to the idea, btw), I like the versatility the tour pack organizers more (can charge other items if needed) and think it's the way I want to go.   I won't be adding it to the top lid, as I have special needs for the pouch to stay fixed.

You definitely don't want to put too much weight on the lid - it won't stay open when you want it to.  (Anyone ever put a gas strut on a Givi lid??)

For attaching, look for Scotch Dual Lock.  Available in adhesive back and really strong.  
I just added this. I was using a flexible spring but it didn't work as well as I needed it to. Hope the image shows properly.

20200505_212210295_iOS.heic

I secured a bungie net in the lid of my top box using adhesive zip tie bases and the ties. I stretched it snug and cut off the excess. It wouldn't hold a lot of weight but it allowed for more useful storage without losing stuff when you open the case

Image is just fine.  Works well?  With anything attached to the lid or a bit of wind, the lid doesn't stay up.
Works perfectly. After about halfway up, it pushes the lid the rest of the way. It''s not going to fall. At all. These are rated at 30N (about 6 lbs if my converter utility is correct). That's plenty for one of these lids. I got a set of two for $10.