Sena 10U Bluetooth Headset For Schuberth C3 / C3 Pro Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Ranger

Reaction score
Sena 10U first impressions

Recently I received and installed the new Sena 10U bluetooth headset on my Schubert C3 pro helmet. I decided to upgrade from the SMH-10 to see if I could reduce wind noise and increase music volume.

The 10U is very simple and straight froward install. Just follow the video that Sena has on their web page. Took me about 15 minutes. I found no difference in the fit of my helmet with it installed and the battery pack was well hidden and unnoticeable. Once done I powered up the headset and remote. They were already synced from the factory. Next I paired my cellphone with no issues. After that I paired my Garmin Zumo 350. This was not as simple as my cellphone. It took multiple attempts to get them to sync. Overall I am happy with the initial install and setup of the device.

Weather conditions for my test ride were very good with temps in the mid 70s and light winds. For the test I used a set of custom made ear plugs with a 25 db filter installed. I tested speeds from 45 mph to 75 mph with the windscreen in the up and down position.

The first thing I noticed was how much the wind noise was reduced by not having the SMH-10 hanging off the side of my helmet. This was at all speeds and any windscreen position. I want to note that I purchased the 3C pro helmet because it is one of the quietest helmets on the market. So removing a side mount and replacing it with the 10U may not deliver the same results on other helmets.

I placed a call to my wife using the Seri function on the phone with no issues. Seri understood the command the first time. My wife said I was not very clear and sometimes difficult to understand. Her voice was very clear and had plenty of volume behind it.

Music quality from my iPad is about the same as the SMH-10 and the volume at 55 to 75 mph also seemed to match that of the SMH-10. It was hard to tell if it was any louder then my SMH-10. So I added the foam spacers to bring the speakers closer to my ears. This definitely had an impact on both the volume and music quality.

GPS volume is very good and sound quality is clear.

FM radio quality was ok and the volume is too soft for me until I added the foam spacers. Once you program your stations through the phone app it is simple to switch between them. Although the voice prompts are soft and use a female’s voice. This makes it very difficult for me to understand with the poor hearing that I have.

The handlebar remote is cool. It is simple to reach and make changes. However it will take some time to get all of the functions down. I did not find it being on the left grip to be an issue for my hand placement or comfort. The only negative is it can interfere with reaching the handlebar controls on my Gen III. However I was getting accustomed to this by the time I finished my test ride.

The positive of this unit is it is hidden and does not generate the wind noise of the SMH-10. In addition I like the remote control over reaching up to my helmet to make changes.

The negatives are that the unit cannot be swapped out quickly if the battery runs low. Also you cannot remove it to charge the battery and it will not charge when in use.

My first impression is that this is equal or slightly better then the SMH-10 I removed. I am very happy with the reduction in wind noise with my C3 Pro. I feel the upgrade was worth the cost because I can transfer my SMH-10 to my wife’s helmet for when we ride together.

I've been looking at adding this to my Arai. Thanks for taking the time to report your findings, and am impressed with what you found. The only negative, for me at least, is not being able to charge will riding. I usually knock the battery down on my smh-10, in about 8 hrs, mainly with music. I might have to hold off for an upgrade to address that. I do love that it's hidden from view, and should make any helmet quieter, over the 10. Thanks again!

I just got the 10U system for my Shoei Neotec. I too was upgrading from a SMH10, and I didn't realize how much wind noise the SMH10 made until it was gone. The handle bar remote takes some getting used to, but overall it's an awesome system.

Silver Ranger: Thank you for posting up ride report, giving us the pros and cons.

I heard on another forum that you work for Sena. true?

I do like the idea that the 10u is hidden inside (sort of) of the helmet. Still I am happy with my SMH10

Last edited by a moderator:
If the unit cannot be charged on the go, like at gas stops, or while in use, it is a step down from the SMH-10. Maybe it's great if a rider never leaves his neighborhood, but I've been on the bike from 17 to 23 hours at a time and need my equipment to work.

No thanks.

I haven't seen anything that says that you cannot charge the 10U while in use (that would have been an issue), but the no headphone jack was a deal breaker for me. When my SMH10 started acting up, I upgraded to a 20S.

BTW, I have found microphone positioning to be critical on the Schuberth. It didn't seem to matter at all on my Multitech but on the Schuberth when riding with a friend, he was having all kinds of issues understanding me - said I was all digitized as though the Sena was fighting high ambient noise. I had the mic right in front of my lips. I finally moved the mic down to my chin area and he said everything improved dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator: