First impressions of Neotec II w/SRL headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I accidentally left my 20s on and found it dead when I was heading out for a ride. Those portable phone charging battery packs are wonderful! Plugged a 2foot cable into the pack and the 20s and dropped the pack in my Darien jacket left breast pocket and was rockin out immediately rolling down the road.
smile.png
Yessir! That's the ticket!

While I don't really care about the speakers, I am somewhat interested in the helmet itself. I like the idea of a modular helmet and I'm sure Shoei has done a great job with the design. Are you at all concerned about reduced safety compared to a full face? Also, is the wind noise worse than your HJC, or just different?

Thanks!

Dan

While I don't really care about the speakers, I am somewhat interested in the helmet itself. I like the idea of a modular helmet and I'm sure Shoei has done a great job with the design. Are you at all concerned about reduced safety compared to a full face? Also, is the wind noise worse than your HJC, or just different?
Thanks!

Dan
I have the last model of Neotec and have been very happy with it, so much so that when the 2s came out I immediately took a look. Reviews seemed positive although while there's talk about improved aerodynamics and noise levels etc, the biggest thing touted seems to be it being Sena ready. For me what I was reading didn't justify the expensive upgrade as my only knock on the previous model might be a slightly noisy top vent. Reason I'm saying all this is to suggest that if you're thinking about trying a modular for the first time, maybe consider the last Neotec version. It's still a very fine helmet and can be had at a significant discount over the new 2, maybe even more so as the year comes to a close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Dan
Of course, comparing one helmet to another one must define the baseline. As I stated in the OP, my baseline was my HJC FS10, previously my quietest helmet. There are several sources of objectionable noise:

1. Wind passing over/around the helmet, where the helmet aerodynamics produces the noise.

2. Wind noise generated by other parts of the bike as the bike blasts through the air.

3. Engine and road noise from your bike.

4. Noise from external sources, such as pirate/squid bikes, air-braking semis, that car next to you getting ready to throw a rod, etc.

Disclaimer: This is subjective. It's not completely reliable for me to objectively distinguish between the actual noise level being lower vs. it being changed in some way so that it seems to be lower.

1. Definite improvement. I can ride with the windshield lowered to higher speeds before the total noise becomes annoying. The contribution of direct noise generation is easily determined by raising the windshield just enough to where there is that sudden diminishing in the wind noise.

2. Somewhat better with the Sena speakers installed. It might be better yet if one does not have the Sena in the helmet, as there are a couple of foam pieces that get removed to make room for the speakers. I have not tested this.

3. Definitely better. Much more sealing around the ears and around the neck area. I have been able to determine a bit more reduction available by placing my hand underneath my chin, increasing damping coming up through that area.

4. No real opinion. Probably not much improvement. Built-in ANR would likely be required to further isolate this stuff.

While I don't really care about the speakers, I am somewhat interested in the helmet itself. I like the idea of a modular helmet and I'm sure Shoei has done a great job with the design. Are you at all concerned about reduced safety compared to a full face? Also, is the wind noise worse than your HJC, or just different?[/trim]
The Shoei site's Neotech page says nothing about any certification. NTL I think it's safe to assume there is a DOT sticker. The page does not list Snell certification. Shoei builds very good helmets.

IMHO it's the consumer's call on comfort with a modular helmet. Having owned a Schuberth C1 and, later a C2, and a Nolan N103, I wasn't adverse to modulars. However, I also had doubts about the chin bar. I now have a Shoei Air GT and don't expect to return to modular helmets. From what I found in a quick Google search, few modular helmets are checked by Snell (manufacturer pays for the test). Whether that's a problem is, again, the consumer's call.

For a look at DOT and Snell, try this video. "Ryan F9" works for Canadian gear dealer Forth Nine. I've found his videos to be objective and reliable.

Modulars get DOT and Snell ratings, so I suspect there's no safety reduction. Hope not; I wear a Shoei Neotec for long rides and wintertime.

As Mr. Doyle says, comfort and noise (and ventilation) are mostly opinion.

I took a look and bought the original Shoei Neotec on sale at half the price. I'm happy with the helmet, but honestly after seeing a group of guys pick up the Klim modular helmet from Alex during the South Dakota gathering, I think the even lower price of the Klim is amazing, especially with the included Transitions visor. Lightweight and full-featured, quiet for less money. What's not to like. The Shoei Neotec has always commanded a premium price, and I think that price is far above its value.

I really like my (DOT Certified) Neotec 2 for itself, and, someday, I might decide to use the Sena capability. Meanwhile, the helmet is comfortable and quiet, and I am learning to appreciate the internal sun visor.

Yes, it was expensive, but I like to spoil myself now and then. Last summer, I settled on it after a lot of internet reading and shopping. I didn't buy it under any illusion that it would protect me better than a $100.00 lid. DOT rating is DOT rating, no matter how much the helmet costs. I don't regret the purchase, or the price, and I would do it all over again. My only gripe is that the outer visor won't stay open at the first click while I am underway at any respectable speed.

The Neotec 2 replaced my 10 year-old, well worn Shoei Multitec, also an excellent helmet for its day. Most sources say helmets have a 5 year life expectancy, and as you can see, I stretched that figure quite a bit. I understand the reasons for the five year recommendation, though. My Multitec was nice looking on the outside, but starting to show its age inside, which, as most of us know, is just as important as the outer shell when it comes to decreasing your exposure for permanent head/brain injury. WBill

Thanks!

Dan
This is my first modular helmet, and to my mind, the biggest safety factor is just in having the discipline to keep the chin bar down and locked as appropriate; otherwise, it's just a open face helmet (aka "My face'll be fine in the case of an accident. I have a great dental plan" :).

For example, maybe I'm just irrationally paranoid, but in taking a drink from my bite valve under way, I conscientiously minimize the time the chin bar is unlatched to just the period when I'm bringing the valve to or from my mouth, keeping it latched while drinking.