Make Every Day Count

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew I was going to write my thoughts down for my own personal benefit. But I hesitated on posting it because I didn't want it to be taken out of context. I absolutely would not have posted it without Andrew's permission. Andrew and I agree - good can be squeezed out of even the most sour lemon.

I'm so glad that this has inspired some of you to take a CPR class. What I wrote about training is no joke. I've heard it many times before, but now I believe it 100%. When seconds count, you brain won't allow you to be cognitive, logical, and even reasonable to a certain extent. You get robotic. For those that have been inspired, I implore you to give yourself the time for the CPR class without distraction. Leave the cell phone somewhere else. Give it your undivided attention. Picture Pops as that mannequin. Or your own loved one.

I will echo Andrew's comments regarding calm. Andrew was visibly upset, but at no time did he lose focus or exhibit even the slightest inkling of panic. I'm quite certain that must have been an enormous personal challenge for him, knowing that his father is the victim. In my ride report, I mentioned that I trust these two gentlemen implicitly. That cannot be understated. Staying calm is one thing, but knowing that your buddy has got your back - I mean REALLY has got your back - that's a whole game changer in of itself. Looking back, I think our confidence in each other's abilities was the wind pushing our good decisions.

That's the same trust we place on each other when we ride together. That dude in front of you or in the mirror can kill you if he/she isn't riding right. Maybe that is one reason why we are a close brotherhood?

As some of you know I have moved most of my forum activity elsewhere but I have a huge amount of respect and a strong emotional attachment for the membership here. I posted over here for those reasons, you folks are important to me and I hoped in my own way that Pop and I had become important to some of you.

I wish to sincerely thank all of you for your support, your prayers, your good vibes, good wishes, and your love. All of that means more to me than I can express and it means a lot to Pop. At this stage of his recovery a positive outlook can make or break the deal. You folks are helping with that.

This is just one example of how this can work:

Friday I received a package from a "friend" from another forum. Inside was a card for Pop and this:

I delivered the card unopened to the hospital yesterday but brought only pics of this little beauty because I did not want it damaged or in the way in the tiny hospital room where Pop is staying. Pop was moved. He was choked up. He asked me, "How do you thank a man like that? What words can say what you feel?"

I told him later that he was obligated to get better so he could ride to meet some of these folks that are supporting him from so far away. THAT is the incentive and the motivation I want to stir in him. And you good people are helping me do that.

So, this is my "Thank You" to 0Face, wheatonfjr, hppants, rbentnail, extrememarine, and the countless others who have called, PM'ed, posted, or just silently somewhere thought, "I hope that old man gets better". We appreciate you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the hospital yesterday and Andrew is right - Pop can feel your love and it is helping. The hospital food still sucks, but they are managing through that inconvenience.

That man is 4 years younger than my own dad. Dude is tough, man. Tough as nails, I tell ya.

Hello Redfish, I only arrive for the epilogue of this adventure.
Very happy that the end is pretty good for you. I just spent 1 hour reading. And I happily note that the motorcycle spirit, and the help between friends is very present. Thank you all
Good recovery

RFH, we're all pulling for Pops to make a speedy recovery brother. Please give him our best!

Also, thanks to the three of you guys for doing exactly what you are supposed to do in a moment of extreme crisis, staying calm and executing under the most difficult of circumstances.

Although this was probably the most difficult story you've ever written, Pants, I think even you outdid yourself in conveying the scene and the high emotion of those difficult moments. Your story will without a doubt go on to save many lives in the future just by making others more aware, not only in how to handle the situation after the crash, but hopefully in preventing it in the first place! Good on ya mate.

Just found this post. Gut wrenching is all I can say.

Andrew, I'm so glad that your Pop seems to have come through it, though certainly not easily. Though we have still not yet met, please pass along my best wishes on his recovery. As I'm sure you can attest, it's one of the biggest fears we all have when sharing our motorcycle passion with our close loved ones, whether that be a parent, a child or spouse that we share it with. Are we putting them at "too much" risk? But I think we unanimously will agree that the risk is well worth the reward. We make that choice every day, and with enthusiasm.

And Joey, you are a clearly a very good and highly capable friend. I am happy for Andrew and Pop that you were along with them that day.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your story with us here. For better or for worse, we really are one big, extended, sometimes dysfunctional family.

A brief update:

Pop is still in the hospital. He is able to get up, walk around, he is moving very well. Therapist is done with him, he says that Pop is completely mobile and does not need any physical therapy.

IV is no longer used, Heart monitor is off, diet is no longer restricted. Lung X-Rays look great, no longer on oxygen, his lung capacity is almost back to normal.

But... He keeps draining fluid from both chest tubes. They are confused by this. They say it should have stopped by now with the way everything else looks. This must end before he can leave.

Thanks for the update RfH. Continuing with the well wishes for a full recovery and more (s)miles on a new FJR.

--G

Great write up and inspires me to hold a few CPR and accident instruction sessions at a tech day. So glad the results here were positive.

What a gripping set of events - I could feel a pressure and weight on my own chest as the story unfolded. I can only imagine the sick feeling in your stomachs when it became obvious that Pops had gone down. I applaud your sense of calm and focus in a life or death situation - well done gentlemen!!

I too rode many miles with my Dad, watching him in my mirrors as he manhandled his Gold Wing for over 40,000 miles until Lou Gerig's/ALS took away his ability to ride and now has left him a shell of the man he use to be.

Each day with someone you love is a treasure and a gift from God - and sometimes we only discover that when it is indeed too late...

Best wishes to all involved is this rescue.

Brian the Biknflyfisher

Yay! Good news to start the weekend.

I know I don't have to tell you, Andrew. but maybe some others will benefit from hearing it:

Cherish every day you have with your fathers. Because...

I'll leave the rest unsaid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news Andrew.

You and pops have a great time shopping for a new scoot!
bike.gif

--G

PrologueThis is not my usual type of ride report. I’m sharing this with permission from my friends. It’s long winded and at times, rambles on – my apologies for that. I hope that we can all learn something from it, or at least be reminded that every day is special.

And life is fragile and too dam short Make every day count. Every single one.

Stay thirsty, my friends….
I read this last night but had to stop because it had me in tears... I was the accident victim many years ago so had perspective from my side of things... there were four of my very dear friends with me who, like you, were on the other end of the spectrum... witnesses to the trauma which is a trauma unto itself... I know how it affected them and that made me sad at the time for having put them through that as well as my daughter, family, friends... I know it I didn't do it on purpose but it was still there... but I saw a silver lining from it as I watched the bonds between those around me, with me, for me, get stronger and deeper which brought me a sense of contentment that good came out of it.

I'm really glad you were there, Pants, because you were definitely the right person at the right time and I'm sure you will always be a part of RFH and Pops family... many times we have family members that aren't related by blood but by spirit. Thank you for sharing this... I need to go reach out to my peeps and tell them, again, how much they mean to me. :wub:

I've been away from the forum for a little while and just found this ride report. The first part of the story sounded great, and then it went south in a hurry! Kudos to Andrew and Joey for keeping their wits about them when confronted with an extremely stressful situation. And Patrick sounds like a real stand-up guy to stick around and make things happen while out with a new riding group.

I'm so glad to read that Pops is recovering, slowly but surely. It'll be fun shopping for a new bike for him, I'm sure.