RIP ionbeam - 10/7/23

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just received the sad news that ionbeam, Alan Smith, lost his long battle with cancer this week.

I know there are many old timers that wondered how he was doing. There are a lot of us that owe a lot of our attained technical knowledge about our FJR’s to that inquisitive man. I only half jokingly used to call him the professor.

He was a great friend and riding companion, and a big part of our New England Riders Doing Stuff (NERDS) group.

It's hard to sum up Alan in a post like this and if you've ever had the pleasure of spending any time with the man you'd understand. He was someone that wouldn't hesitate to engage you in a conversation and left you feeling like you had a new old friend. An intelligent man always willing to share sprinkled with a subtle and witty sense of humor, usually accompanied with a mischievous smile. It was always a pleasure riding with him and he has been, and will now forever be missed.

I tried looking through my stash for pictures to add here, I'm seeing so many in my mind's eye but I'll be damned if I can find what I want. In the meantime a few memories from the Covered Bridges rides which brings back yet another thought. Helen was always sitting behind Alan and constantly had the camera going. We all enjoyed their postings afterwards.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/20...w-hampshire-tour-oct-18th.160153/post-1187779

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/2019-covered-bridges-of-new-hampshire-tour-oct-5th.176866/

Crap crap crap. Wayne and I had been trying to contact him to see how he was doing. I’m so sorry to hear this.
:(

So sad to hear this. He started the forum a few days before me and loved his depth of knowledge and easy-going style. And perhaps the highest praise I can possibly give on a motorcycle forum, I actually liked it and learned thing when HE talked about oil.

Sad news indeed - he was a kind and giving soul. His passion and wealth of knowledge here were second only to his willingness to share and to be helpful.

Wayne

So very sad. My condolences to the family. I had some communication with him awhile back but when I hadn't heard from him for so long I feared the worst. A truly kind hearted person so rare in this day and age. He is sorely missed.
:|

Just received the sad news that ionbeam, Alan Smith, lost his long battle with cancer this week.

I know there are many old timers that wondered how he was doing. There are a lot of us that owe a lot of our attained technical knowledge about our FJR’s to that inquisitive man. I only half jokingly used to call him the professor.

He was a great friend and riding companion, and a big part of our New England Riders Doing Stuff (NERDS) group.
Sorry to hear about Alan. Met him for breakfast a number of times in Milford and he did do the ride to the rock at least once. Helped me with a number of early FJR questions.
George

RIP, Professor Ionbeam. You will be greatly missed. It was a pleasure knowing you and Helen and riding with you both, and an honor to call you my friend.

Many of you know of Alan's technical knowledge, specifically FJR related knowledge, and his very generous dispensing of that knowledge. He didn't hold back if he thought he could help you with something.

One day back in 2004 after I had determined I needed a new FJR, I ordered one through Yamaha's PDP system and patiently waited for delivery. I had never seen an FJR in person at that point let alone sat on one. My curiosity was strong that spring.

I posted on the 'beige' FJR forum (whatever we called it in those times) asking if anyone in the southern NH, NE Massachusetts area owned an FJR they'd be willing to let me sit on and verify the 'fit' I expected given what I'd read about it. I was currently riding a Concours 1000.

A couple days later I got a response from Alan saying he lived nearby and was familiar with my location and that he'd be willing to ride to my house and allow me a test 'sit'. Wow, just like that. A few days later Alan and Helen show up on their beautiful 2004 FJR. We chatted for a bit ( a lot actually- Alan is famous for his gift of gab) and soon he's offering me a test ride on his bike. I didn't hesitate. I gave him the keys to my Concours, I jumped on the FJR and off we went. Within the first few miles, I knew I made the right choice for replacing the Concours.
This was how I met Alan and Helen. So friendly and generous. We rode together many times over many years and I met several other FJR riders through NERDS events that my wife and I enjoyed immensely.

Alan was a unique and interesting guy. If you got to meet him or just converse with him on the forum, consider yourself lucky. I do, and I'll miss him.

(My 2005 FJR showed up later that year and I fell in love immediately. I rode it for 12 years and sold it to my brother when I bought my 2014. He's still riding it and it stills runs strong at 140,000.)

Last edited:
Another FJR riding friend gone. So sad to hear this. I have not been paying attention and did not know that he was sick. The older I get the more friends I lose, and each time I hear about one I feel the loss. I don't know who I am going to ask next time I have a difficult technical question. RIP Mr. Beam.

Very sad news. RIP Ionbeam. He was a great source of knowledge and freely shared it with us.