RIP ionbeam - 10/7/23

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn.

Damn damn damn damn damn.

Alan was one of the first people I met at our first EOM in 2008. He was one of the people I really wanted to meet and he was so dang kind and fun and interesting to chat with, especially when he talked about his work. I kinda knew most of the words that were coming out of his mouth but I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about most of the time.

It was always great seeing Alan and Helen at the various FJR gatherings through the years. He will be missed. This one's a gut punch.

RIP, my friend.
EOM%20%2709%20257-X3.jpg

I'm new to the forum. Got my first FJR in fall of '22 ('17 ES...couldn't pay twice the $ of an FJR for a Winger or 40 year old technology in the shape of a V-twin). FJR clearly the best for a 5' 5", 60 year old with a 40 year road racing addiction.

Love it... but this post is about a guy I never knew: Alan, Professor, Ion, Mr. Beam, etc., whatever you called him.

Sounds like my brother who also passed away far too soon. The things they seem to have in common is an immense amount of knowledge and willingness to share. Though they both had these qualities, they also a willingness to take their own personal TIME to share and help others. Many times I'm sure it was not convenient (working on their own stuff until 2am because they spent 9-11 on the forum helping someone, family needed them for something, etc) but they did it anyway. TAKE THE TIME!: TO HELP OTHERS, FOR YOURSELF, FOR YOUR FAMILY, FOR WHATEVER. You may never get the chance for the things you'll do "in 3 or 4 years" after I... Take the time, it's the one thing that is limited, and we might have a bit less than we planned.
RIP Alan (I hope there is a pre-production '24 FJR waiting for you!)

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully he went quickly. RIP Allen. His pictures and reports were enjoyable to see. My condolences to his family. I haven't been riding much but I think it is time for a ride.

Dave

So sorry to hear this news. I knew Alan from our NERDS and Green/White Mountain rides here in VT and NH. His knowledge of the FJRs will be missed. My heart goes out to Helen. RIP Alan

Just received the sad news that ionbeam, Alan Smith, lost his long battle with cancer this week.

I know there are many old timers that wondered how he was doing. There are a lot of us that owe a lot of our attained technical knowledge about our FJR’s to that inquisitive man. I only half jokingly used to call him the professor.

He was a great friend and riding companion, and a big part of our New England Riders Doing Stuff (NERDS) group.
Rest in peace. ...

Damn.

Damn damn damn damn damn.

Alan was one of the first people I met at our first EOM in 2008. He was one of the people I really wanted to meet and he was so dang kind and fun and interesting to chat with, especially when he talked about his work. I kinda knew most of the words that were coming out of his mouth but I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about most of the time.

It was always great seeing Alan and Helen at the various FJR gatherings through the years. He will be missed. This one's a gut punch.

RIP, my friend.
EOM%20%2709%20257-X3.jpg

That is such an awesome photo of Alan. My mind’s eye camera has him in just such a pose, chatting about a mod, or a problem, or anything worthwhile about these silly bikes that we all love so much, out in the parking lot after a great day of riding, or at breakfast, or any time we got together. He had owned several other bikes prior, but the FJRs were special to him, as it is to many of us.

I looked back through the many of my saved photos of trips and rides that we had made together through the years. And there were many. Hardly a summer weekend went by for a number of years that we weren’t riding somewhere together, Alan and Helen on “2 Fun”, Josie and I, and the whole cast of local characters. But I could not find one that captured the essence of “ionbeam” quite as well as that one does.

Thank you.

Thanks, Ross. I had not seen him in that brief period. We moved north in early 2020 during the start of the plandemic. With all of the restrictions and his poor health we never got together again. That photo makes me feel like maybe he had a few good moments through the suffering. That we should all maintain that kind of positive outlook would be a good lesson.

What we say on this thread is mostly for the people he left behind who loved him and might get a good feeling from seeing how he was appreciated by us all. I never met Alan--wrong coasts, but when I saw a post from Ionbeam on any problem or issue, I always knew it would be a good idea or suggestion and right on point. A very valuable member of this forum and no doubt a valuable man to know personally. Sorry I didn't. Condolences to all who knew and loved him.

I never met him but like others respected and enjoyed his posts. I hope he and his family find peace. Requiescat in pace.