Sena 20S sorted out now after updates?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I totally know audio setups (especially with other devices) are some of the trickiest to integrate successfully. And I've been largely impressed with the Sena SMH10 with some personal efforts and hardware thrown at the process. Heck, with a 13 minute video at Revzilla..it only affirms audio setups are complex. I can always stick with the SMH10 and make it work for my case.

However, I do want to dangle the question of whether it might be worth it to migrate to the 20s. The single feature that's been the toughest for SMH10 is supposedly addressed in the 20s...the feature of "blending" or as I call it "mixing".

Critical

Riding solo and integrating ALL my critical devices at the same time and keep connectivity to these 3 devices in 4 modes. They are also in order of importance.

1. V1 audio in all cases (presumably using the Sena SM10 I already own is fine that converts to a bluebooth and has one spare audio port)
  2. 590LM Voice prompts
  3. Can listen to music from iPhone 6 Plus (through 590 LM is fine...or I also have an option of 60GB of music on the 590LM instead of the iPhone)
  4. Can place and receive calls from iPhone 6 Plus (I've had mixed experience routing through 590LM so far)
  • Using ear buds instead of speakers is critical. (I think the 20S does this fine)
  • Boom mic that works inside flip helmet and works while it is up is critical (Again, I think the 20S has this option in the box)
  • As or more reliable than the SMH10.

Important

• Ride and talk with to one or maybe two other rides is somewhat important. Others on SMH10, Carda, or Scala nice to have.
  • Battery life while listening to music entire time. (I've heard mixed reports whether they last longer, as long, or less than an SMH10) I've previously used a pair of SMH10 (usually 9-10 hours of music listening) and charge one in the tank bag while using the other. If the 20s lasts 12+ hours I'd be willing to plug in the charger for 2.5 hours twice a day instead of buying a 2nd one.
  • The phone app is interesting. If it helps achieve the things in the critical..great.

Unimportant

• Range isn't very important. SMH10 level is fine.
  • Don't care about radio
  • Voice Commands

I hope I've detailed enough for folks like FredW to weigh in. Those that have 20S and done this or similar...or upgraded from a SMH10....how much better do you think the 20S will work for me? Buying one isn't a big financial risk to me....but buying one, then having to get two because the battery lasts less than 12 hours , and then finding out my V1/590LM/6 Plus integration doesn't end up working would be a hit.

I bought my splurge, the Sena 20 S, while I was in San Diego and used it on the trip home to Chicago in January. I have a SMH 10 already and it had a serious failing for me. The earbud adapters kept breaking at about $30.00 each. The 20S cures that issue, but I had issues when it was very windy with the "Make a Voice Command" coming on by itself. I had no opportunity to update the software, also I was riding by myself so I didn't need to communicate with other riders. It handled Bluetooth from my Iphone 5 fine and worked well for phone calls in a Scorpion EXO 1100 helmet. I don't use a dedicated GPS, just my Iphone and that worked fine even with my Ipod 3G and Iphone both connected.

As to the battery life, I was able to use it on Bluetooth for 14 or 16 hour riding days if I remembered to plug it in to my spare battery (in my tank bag, during a couple of pitstops or during lunch. The key to getting past the 8-10 hour mark is to give it a little juice during your breaks.

The different setup for the boom mike and earphones made it worth the money for me.

Mine is good for 10 to 12 hours on the battery but with music from XM on my Zumo 550.

One thing that I don't like is not being able to run my phone [sprint GalaxySIII] through the gps. It syncs with the Zumo but the sound quality sucks. If I could use the Zumo with the phone, everything gets easier. Calling in, calling out, knowing who is calling and having the phone book.

I run both the V1 and GPS though a Sena SM10 that I'm going to hard wire for power. I have a USB port but don't want to have to stop and plug it in.

The phone control makes it much easier to setup.

I still have my SMH10 in a older helmet that I use on occasion.

I may be interested in the Sena 20S also. Trying to gather info from these type threads, having never used a comm system before. Currently have the Zumo 665LM and XM antenna for music. Have my I-5 paired to the GPS and using earbuds and a separate mic from the Zumo outputs. I have the same shitty sound quality on my phone (from calls) through the GPS but the music sounds great from the XM, so I think it's a Zumo issue and not your Sena's fault. Interested to hear more Sena 20 experiences from others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phone works great just blue-toothed to 20S but I miss all of the Zumo phone functions.

I have the same shitty sound quality on my phone (from calls) through the GPS but the music sounds great from the XM, so I think it's a Zumo issue and not your Sena's fault. Interested to hear more Sena 20 experiences from others.