Seriously Injured fellow FJR'er

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks FJRoamer, as I have been reading the threads in support of recovery, I have read some very confusing information and suggestions posted. Your recent posting takes aim at correcting any misinformation out to the many of us that want to support for positive and strong recovery. All of the inside scoop stuff, really is not of our(my) concern; only reports of Dennis' and his family knowing that there are prayer warrriors out in support for their endurance during these trying times. Please continue to update us so we can aim our prayers specifically for what is needed at hand.

Still in Prayer.

Harborview update...

For those regularly following this thread, todays news is a bright spot. I've just returned from a couple hours visit and it was my most encouraging one yet! I had a great time with Leslie as Dennis drifted in and out of sleep but he seemed to be enjoying himself so much that every time he nodded off and we talked about him, he would start smiling and make full sentence remarks as he opened his eyes and looked at us as if he was eager to 'rejoin" us.

We teased him and asked him if he wanted to take his dress (hospital gown) home and he rolled his eyes, looked at Leslie, slapped his forehead and said "sheesh!" His comprehension is coming back little by little. Leslie told him she had some chores lined up for him and he stared at the ceiling and said "what am I doing?" Now I mistook this for sudden confusion but Leslie said that's what Dennis says when he's about to go out and play but the "honey-do list" comes up. It was his wry sarcasm and then he had a big grin and looked around at everyone. An occasional belch then a soft "excuse me" with an almost childlike grin.... yep, he had us laughing and well entertained today and he would even pause, as if pondering some of our statements then give a short but well intended laugh. He even teasingly rolled his eyes a couple of times at his daughter as she was teasingly pestering him (in love).

This is all good! speech, sense of humor, movement, full sentences. But.... there are blank moments and maybe overstimulation and he sometimes has to be prodded for response but this is such an upgrade from two weeks ago. It is coming slowly and there will be therapy, some relearning and reorientation. He will be able to be released this week from Harborview to a less intensive care center and Leslie is working on that. Dan (Scout) is in Europe all this week and I'll be gone next week (Wed 7th) for a week, so our reports may not come through for a short while.

Once again, I would ask people to withold posts re; accident analysis, doctors analysis, and recovery prognosis. Harborview has been top notch and Dennis has been in superb professional care. Private matters need to be kept off this message board.

Leslie appreciates everyone's support and ongoing concern. Keep it up gang!!! :clapping:

thanks, Roamer

May all the support, encouragment and prayers continue on into the wee hours. We really want Dennis back amongst us but we have to be patient in these times, calm in our unknowingness, and reserved in our speculations. God IS at work, just don't ask me how :thumbsup:
A little at a time lest we start to believe WE have the perfect system/pattern and then start to think it's all about us. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a difference two weeks makes. Encouraging news, made my day. A sense of humor can go a long way. Like they say, laughter is the best medicine.

I just returned from the SWFOG and spent some time catching up here. Thanks to FJRoamer, Scout and Dennis' family for the reports. It is great to hear Dennis is getting along in a positive way and I can see that smile as that is what I picture every time I pray and send healing energy to Dennis. Great news, thanks so much.

May all the support, encouragment and prayers continue on into the wee hours. We really want Dennis back amongst us but we have to be patient in these times, calm in our unknowingness, and reserved in our speculations. God IS at work, just don't ask me how :thumbsup:
A little at a time lest we start to believe WE have the perfect system/pattern and then start to think it's all about us. :rolleyes:
Amen

more prayers and best wishes sent for Dennis and Leslie and all involved like Roamer and Scott

yay God, boo devil

Roamer - I hope you are able to give us an update before you leave for a week. I so appreciate your skills as a writer and your willingness to share glimpses of your visits. I smile each time I reread your last post.

I am thrilled at the progress Dennis is making. There are plenty of folks actively pulling for him and his family.

Melanie - it must be tough for you to be so far away geographically. Thanks for your updates to the forum.

Whenever I start to feel stressed about the accident, I go to page 4 and look at the photos Scout posted. They make me smile.

Go Dennis! We will be here when you are ready for us,

GG

Scout and Roamer here, we just returned from visiting Dennis at the Federal Way care center where he will be continuing his recovery. Leslie and her mom were there along with Leslie's brother and sister-in-law. Dennis' brother and wife also joined us as well. Dennis had just finished being up and about in a wheelchair so he was a little tired when we arrived.

It's been over a week since I've seen Dennis and I was very encouraged to see his level of response. When we entered the room, Dennis stretched out his hand and as we shook hands. As we talked, it's clear that Dennis still has a lot of work left to regain his motor functions and speech, but it was really good to see his improvement. As we talked, Dennis will track with you and continues to have his wonderful sense of humor. He is restless in bed (after three weeks laying around, I'd be restless too!) But all the body parts are moving and he continues to make progress relearning basic motor skills. He responds to questions, but his responses, are a little short and sometimes not entirely cohesive. His memory is slowly coming back and Leslie says he recognizes family members.

I'm not sure Dennis is able to really remember folks like Roamer and myself but he is always eagerly greeting us with a friendly smiling demeanor. We chatted with Leslie about whether it would be wise for Dennis' to have more visitors and the conclusion was Dennis really isn't ready yet. In the days to come, he will be working hard on rehabilitation and we will continue to pray for his full recovery. Roamer is leaving town for the next week or so. I'll try to continue to check up on Dennis and keep the gang up to speed on Dennis's recovery.

Roamer here - this posting has been a collaborative effort. As I ponder today, it was very encouraging, but I have the realization at the same time there is so far to go yet. So I encourage you all to stay on top of the prayer requests as it's easy to let that fall by the wayside. We may not post daily, but we will post whenever we have anything to share. Feel free to post your encouraging remarks and support because this has been very helpful for Dennis' family and we hope in time Dennis will be able to read and appreciate these thoughts as well.

Welcome back Scout and thanks for the update. I hope the time away helped you to deal with the trauma.

Dennis has a wonderful support system in just his family (including you and Roamer). My heart goes out to Leslie and the entire family.

I am glad that you noticed some improvements. This will be a marathon - not a sprint. There will be plenty of time for visitors when Dennis is ready.

Roamer - I hope the time away will help you to heal. You have been such integral part of Dennis and Leslie's lives since the accident. I really appreciate your posts.

I continue to pray for Dennis and his family.

GG