Setting the Record Straight about Deflate-gate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, what an advantage it was for Tom to use the ball that was under inflated by 2 psi. He went out and managed to sling it a long way for a completion. After the Colt made the completion he was able to determine that Brady's balls were soft
unsure.png
I'm sure Brady was proud of the results from that soft ball and the subsequent completion.

Boy, what an advantage it was for Tom to use the ball that was under inflated by 2 psi. He went out and managed to sling it a long way for a completion. After the Colt made the completion he was able to determine that Brady's balls were soft
unsure.png
I'm sure Brady was proud of the results from that soft ball and the subsequent completion.
Okay let's start a new rumour.

If Brady was able to fling an underflated ball that far then ball itself was inflated with hydrogen. That's why Belichik does not allow smoking on the sidelines.

unsure.png
Actually, D'Quell stated he didn't notice a thing. He gave it to the equipment flunky manager to save for him. It was he who "thought it was soft" so he took it away "as evidence". Somehow it actually was softer than all the other balls when they measured it. Who really knows what the pressure was when Brady threw the pick?

Okay let's start a new rumour.
If Brady was able to fling an underflated ball that far then ball itself was inflated with hydrogen. That's why Belichik does not allow smoking on the sidelines.
I already floated the idea that they were filled with helium gas. Much lighter than hydrogen and the rubber ball bladder would leak down through the game. Wouldn't be quite as exciting when someone nearby lights up though.

Last edited by a moderator:
...After the Colt made the completion he was able to determine that Brady's balls were soft...
Actually, D'Quell stated he didn't notice a thing. He gave it to the equipment flunky manager to save for him. It was he who "thought it was soft" so he took it away "as evidence"....
Ya, I knew that but since we are 1. not letting the facts get in the way of a good news story and 2. it doesn't serve the news story at all to consider that the soft ball was in the possession of the Colts before turning it over to the officials. Besides, now it's being reported that the Ravens told the Colts that the Patriots were under inflating the ball. I'm convinced that it is the work of Jimmy Hoffa to rig the betting pools ;)

I already floated the idea that they were filled with helium gas. Much lighter than hydrogen and the rubber ball bladder would leak down through the game. Wouldn't be quite as exciting when someone nearby lights up though.
No Fred, helium gas is NOT lighter than hydrogen gas. You should replace your Periodic Table that you are using because it is WRONG
no.gif

The atomic weight of a helium atom (4.002) is approximately four times that of an individual hydrogen atom (1.007), but since gaseous hydrogen is a diatomic molecule containing two hydrogen atoms (H2), helium gas is only twice as heavy as hydrogen gas.The Relative Lifting Ability of Hydrogen and Helium

Although helium weighs twice as much hydrogen, because each gas is so much lighter than air helium provides about 93% of hydrogen’s lift at full purity. In practical operation it is impossible to achieve or maintain 100% purity of either gas, reducing helium’s lifting ability to about 88% of the lift of hydrogen.

The actual lifting ability of each gas varies with temperature, pressure, and humidity, and to take account of varying atmospheric conditions and gas impurities airship designers often conservatively estimated helium’s lift at 60 lbs per 1,000 cubic feet and hydrogen’s lift at 68 lbs per 1,000 cubic feet.

Relative lifting ability of 100% Hydrogen vs. Helium

60° F, Barometric Pressure 29.92″ Hg

Weight of Lifting Gas (per 1,000 cu.ft.) Hydrogen 5.31 lbs vs Helium 10.54 lbs.

Weight of Air (per 1,000 cu.ft.) 76.36 lbs.

Net Lift (per 1,000 cu.ft) Hydrogen 76.36 - 5.31 = 71.05 lbs vs Helium 76.36 - 10.54 = 65.82 lbs.

No Fred, helium gas is NOT lighter than hydrogen gas. You should replace your Periodic Table that you are using because it is WRONG
no.gif

Blah, blah, blah, supporting factoids.
Wow. Slap down.
I feel Belichicked!
Not the first time there was a slap down without the gloves on coming from the frostback.

However, I used a match for illumination to review both the gasses and then it hit me BAM there is a major difference between hydrogen and helium. Hindenburg waves HI.

However, I used a match for illumination to review both the gasses and then it hit me BAM there is a major difference between hydrogen and helium. Hindenburg waves HI.
Thanks Ionbeam. Exactly my point which brings us back to the second part of my original comment on this matter about Belichik not allowing smoking on the sidelines. You wouldn't even see the smoke for the fire.
smile.png

Looks to me like a wet low pressure ball is harder to fling as far as a fully pressurized ball.

Now don't go applying logic to this thing, John, or you'll disappoint the inmates. ;)

Wow, it just keeps getting better. Either the guy had a clandestine mission to deflate the patriots game balls or maybe he had to take a wizz?

How could "Dougie Spoons" (SNL was way ahead of the rumor mill on this) manage to pull 11 balls out of a ball bag and deflate each by 1 psi in only 90 seconds. If he did, he is definitely a ninja of the deflation needle.

He's still going to get fired. He missed one
wink.png

But seriously, why the hell would the officials hand the two bags of just "pressure checked" game balls to a friggen Patriots locker room attendant? (reportedly both the Patriots and Colts ball bags were handed to this guy)

This is just amazing.

But seriously, why the hell would the officials hand the two bags of just "pressure checked" game balls to a friggen Patriots locker room attendant? (reportedly both the Patriots and Colts ball bags were handed to this guy)
This is just amazing.
What's the over / under in Vegas that the NFL will get a rule change for next season?

It is also rumoured that there will be a spycam inside the ball bag broadcasting throughout the Superbowl.

You'd thing that the ball bag would be sealed or zip tied or something while being transported to the field by an official. Otherwise, why bother with the inspection in the first place?

I wonder if any of these morons have anything real to worry about; like, poverty, war, crime, abused children, or SOMETHING intelligent people may give a flying fuck about. Gawd, I hate professional sports. I would celebrate the day they canceled all that crap and made those douche bags go get real jobs with paychecks in line with their minimal skills. McDonalds and the local Quikie Mart would be overrun with applicants.