Settings for Ohlins/Cogent Suspension Upgrades

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
For those who participated in the recent Ohlins/Cogent Suspension Group Buy...

I'm starting this thread to provide some basic information along with my personal recommendations on settings.

1. REBOUND - Some of you received Ohlins shocks with spring rates influenced by my personal knowledge of your size/weight/riding style/special preferences. Especially for those folks (and you know who you are), I recommend closing the Rebound damping by two(2) clicks, to 14-clicks. Ohlins ships the shock with their stock settings of 16-clicks Rebound.

2. COMPRESSION - Ohlins ships the shock set to twelve(12) clicks compression. I recommend leaving it there for average conditions. Whether you have the YA-707 with remote preload adjuster, or the YA-036 without remote preload, IMO the Ohlins compression clicker is one of their best features. It's extremely effective with a wide range. You can easily run compression from 9-16 clicks with a pure, linear change experienced. Below 9-clicks compression, the adjuster begins to effect both high-speed and low-speed compression significantly. Above 16-clicks, the adjuster remains predominantly effective for low-speed compression, but the adjustments become more exponential.

My personal recommendation is to stay within a 9-16 click range, with 12-clicks(default) as your average setup if you ride solo with mostly empty side bags. As you increase load you can close compression down toward nine(9). If you remove the side bags or do some serious long-distance time, opening toward 16-clicks will noticeably soften the ride.

3. PRELOAD - Not to be confused with Remote Preload, Ohlins ships the shock with 14mm preload on the installed spring. This will likely give you a slightly higher seat than the stock setup. As long as you aren't uncomfortably tippy-toe, give it a try. I would not tamper with the default 14mm preload without giving Rick/Cogent a call and having discussion with them first. You will notice the FJR turns much quicker with the slightly increased seat height/rear sag. IMO you'll love the change.

4. REMOTE PRELOAD (YA-707 only) - The typical payload variations of the FJR present a big challenge for even the best of suspension setups. We commonly ask the suspension to go from solo with no bags, to 2-up with three bags fully-loaded. We're talking a weight/payload change that often approaches 300 lbs.!!!

Here's a little performance riding tip for you... Try keeping your side bags mounted at all times. Then tweak your solo setups to include the side bags. That helps significantly reduce effects of payload variation(s).

What you are aiming for is good solo performance with the remote preload all the way out (CCW), and good fully-loaded performance with the remote preload at, or near fully clockwise. There are exceptions of course, like long periods of slab time when even 2-up, you want to reduce the preload (CCW) for a more plush ride. It's similar to flipping the OEM shock lever to SOFT.

Hope this helps someone. As always, Rick/Cogent/Ohlins are there to support their products too. They just don't get to ride as many FJR miles and varying conditions as I do. :)

That's it, I've had enough of this valuable HA info crap.

You are moving to my hood.

I'll find you a job.

Then, you can offer up, for free of course, all sorts of great KrZ8 settings!

Good stuff Jeff - I'm not running that setup, but very valuable info from a very fart-smeller, err, uh, smart feller! ;)

Good information Jeff, thanks! I'll be springing (pun intended) for a shock in the not to distant future so this info will come in handy.

--G

Jeff,

I received my shock and forks back from Cogent. Thanks again for setting up the group buy. I'm sure in 2 or 3 months when I get to ride again, it will be awesome. When the forks & shocks come back from Rick, does he have baseline settings already dialed in for us? I'm waiting to hear back from Rick on this and if so what my settings should be, since my forks aren't set the same. I'm not in a hurry or anything, this is just as close as I get to playing with my new toys...

I see you have some recommended shock settings, do you have any recommended settings for the cartridges? Do either differ significantly for a Gen I?

Thanks,

-Paul

Jeff,

I received my shock and forks back from Cogent. Thanks again for setting up the group buy. I'm sure in 2 or 3 months when I get to ride again, it will be awesome. When the forks & shocks come back from Rick, does he have baseline settings already dialed in for us? I'm waiting to hear back from Rick on this and if so what my settings should be, since my forks aren't set the same. I'm not in a hurry or anything, this is just as close as I get to playing with my new toys...

I see you have some recommended shock settings, do you have any recommended settings for the cartridges? Do either differ significantly for a Gen I?

Thanks,

-Paul
Rick typically sets the forks carefully before shipping them out. We spoke several weeks ago as he was putting the finishing touches on the first batch of forks. One minor change was made at that time.

My forks are currently running a 15/15 setup. That is, 15-clicks Rebound, 15-clicks Compression. Since the Yamaha Front Compression Clicker starts to behave "funky" at roughly 22-clicks, and since my setup is about as "sporty/firm" as anyone would ever want, Rick decided to reduce the compression just a bit. That should make 15-clicks compression more of a middle-ground setting, with the preferred usable range in the 6 to 22 click realm. To replicate my particular setup, the production fork kits would run something like 15-Rebound and 8-Compression.

Having said all that... my recommendation is to start out at 15-Rebound, 15-Compression, 3-segments showing on the preload adjuster. That should be the shipped settings.

Rick typically sets the forks carefully before shipping them out. We spoke several weeks ago as he was putting the finishing touches on the first batch of forks. One minor change was made at that time.

My forks are currently running a 15/15 setup. That is, 15-clicks Rebound, 15-clicks Compression. Since the Yamaha Front Compression Clicker starts to behave "funky" at roughly 22-clicks, and since my setup is about as "sporty/firm" as anyone would ever want, Rick decided to reduce the compression just a bit. That should make 15-clicks compression more of a middle-ground setting, with the preferred usable range in the 6 to 22 click realm. To replicate my particular setup, the production fork kits would run something like 15-Rebound and 8-Compression.

Having said all that... my recommendation is to start out at 15-Rebound, 15-Compression, 3-segments showing on the preload adjuster. That should be the shipped settings.
Thanks for the input and baseline settings, good to know. The shock came at 13/13. The forks came set different from one another for some reason. They were 15&11Reb/11&11Comp. One was 2 lines showing, the other 4. I'm sure Rick will set me straight here shortly as well.

Thanks,

-Paul

For those who participated in the recent Ohlins/Cogent Suspension Group Buy...

I'm starting this thread to provide some basic information along with my personal recommendations on settings.

4. REMOTE PRELOAD (YA-707 only) - The typical payload variations of the FJR present a big challenge for even the best of suspension setups. We commonly ask the suspension to go from solo with no bags, to 2-up with three bags fully-loaded. We're talking a weight/payload change that often approaches 300 lbs.!!!

Here's a little performance riding tip for you... Try keeping your side bags mounted at all times. Then tweak your solo setups to include the side bags. That helps significantly reduce effects of payload variation(s).

What you are aiming for is good solo performance with the remote preload all the way out (CCW), and good fully-loaded performance with the remote preload at, or near fully clockwise. There are exceptions of course, like long periods of slab time when even 2-up, you want to reduce the preload (CCW) for a more plush ride. It's similar to flipping the OEM shock lever to SOFT.
If you want to be a little more fussy the main reason for having the remote preload adjuster is to bring the ride height back to the correct value. Once the suspension is correct for your solo riding load the bike up for your maximum load (2 up, all the luggage, etc) and then use the preload adjuster to bring the rear sag back to the same value as solo. You then should add some more compression dampening (more clicks in) to control the extra load that the shock is controlling and some extra rebound dampening to control the extra preload you have added to the shock.

Don't overdo it, just try 2 clicks on both compression and rebound and try it and make sure you keep track of what you have done. Since most of the weight is being added to the rear of the bike you will probably find that there will not be much need to adjust the forks between light solo and fully loaded.