SFO '10 Pics, Videos, Stories

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mud baths are nice but that's taking things a little too far... :blink:

3fc5ef5f.jpg

Glad to hear you are OK. Did have your wife with you ?
Nope, just me.

Wingman playing submarine. Hope you checked your final drive fluid...
I checked it and found no evidence of water intrusion in the final drive. I was planning to change it when I got home Sunday, but I don't think there was enough left in the bottle to completely fill it. I'll get it changed when I get back in a couple of weeks just to be safe.

All you fabricators out there... Please get busy on an outrigger farkle to be made available prior to next years SFO outing!
Actually. . .outriggers aren't required. The bags work quite well as flotation devices, and didn't leak a drop. I don't think they are USCG approved though.

Post splashdown. Glad I had a support crew to help pull me out. Thanks again guys.

I came over a small rise at about 25-30 mph and the road made a small bend to the left at the top. When I tried to correct to the left the front tire just kept sliding to the right. I had bled off some speed and probably hit the ditch at 15 mph or so. Damn that water got deep quick. I got it aimed back toward the road but ran out of momentum and traction before I got back out of the water. No real damage to the bike, other than need a towel and blow dryer.

photo5.jpg

Still draining water out the weep holes several minutes after exiting that massive hole. It didn't look that deep as I was sliding off into it. Glad I kept it upright though, water in the intake would have made a bad day worse. Still smiling though. :yahoo:

photo4.jpg

You would think after this I would have the good sense to just turn around and head back to the blacktop. Nope. It took the following spot to make me realize that when you try to mud wrestle with a 700 pound pig, the mud wins every time. I managed to pick up the bike before the photo crew showed up.

Not sure if you can see the large clumps of mud on the slider and left bag (near right knee). What you can't see from this angle is the mud on every padded surface on the left side of my pants and jacket. Also a sizable clump on the left side of the helmet and visor. ATGATT, even when riding in the mud at 10 mph. My left thumb tried to remove the windshield, but only got two of the plastic bolts. My thumb hurt a bit Sunday, but was fine by Monday. I think I pulled a couple of muscles in my arms when I picked up the bike, but those are back to normal now.

photo3.jpg

Anyone wanting to tag along with me next year will be required to sign a liability waiver. :blink:

Now that's pretty impressive for an FJR peep. You are hereby issued the coveted 'non-street pussy' status award!

photo3.jpg

Now that's pretty impressive for an FJR peep. You are hereby issued the coveted 'non-street pussy' status award!
I had been kind of off my game all day, but looking back it would appear I was out of my mind as well. :dribble:
+1 to dcarver, that's some slick looking shit. Thanks for the deep water test!

I came over a small rise at about 25-30 mph and the road made a small bend to the left at the top. When I tried to correct to the left the front tire just kept sliding to the right. I had bled off some speed and probably hit the ditch at 15 mph or so. Damn that water got deep quick. I got it aimed back toward the road but ran out of momentum and traction before I got back out of the water. No real damage to the bike, other than need a towel and blow dryer.
photo5.jpg
This past Monday I heard about this. Gramps and I were waiting at a red light in Harrison, AR. A trucker on my right yells down at me; "Are you down here with the Forum?"

"No. We, we missed it by a week."

"I thought maybe you stayed for an extra week of riding. Wingman floated his bike..."

At the next red light Gramps asks me what he said. I tell him and we both wonder what it means. I decide it's some sort of colorful Southern expression that we Northerns don't understand.

Holy Shit. Our trucker friend meant it literally!

Glad to hear you and the bike are o.k.

This past Monday I heard about this. Gramps and I were waiting at a red light in Harrison, AR. A trucker on my right yells down at me; "Are you down here with the Forum?"
"No. We, we missed it by a week."

"I thought maybe you stayed for an extra week of riding. Wingman floated his bike..."

At the next red light Gramps asks me what he said. I tell him and we both wonder what it means. I decide it's some sort of colorful Southern expression that we Northerns don't understand.

Holy Shit. Our trucker friend meant it literally!

Glad to hear you and the bike are o.k.
Actually, the trucker you were talking to lives down the street from me. He's not remotely Southern, though. (North of the border actually). He told me he talked to some guys on FJR's going through Harrison, but I didn't realize he was telling everybody he could find. :glare:

That is a crazy story!! Wingman is famous Infamous!
There, fixed it for ya.

David

I was riding with these misfits and am no where in sight...my high viz jacket is draped across Isabella, so I'm sure I was listening to my mantra of "never pass up a bathroom"
lets ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'
Here ya are, Mike

008.jpg