SFO 2013 Must Ride Roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMGM

FJRMGM
Reaction score
for those of you new to this area you will find it has some spectacular roads to ride around the Jasper area.

Pretty much every secondary road listed between and including HW 23 (Pig Trail) which is to the west and west of HW 65 which is to the east and north of I-40 which is on the south and south of HW 62 which is to the north are spectacular and twisty.

A great loop (and one of my favorites) would be to take HW 7 north to Harrison then SW on HW 43 south to HW 21 south all the way down to Clarksville then come back up HW 123 (switchbacks just before Mt Judea) all the way to HW 65 then north to HW 206 west back to HW 7 and south on it for a couple of miles to The Hub. The elk herd can be seen on HW 43 just south of Ponca and before Boxley on HW 21.

All of HW 21 south out of Berryville all the way to Clarksville is a spectacular and scenic twisty ride and one of my favorite routes

All of HW 7 north out of Hot Springs clear up to Missouri is a spectacular ride but not as twisty.

All of HW 27 from Russellville up to Marshall and east of that is a great ride.

HW 74 east and especially west out of Jasper to 43 is excellent. Several switchbacks west of Jasper.

HW 16 from HW 23 (Pig Trail - another great road) on the west all the way easy to HW 65 in Clinton is fabulously twistie.

If you want a ride with absolutely the most twisties you can get, take HW 7 north out of The Hub all the way to Lead Hill then go south on HW 14 all the way to where 27 meets it east of Marshall and go west on 27 to Marshall and go west on 27 to 16 and go north/west on 16 over to HW 7 back to the Hub. If you just stay on HW 14 east of Marshall you take you east and HW 341, which is the infamous Push Mountain road, will intersect 14 from the north and you can ride it up and back down to 14 and go west from there. Miles and miles of great banked corners and great scenery on 27 and 16 west of Marshall.

Damn, I just realized I have about five days of riding lined out here - guess you guys will just have to stick around longer.

Oh well, sacrifices have to be made.

Pretty much every secondary road listed between and including HW 23 (Pig Trail) which is to the west and west of HW 65 which is to the east and north of I-40 which is on the south and south of HW 62 which is to the north are spectacular and twisty.
Lots of good stuff....this is all you need to remember!

Last year I actually put together a twisty butt 500 route that leaves from the Hub. It includes all of the good stuff and has all you would want for a day of twisty ridin.

If there are some that want to run a 'quick' pace and see 300, 400 or all of the route...I'll be glad to lead and show off my backyard. (I live 3 miles from the Hub)

Come on good weather!

Last edited by a moderator:

Last year I actually put together a twisty butt 500 route that leaves from the Hub. It includes all of the good stuff has all you would want for a day of twisty ridin.

If there are some that want to run a 'quick' pace and see 300, 400 or all of the route...I'll be glad to lead and show off my backyard. (I live 3 miles from the Hub)

Come on good weather!
Think "leanier"!

Last year I actually put together a twisty butt 500 route that leaves from the Hub. It includes all of the good stuff has all you would want for a day of twisty ridin.

Come on good weather!
Think "leanier"!
LOL Took me a while to respond because I spewed my coke and had to clean off my keyboard! That is still my favorite motorcycle term!

Yep...there will be some sections that will definately be leanier. The route includes; middle and lower 123, 103, 215, 23, 16, 27, 14, 74, 263, push north and south, 9 to melbourne and back, etc.

I have not graduated to the ranks of map machines so I can not post a file. But I will bring to the Hub an old fashioned paper map with the route outlined. Then anyone can do as little or as much of it as desired.

I'm a slow learner...
smile.png
But you will really do 500 miles of twisties in a day, you're serious about the mileage or just calling it the 500?
It's definitely 500+ miles. Did that back in 2009. However, it's not like it's 500 miles of the Dragon...no route will do that...but it is fun!

one must definitely ride a "quicker pace" to get in a 500 mile day in this area.

But keep in mind two things:

1) these roads are very unforgiving of a moments inattention due to being tired

2) medical help can be miles away and cell phone coverage is spotty or non-existant.

one must definitely ride a "quicker pace" to get in a 500 mile day in this area.

2) medical help can be miles away and cell phone coverage is spotty or non-existant.
+1 concentration is key.

But keep in mind two things:1) these roads are very unforgiving of a moments inattention due to being tired

Hence the reason I'm usually "puttin'" by mid-afternoon. Can't focus all day long. Most times I recognize when I need to back-off and just soak up some scenery.

Good info on the roads to ride.

We have done it a couple of times in a total of 9 hours. Thats 8am to 5pm...a good days ride. Some it has taken all 12 hours. Say 7am to 7pm...another good days ride.

And items 1 and 2 above are true and relevant from mile number one! Seen more than my fair share of riders go down after only being out a short time. A moments inattention due to anything can bite you in these here parts. Also, if you simply are not familiar with running LOTS of continuous curves, a flatlander, don't let the excitement get you overconfident and in over your head. Ride your normal pace!

Here is one more great loop that is not real long at 54 miles but is very scenic and takes you up to 2100 feet to the top of Gaither Mountain just south of Harrison where there is a fantastic view of the valley. Riding down into Ponca on HW 43 is spectacular because you go from 2000 feet down to 900 feet in the river valley.

This loop is all within a 20 mile radius of the The Hub so if you get in early and want to do more this is it.

From the Hub:

Take HW 7 north about three miles to left on HW 206 west/north

Take HW 206 west to left on HW 43 south

Take HW 43 all the way down to Ponca - the first three miles south of Ponca on 43 is where you can see the elk but you come back north to HW 74 east.

In Ponca, take HW 74 east back to HW 7 north in Jasper - switchbacks on this very curvey road!

Take HW 7 the ten miles back north to The Hub.

From the Hub:Take HW 7 north about three miles to left on HW 206 west/north

Take HW 43 all the way down to Ponca - the first three miles south of Ponca on 43 is where you can see the elk but you come back north to HW 74 east.

In Ponca, take HW 74 east back to HW 7 north in Jasper - switchbacks on this very curvey road!

Thanks. Sounds like good way to warm-up tires.

From the Hub:Take HW 7 north about three miles to left on HW 206 west/north

Thanks. Sounds like good way to warm-up tires.
LOL - its me that needs warmed up in the morning!

I just don't think I have it in me for the 500+ ride, as it will be ~650-660 miles for me to get there. (10-12hrs guessing).

I have not graduated to the Iron butt leagues yet like a lot of you guys. Some good info in those routes, I've been studying the maps and getting excited :)

It's been a few years since I've been down there. My brother(worldbound4now) and I ran the twisty butt and ended up finishing first. We ran a very ummm...."Spirited" pace but a safe one. I think our longest break was a single 20 minute break to get a sandwich at a gas station. Hope to do this again sometime. Maybe next year. Gotta save up for a wedding this year.