Shad brand topcases!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred we're all so different. Sometimes the only thing motorcyclist have in common is that both of our bikes have two wheels. Other than that we all do things differently. Whatever works for the individual is all that matters. :)

For instance I ride nude on Mondays. It's just what works for me. :eek: ...... :lol:

For instance I ride nude on Mondays. It's just what works for me. :eek: ...... :lol:

:rofl:

Oh geeze!! :eek:

No nude riding around here right now. :cold:

Well the one entirely subjective thing that we two can definitely agree on: The Bass Bote Blue FJRs are clearly the most beautiful. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred we're all so different. Sometimes the only thing motorcyclist have in common is that both of our bikes have two wheels. Other than that we all do things differently. Whatever works for the individual is all that matters. :)

Hey, then maybe you and Fred aren't so different after all! :clapping:

First of All, a Big Thanks to GeorgiaRoller for posting the Shad Top Case info!

Here is the Shad SH48 Top Case on my '03, keep in mind the OEM Original Top Case was 39L:

This is Without the Silver Topper Option.

_5HelmetsInSideRearView.jpg

https://www.shadonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=81

Glad it worked out for you 03HiYoSilver!

I got the color top plate for the case. All I can say is that it definitely matches the 2005 stock blue color! Not sure how their other colors would match some other year FJR's or not.

But I like how it links the looks of the topcase to my sidecases now. I'm pretty happy with it.

ShadColorTopPlate.jpg

I suppose that this just supports the concept that we all have our own personal needs, desires, and aesthetic tastes. For me, I'd much rather deal with the side opening saddlebags, and keep the carried weight down low, than pull the saddlebags off and run with just the top case on. The only reason I can envision that being "the best way to go" is the commuters in CA that need to stay thin to lane split. To me, having the side bags off and a rear trunk sticking up in the back just looks odd. But as I said... to each his own.

On solo day rides I generally leave the left bag empty and put any gear I need in the right side bag, because it will be facing up when the bike is parked on the side stand. The empty left side bag is where I can quickly stuff my helmet and gloves at stops. I do use those nylon buckled straps inside to help arrange and restrain the gear from shifting around inside the right bag.

My rear trunk only goes on if there will be a passenger (her back-rest) or for an extended trip, which usually includes said passenger.

For my first EOM trip I went without the pillion, but with the rear trunk for the added storage space. I had not yet mastered the concept of minimalist packing when riding, back then. Now I would easily fit my own gear into the two side cases. The trunk without passenger did create some squirrelly aerodynamics, but only at higher speeds and in the turbulent air of interstate highways with the truck traffic. Below ~75 mph it has never been apparent to me under any conditions. It isn't an unsafe condition, as far as I can tell, just an undesirable wobbly feeling.

My aesthetic preference (and yeah, I even like the black Bagster tank cover). On tour, in Nova Scotia, June 2011

561.jpg
I can vouch for the missing side cases with a top case installed in Cali. I see it all the time. I commute 80 miles a day with a lot of the lane-splitting with the side bags on. I just like the space. It is challenging though since these damn bikes are slightly wider than a full dress Harley! I do agree that acces is certainly easier with the top case though.

Glad it worked out for you 03HiYoSilver!

I got the color top plate for the case. All I can say is that it definitely matches the 2005 stock blue color! Not sure how their other colors would match some other year FJR's or not.

But I like how it links the looks of the topcase to my sidecases now. I'm pretty happy with it.
Your Topper looks Great..

again, much Thanks for sharing your find and Info on this wonderful product.

Has anyone trid to build a topbox mounting frame that transfers more of the weight forward on the frame than the Yamaha grabrails and the GIVI metal replacement grabrail frame?

I understand that the current design places most if not all of the downward force way out back directly over the taillights and the part that bolts down under the seat is mostly subject to upward force, preventing the rack from pivoting down when under load. I think that adding an extension that bolts further forward under the rear, or even the front, seat would help in reducing the stress the rear subframe is subjected to.

I'll see if I can draw a picture in a few minutes.

....now where are my crayons?

I am strongly considering an SH50. I thought that the top case comes with a universal mounting bracket that would fit right on to the FJR. According to your post, you had to buy another fitment rack. Is that optional?

What do you think about this deal? https://www.classiccruiser.com/Shad-Motorcases/SH50-Hard-Top-Motorcase-50-Liters/840401/ Seems to be the best I can find online for an SH-50.

Any input/feedback would be much appreciated.

Has anyone trid to build a topbox mounting frame that transfers more of the weight forward on the frame than the Yamaha grabrails and the GIVI metal replacement grabrail frame?

I understand that the current design places most if not all of the downward force way out back directly over the taillights and the part that bolts down under the seat is mostly subject to upward force, preventing the rack from pivoting down when under load. I think that adding an extension that bolts further forward under the rear, or even the front, seat would help in reducing the stress the rear subframe is subjected to.

I'll see if I can draw a picture in a few minutes.

....now where are my crayons?
Thinking about sometihng like this:

Original (thanks to the original poster):

FJRrack1.jpg

Extended:

FJRrack2.jpg

If my thinking is right (and it often is not) this should shift the weight forward to where the current grab rails bolt under the seat. Just not sure if the weight bearing arms are now too long to hold the weight without support from underneath.

If there were actually something under there to fasten that to, and if there were room for it inside the seat, and if you could make it absolutely rigid so it didn't hammer at the rear buklhead over every bump, then yeah, it shifts the weight forward. But every pound in the top case is going to be a couple of pounds at the front of the grab rail, and three or four pounds upwards at the extended forward arms.

You'll save the rear subframe (maybe,) but your rack will break right behind where the extended arms attach, and your top case will hit the pavement.

I am strongly considering an SH50. I thought that the top case comes with a universal mounting bracket that would fit right on to the FJR. According to your post, you had to buy another fitment rack. Is that optional?

What do you think about this deal? https://www.classiccruiser.com/Shad-Motorcases/SH50-Hard-Top-Motorcase-50-Liters/840401/ Seems to be the best I can find online for an SH-50.

Any input/feedback would be much appreciated.
I absolutely love my SH-50

photo.jpg

Two is better than one! :)

Well I got a second Shad topcase. I already have the SH-45 but I wanted a smaller one for solo dayride rides that wasn't so big. So I got the SH-26. Angie @ Shad gave me a discount & free shipping and I got the case delivered to my house for under $70! :blink:

I've just never personally been a fan of big tank bags. I like to keep my tank area clean and unencumbered. I'd much rather prefer to have a waterproof, lockable hardcase that sits behind me for my gear. The SH-26 can hold one full sized helmet whereas the larger SH-45 can carry 2 full sized helmets. I'm shocked as to how much space the smaller SH-26 can still hold! I can carry an extra helmet shield, larger digital camera, GoPro camera & mounts, gloves, windshield cleaner & rag and it still has tons of extra space. It should workout perfect for 400-500 mile solo dayrides.

So now I'm all set. The universal mounting plate works for either case size. I can use the larger SH-45 topcase & OEM side cases for multi-day 2up touring. And I can keep the OEM side cases off & just use the smaller SH-26 topcase for dayriding. I like the more slender sportier look of my solo ride setup...plus I still have lockable storage space...best of both worlds IMO :punk:

Comparo1.jpg

Comparo2.jpg

Comparo3.jpg

Solo dayride setup!

9200px-DSCF2761.jpg

If you want a really strong mount then its got to be the Givi 5 point rack, I'm pretty sure that the Shad plate will mount to it. This Givi system has been on the bike over 60,000 miles and has taken a lot of abuse with no issues, the standard Yamaha grab rail is far to flexible. The photos show the bike just before a 2,000mile trip to the Pyrenees last month, when camping it get more of a load than this.

Readytogo2012001.jpg

Readytogo2012003.jpg

If you want a really strong mount then its got to be the Givi 5 point rack...
Agreed!

There is no denying that the Givi mount bracket is the strongest. If you gonna do heavy loading on your topcase I would suggest at least the Givi mount for sure, then decide if you want the Givi or Shad trunk.

For guys like me that are a pretty light packer and I don't strap stuff to the top of by topbox I can get by with the Shad mount. Those considering between a Shad or Givi should take this into consideration before ordering.

From my understanding you should really never overload the topcase. If you do, I always thought you were taking a chance of breaking the welds on the subframe that it's mounted to. Several people have broken theirs. I forgot what the weight limit is. When I pack the bike I always put light stuff in the topcase.

Fudgejerkins... are you a woman? I ask because women are prone to overpacking. that looks like a lot of shit! Do you actually use it all?

Edited to add: Oops, I see this post is old. Still, I'd check on the previous mounting advice before overloading ANY rack... OEM or aftermarket. Well, unless you don't care about broken subframes & whatnot.

I just read this entire thread and thank everyone for their contributions and photos. I'm a much more educated consumer!

As part of my purchasing a 2013 FJR1300 I opted for the Yamaha 50 liter top case, it is big and the mount is ugly :yahoo: , but it is quality made, very Shadish, if not made by Shad. Also very similar to the top case on my former K1200GT. I like the double wall thickness, keeps beverages cooler in hot weather. Now I have to find a case liner to carry my stuff in. :dribble: