Shaft Drive/ Final Gear Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyducks

Reaction score
Hello,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has been so helpful in replying to my noob posts, with only a few of you poking fun at me, you all have been great. I recently went to a dealership to buy some oil and filters, while there i decided to get shaft drive oil. Since this is the first bike ive owned with shaft drive, i asked them which one i should get. The clerk went into the back and then told me the one on the shelf is what the guys in the back use. (see photo below)

Well i wanted to be sure about this and have found out the spec oil is much more expensive. Should i return this oil, and ask them why they sold me the wrong stuff, and should i use the part number that Yamaha specifies?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the spendy FJR specific stuff, commonly referred to as whale jizz. Many around here use the Mobil1 75w-90 gear oil available at any auto parts store, and even places like Walmart. I've used that also on occasion.

It's not uncommon for Yamaha dealerships to use the 'general' shaft drive oil. How much of a difference does it make? Who knows. Supposedly the FJR specific stuff has an anti-foaming agent for *high speed operation*, whatever that is.

I get the FJR specific stuff from Gary McCoy at Mondak motorsports when I make a consumables order from him (oil filters, air filters, and such). Cost from him is $17.14 a pint plus shipping. A pint lasts at least two changes, and with 16,000 mile change intervals it's not all that expensive in the long run.

The Whale Jizz:

WhaleJizz.jpg

I use the spendy FJR specific stuff, commonly referred to as whale jizz. Many around here use the Mobil1 75w-90 gear oil available at any auto parts store, and even places like Walmart. I've used that also on occasion.
It's not uncommon for Yamaha dealerships to use the 'general' shaft drive oil. How much of a difference does it make? Who knows. Supposedly the FJR specific stuff has an anti-foaming agent for *high speed operation*, whatever that is.

I get the FJR specific stuff from Gary McCoy at Mondak motorsports when I make a consumables order from him (oil filters, air filters, and such). Cost from him is $17.14 a pint plus shipping. A pint lasts at least two changes, and with 16,000 mile change intervals it's not all that expensive in the long run.

The Whale Jizz:

WhaleJizz.jpg
thanks... i called mondak and Gary no longer works there. I wonder if discount is still good?

Valvolene make an 80-90w semi-synthetic gear oil that I've used in my cars for years and my 07 FJR. It's inexpensive and good quality. I change the gear oil every 2 to 3 oil changes. It's cheap insurance to keep the bike happy and smooth.

The Whale Jizz:

WhaleJizz.jpg
Called Mondak today and Gary McCoy no longer works there.......that's all I know.

I just used some dino 80-95w laying around the garage, I think it was Valvoline. Works great so far after about 20K miles...

FWIW, my local dealer told me any 80-90w Hypoid oil would work. I still have a few quarts from when I had the BMW, so I used that.

Sounds like I may need some whale jizz... ;)

My dealer has recommended that I change the rear end oil on each oil change. Not a big problem as it only holds .2 of a liter.
What kind of crazy recommendation is that? Its a 16,000 mile change interval for crying out loud. What factual basis is he using for his anal-retentive recommendation?

I've been changing mine every third oil change with non whale jizz. So far so good, I've been using Valvoline and standard Yamalube and nothing has blow up yet.

My dealer doesn't stock the whale jizz, they say they have seen no issues from running standard gear oil in FJR's with over 100K. So, it appears to be a non-issue.....................................................................................

My dealer has recommended that I change the rear end oil on each oil change. Not a big problem as it only holds .2 of a liter.
What kind of crazy recommendation is that? Its a 16,000 mile change interval for crying out loud. What factual basis is he using for his anal-retentive recommendation?
Maybe...? they also sell BMWs...? :unsure:

I've been changing mine every third oil change with non whale jizz. So far so good, I've been using Valvoline and standard Yamalube and nothing has blow up yet.
My dealer doesn't stock the whale jizz, they say they have seen no issues from running standard gear oil in FJR's with over 100K. So, it appears to be a non-issue.....................................................................................

What'ever'y'do, don't use the rear-end lube that they put in BMWs... :rolleyes:

Latest posts