Shakin, Down, but not Out!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real sorry to hear this Ian. Yet not surprised to hear that something like this couldn't wipe out your sense of humor humour. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Damn Ian, I am so very happy to hear that you will be ok eventually. This could've turned out much differently. Be safe & heal fast bud, Heidi

duplicate threads merged to help focus concerns better.
Thanks Bounce... was gonna ask you to merge them, since we had two independent threads in two separate forum areas.

Griff
Yeah, Thanks Bounce. I wasn't sure where to post this and didn't find another thread. It's probably a good thing we don't have need for a Forum section just for this kind of post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frickin' dumb assed cagers !! Heal quick and well Mr Shakin
smile.png

What they all said Ian - heal up quick and get a deposit down on that metallic red 2014 FJR that I'm sure is coming...
rolleyes.gif

Sad news, but glad to hear you'll pull through! All the best with your speedy recovery!

I gave Cindy a call tonight, she seemed in good spirits and focusing on the future and healing...... I passed along good wishes from the FJR brothers and sisters.......

I visited Ian today at St Mike's Hospital in downtown Toronto. They are planning to transfer Ian to a Rehab Hospital tomorrow so the healing process now starts in earnest. Ian's spirits are pretty good and the staff at St Mike's have been excellent as Ian went through the initial surgery & pain management phase.

The insurance adjuster is thinking the bike is repairable but the bike is going over to Pickering Motorsports and the boys over there will write up the estimate on the repair. Based on what Cindy told me in the end it appears that the bike will be a write-off when the estimate comes in.

Right now Ian is not planning on getting another bike but it is still very early in the healing process. The fact that Ian has gone through two big get-offs over the last year is weighing heavily on him. I believe they will be transferring him to the St John's Rehab Hospital which is associated with Sunnybrook Regional Health Group and is a highly respected facility in the rehabilitation field. Ian is getting the best care possible and it won't be too long before Ian can return home to continue his recovery.

Cindy sent out an e-mail last night with a little more information....

We have some positive news this time. The surgery on the shoulder on Monday went well, and the surgeons decided at the last minute to let the ligaments and knee damage heal on their own. So the shoulder is in a sling, and will be immobilized for weeks. They repaired some fractured bone and his torn rotator cuff. The right leg is in a splint to keep the knee immobilized. But that’s the end of surgeries for now.Ian’s left side is regaining a bit of motion now that the wrist is not so sore. They put a cast on it, but he can manipulate the fingers a bit.

Physio has had Ian out of bed and sitting in a wheelchair. They didn’t get adventurous and go for a ride, but it’s a minor triumph all the same.

The insurance company has approved a personal support worker to spend some time with Ian each day, which is quite a relief. Gives me a chance to do other family and work stuff.

We’ve decided the boys will go to their grandmother’s house in the Gaspe for two weeks in late July/early August. Much more interesting for them than sitting at home during the beautiful days of summer.

Ian is scheduled to move to a rehab hospital in the Toronto area in tomorrow (Friday). He is feeling up to having visitors now, so for anyone who wants to come by:

St. John's Rehab

285 Cummer Avenue

Toronto, Ontario

Canada M2M 2G1

416-226-6780

Visiting hours are 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM but Ian will be in rehab therapy sessions twice a day.

I'm going to be in T.O for the Lee Parks course in a couple of weeks (reminds me, I still need to book a hotel!). If he's still in Rehab, I'll stop in.

Ian is such a nice guy with horrible luck

Here's to Ian's recovery and day where there is no pain.

Don

Is there anything the forum can do to help Cindy and/or Ian? (I mean, other than sending prayers/karma/energy.) Do they need anything we can provide?

Anyone have an extra FJR lying around for when Ian gets out of the hospital?