Shift Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunkie

Reaction score
For those of you who have, from time to time, had a fairly spirited ride I have a question. My Feejer has always had a little rough shift from 1st to 2nd. On the advice from several road warriors on this forum I simply quit worrying and rode it. For the most part everything has been fine. However, when riding in a spirited way and sifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd really seems to snap when going into gear. 3rd and on up are fairly normal just a slight bit louder than normal. Is this a result of having to shift through neutral? My only concern is that it really makes a hard metallic snapping sound where the other gears don't at the same rpm. I don't want to damage it or have a problem and overlook it when a fix could be simple now and expensive later. My gears dogs never slip once engaged.

Any thoughts welcome. I intend to simply ride it and enjoy it just curious if I should have any concerns or if it is fairly normal.

For those of you who have, from time to time, had a fairly spirited ride I have a question. My Feejer has always had a little rough shift from 1st to 2nd. On the advice from several road warriors on this forum I simply quit worrying and rode it. For the most part everything has been fine. However, when riding in a spirited way and sifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd really seems to snap when going into gear. 3rd and on up are fairly normal just a slight bit louder than normal. Is this a result of having to shift through neutral? My only concern is that it really makes a hard metallic snapping sound where the other gears don't at the same rpm. I don't want to damage it or have a problem and overlook it when a fix could be simple now and expensive later. My gears dogs never slip once engaged.

Any thoughts welcome. I intend to simply ride it and enjoy it just curious if I should have any concerns or if it is fairly normal.
I do think the shift form 1st to 2nd is a bigger travel and a bigger snap than any other upshift. 3-4 and 4-5 are a little 'snik'

But what's that smell? Do you think it's normal? :)

I do think the shift form 1st to 2nd is a bigger travel and a bigger snap than any other upshift. 3-4 and 4-5 are a little 'snik'

But what's that smell? Do you think it's normal? :)
Probably a lame post, however, the shift really does seem out of character. I know it is hard for anyone to diagnose without actually riding it. Just hoping a few owners might read this and say, "yea mine seems a little like that as well". I don't have experience with different motorcycles to be able to make a comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta get her broke in. Have you reached 100k miles yet? HOHOHO All of the bikes I've owned make a little more racket going from 1st to 2nd. My '91 Zookie GSX 1100 G was pretty similar (in shifting feel) to my FJR. However, based on what I've seen and read thus far on this forum, the Feej is a well built bike with strong components designed to go a lot of miles. I have read on the forum that some oils can make a bit of a difference. But I haven't heard of anybody breaking a tranny yet. I assume your oil is clean. It would seem that you have nothing to worry about, but if you need some peace of mind, take it up to your fav Yammie shop and have 'em take her for a spin. For an interesting read, check out this site clicky about shifting.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta get her broke in. Have you reached 100k miles yet? HOHOHO All of the bikes I've owned make a little more racket going from 1st to 2nd. My FJR is no different. However, based on what I've seen and read thus far on this forum, the Feej is a well built bike with strong components designed to go a lot of miles. I have read on the forum that some oils can make a bit of a difference. But I haven't heard of anybody breaking a tranny yet. I assume your oil is clean. It would seem that you have nothing to worry about, but if you need some peace of mind, take it up to your fav Yammie shop and have 'em take her for a spin. For an interesting read, check out this site clicky about shifting.

Gary

darksider #44
Thanks Gary. Reading now.

No issues on my 04 especially when spirited riding. Only time it is clunky is if I'm lazily shifting at low speeds and not let the rpms lag down before shiting to 2nd.

Was just talking to another 08 owner tonight about his tranny which started to drop 2nd gear, and he also had the dry clutch issue and he said it was always very rough shifting form 1-2 until they soaked his clutch plates, unfortunately it was too late for his tranny, but Yamaha did replace it under warranty. You probably are familiar with the whole dry clutch plate possibility.

2nd really seems to snap when going into gear.
Talk to me - what does this 'snap' sound, feel like?

Dog gears engaging, a 'crack' or 'thump' sound?

I need to ride your bike for about 50k miles to make a true evaluation.. :lol:

I would ride a few other FJR's and determine if yours has any difference from 1st to 2nd than those you test ride. Shift forks can get bent/worn from forced shifts which would impact shifting.

How many miles do you have on it and have you owned it since new? Has your bike always shifted this way? What type of lubricant are you using in the transmission?

Sounds like the geardogs skip the first engagement then seat very hard into the second. Hard do describe any other way.

It is an 08 bought new in 08. I haven't looked at the clutch. It has 19k on the clock.

Sounds like the geardogs skip the first engagement then seat very hard into the second. Hard do describe any other way.

It is an 08 bought new in 08. I haven't looked at the clutch. It has 19k on the clock.
Techjunkie,

On advice I received here on the forum, I have been using a small amount of STP with oil changes for years, with that, for me,

shifting, even between 1st and 2nd is smooth as butter. Not saying that caused it, but it could be, have over 20K miles on 05 with ABS, FYI.

Rhody...

I've found that it shifts easier from 1st to 2nd at lower rpms. I know this goes against the "spirited riding" part, which I totally understand. As you've mentioned though, up through 3rd, 4th, 5th, no problem...maybe you can resume your "spirited-ness" through that range.

What type of lubricant are you using in the transmission?
I'm guessin' the same lubricant he's using in the motor???

really? I never knew that .. and what is it that oil he is using? Here I thought the oil pump pulled oil from the transmission to lubricate the engine (valve train, crank and bearings ect). I had no idea that you were to actually put oil in the engine too... :lol: Guess some of you guys really know your $hit.

I have found if I preload the shifter it goes much better for me. Not sure if that is clear but I put upward pressure on the shifter with my boot and I shift firmly and quickly. I do not think the FJR likes a lazy shift at all and especially when banging gears up. It is really from 1st to 2nd that I really concentrate on the preload of the shifter but it becomes habit after awhile.

Techjunkie,

On advice I received here on the forum, I have been using a small amount of STP with oil changes for years, with that, for me,

shifting, even between 1st and 2nd is smooth as butter. Not saying that caused it, but it could be, have over 20K miles on 05 with ABS, FYI.

Rhody...
Tried this at last oil change. Seemed to help somewhat.

Try changing your shift lever location.

I'm guessing you might get a more positive upshift if you lower it a bit.

Just a thought....

Try changing your shift lever location.

I'm guessing you might get a more positive upshift if you lower it a bit.

Just a thought....
Thanks for the thought, however, did that one already. I had one of the mechanics that also raced look at it. Told him the issue and he adjusted it for me. Made some difference during normal riding but nothing has changed with spirited riding where rpms are high.

I am thinking I need to pull the clutch plates and give them a soak. Might help might not but at least that question is answered.

preloading is a great idea for normal shifting from 1st to 2nd but when shifting at high rpms it's not applicable. I'd definitely soak your clutch plates, it's the next logical step. Hope it helps. The only real difference compared to the other gears is that the 1-2 shift is a bit of a longer throw (nudge?) than the others.