Shoie RF-1200: Caution.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to use Rit dye on our model airplane canopies back in the day. They were a different (softer) kind of plastic so it probably won't work on the faceshield, but maybe I'll give it a try on one of the old ones I have laying around just for giggles.

I've got a Transitions shield on my Bell RS1.
I remember when I bought it the sales doofus tried to sell me the Transitions shield at the same time I bought the helmet ($400 for the helmet.. and get this, $175 for the shield!).

No thanks.

Flash forward and the same dealer was overstocked on the tinting shields and offered me one for $75 even. I had just sold my CBR2-fitty and has some spare cash so I bought it.

Ya, after a full summer with it, I can say, it's worth $175. But it just burns my ass that it IS worth $175.

What were we talking about again? Oh ya? Shoei sucks... right.
Just how fast does that Transition transition? Is it an all-day process or just a minute. At it's darkest is it as dark as what we traditionally think of as "dark smoke"?

Thanks.

Just curious, Is the problem here Shoei or is it Pinlock? Who makes the lens?
BTW if you can't spell Shoei (shoie?) it might not be your helmet anyway.
I'm pretty sure the helmet manufacturers make their own shields and install pins to accept the Pinlock gizmos.

You're right. I forgot the rule " i before e, except after Sho". Dang it.

I remember when I bought it the sales doofus tried to sell me the Transitions shield at the same time I bought the helmet ($400 for the helmet.. and get this, $175 for the shield!).

No thanks.

Flash forward and the same dealer was overstocked on the tinting shields and offered me one for $75 even. I had just sold my CBR2-fitty and has some spare cash so I bought it.

Ya, after a full summer with it, I can say, it's worth $175. But it just burns my ass that it IS worth $175.

Just how fast does that Transition transition? Is it an all-day process or just a minute. At it's darkest is it as dark as what we traditionally think of as "dark smoke"?

Thanks.
Pretty much instantly. Something way less than a minute. As for the darkness of the tint. I like nearly black shields ('cept at night natch), and this, at it's darkest, is between a full dark and light. Theirs been times I wished it got darker. But those are offset by the hundreds of times I didn't have to carry, or, stop and swap, for a clear.

When it's at full light, it still carries a very subtle tint, say, 5%, which seems to help a bit for glare from oncoming headlights.

Like I said, its STOOPID expensive, but it is worth it. I've got a season and a half out of this shield as well, it's wearing well, but it's getting time for a replacement.

You can see it full black in this pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97920820@N05/10052545686/

Last edited by a moderator:

No thanks.

Thanks.
Pretty much instantly. Something way less than a minute. As for the darkness of the tint. I like nearly black shields ('cept at night natch), and this, at it's darkest, is between a full dark and light. Theirs been times I wished it got darker. But those are offset by the hundreds of times I didn't have to carry, or, stop and swap, for a clear.

When it's at full light, it still carries a very subtle tint, say, 5%, which seems to help a bit for glare from oncoming headlights.

Like I said, its STOOPID expensive, but it is worth it. I've got a season and a half out of this shield as well, it's wearing well, but it's getting time for a replacement.

You can see it full black in this pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97920820@N05/10052545686/
Thanks much Bungie. If Shoei uses the same shield manufacturer that may make the RF-1200 a viable option yet. As, other than the silly shield tint, it's an altogether fine helmet.

What is it about designers that causes them to go into a psychotic frenzy whenever they see something that works quite well just the way it is?

The silly shit people bitch about.
Says the ever complaining Doofus with a Wonderful and Adoring Beautiful Wife who worships the Ground he walks upon! Jerry I'm with 'Zilla about wearing sunglasses, I ride in same Central Arizona weather that you do and my Ray Ban Wayfarers work just fine under my Schuberth C3! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Says the ever complaining Doofus with a Wonderful and Adoring Beautiful Wife who worships the Ground he walks upon! Jerry I'm with 'Zilla about wearing sunglasses, I ride in same Central Arizona weather that you do and my Ray Ban Wayfarers work just fine under my Schuberth C3! jes' sayin' and nuff said!
Yes, but you are so photogenic that you want the cameras and all your adoring fans to recognize you.

Dang Don! How do you put up with the summer Arizona in-helmet temps with a clear visor? I'll stipulate that you're a tough old bird and I'm a little weenie. But still..... I tried the venerable "AZ sunlight" test in my backyard with both the RF-1100 and RF-1200 shields. With the 1200, the helmet temp shot up by at least 10 degrees immediately compared to the 1100. And it's Freakin February!

...solid defense against photo radar?!?! How about just riding at the speed limit or taking personal accountability if you choose not to?
Did you actually just say that on the FJR Forum? Seriously?
Hey I'm not saying to not twist the wrist and let the beast breath I've been know to do so myself but if I get pulled over I'll deal with the results.

I use a RF-1100 and personally I like the clear shield and swap between a clear insert and a dark insert. When light levels are low I use the clear. When it's bright I use the dark. No issues with storing a insert on the bike when it's not in use, get the value of keeping the heat down inside with the dark lens, no fussing around with sun glasses and better viability. Unfortunately I could not find a dark lens for the RF-1200 on-line in the US.

Beemerdon, sunglasses will NOT affect in-helmet temperatures. Did you read the post?

Slardy

Shoei seems to go through this "no (actually) dark smoke shield thing every so often. Last time they did, I went to Arai for a while. I had a Neotec briefly, but dumped it because of the temperature issue, and because I couldn't get a high-rez shield for sh***y weather. I didn't love the internal visor either.

As to the Transitions shield: Photochromic plastic works competitively between UV (activating) and ambient temperature (fighting activation). Meaning: Any photochromic material gets darker when it's cold, and less dark when it's hot. The material also has a "memory" of sorts, so it has a finite service life. Meaning it will be both less dark at its darkest and less clear at its lightest as it ages. Neither of those factors makes me enthusiastic about spending large dollahs on a darkening shield.

So, I'm with AKjitsu on this one. Shoei appears to be addressing a problem that doesn't exist, or failing to meet a consumer desire that does exist.

I tried a RF1200 and had to sell it due to fit issues.

I've always used the mirrored shields, and agree that it cuts down on the heat.

I was also disappointed that the mirrored shields for the 1200 were a lot lighter than

the previous generation.