Shopping for frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Jekyll

Reaction score
I'm looking for frame sliders for my new bike and have already done the prerequisite search that's required and found that many threads that recommended a member here named Skyway and his products but when I tried to PM him it said he no longer takes messages. Is he stil around? If his prooducts aren't available I'm assuming the next set to look at are the Motovations. Thanks!

Is he still around???? Ummm.... :blink: No. You will see after some additional searches that there is some history with that supplier!

+ 1..... Go with the Motovations... they are very nice...

Is he still around???? Ummm.... :blink: No. You will see after some additional searches that there is some history with that supplier!
Yes, like here.

I bought some off ebay - bolts were fine. Dropped the bike in the parking lot and squashed the slider. WTF??? Bought the Motivation ones, dropped the bike again in the parking lot (OK, different parking lot) - barely a scratch on it. I imagine you get what you pay for.

Couple more options from Wild Hair Accessories. I've had great success with the GSG Moko on two different FJR's. Cheap is OK sometimes, but you do get what you pay for.

--G

I have been thinking about frame sliders for my 03. I have noticed they come in both direct bolt on and cut a hole in the fairing style. Somewhere in the past I saw some one say the way direct bolt on ones go on can actually be more damaging to the frame in a crash than the fairing modification ones. Any one have thoughts on this?

The idea on that is that the stress point is different, and maybe a point not actually able to handle the load.

The difference, of course, is that on a Gen-I the engine mount bolt (best place to put a slider) is not accessible through the fairing slot, you have to put a hole in the fairing. The "bolt-on" sets have a bracket that mounts onto the frame and they hold a slider that does fit through the fairing slot. That puts the crah load in a different place, maybe a weaker place.

There is one bike a couple of years ago that used the engine-bolt sliders that actually broke the bottom of the bolt hole off of the bike frame in a crash. I do not recall if he was able to get the frame repaired with a weld or if he had to replace the frame. Unique situation, though, only one that I know of.

I have the R&G sliders on my '03, have actually had to use them twice. First one, the bike slid off the road and the slider dug in to the dirt, bent the bolt when it hit a rock ro something. Second one was actually faster, but didn't go off the pavement, just ground the slider down. First one didn't save the fairing, second one did. No frame damagae in either case.

DSC02684sm.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

As for how they look on the bike, I have no problem with them. Lots of folks don't want to put a hole in the fairing, but you can't see the hole, so it's a "so what?" to me.

DSC02471a.jpg

I'm convinced I need a set of sliders now. Wfooshee definitely needed his. Anyone know where the best place to grab Motovation sliders is?

+ 1..... Go with the Motovations... they are very nice...

Agree withneverything, Skyway & Motovation ;-) !

I will give a vote for the Motovations for several reasons. They protected the plastic on my first '06 through 2 drops, a low speed gravel slide, adn performed well during the wreck that ultimately totaled the bike. (Man that makes it sound like I crashed every time I rode the damn thing.)

The other great thing about them is that you can get parts for the sliders, not just the complete kit. For example,the sliders from my first '06 are still in very good shape, but the bolt that held the left side slider on was bent while I was "Ditch Surfing." I was able to order a replacement bolt (I tried to buy one locally from several places, but no luck) for the slider, which meant I only spent $20.00, instead of having to spend $80-100 to replace the entire set.

I like my Motovation sliders. Dropped the bike twice (at 0 mph both times). No damage to frame, fairing, saddlebags, or mirrors. Gentle drops, but they did their job regardless.

I will give a vote for the Motovations for several reasons. They protected the plastic on my first '06 through 2 drops, a low speed gravel slide, adn performed well during the wreck that ultimately totaled the bike. (Man that makes it sound like I crashed every time I rode the damn thing.)

The other great thing about them is that you can get parts for the sliders, not just the complete kit. For example,the sliders from my first '06 are still in very good shape, but the bolt that held the left side slider on was bent while I was "Ditch Surfing." I was able to order a replacement bolt (I tried to buy one locally from several places, but no luck) for the slider, which meant I only spent $20.00, instead of having to spend $80-100 to replace the entire set.
OES can also supply you with just the parts you need to replace if you crash, but we won't charge you $20.00 for a bolt.