Short inseam concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand why yer doing it. Just understand that you've reduced the distance you'll be able to ride before your butt bottoms out on the pan.

I have a 31" inseam, so this Gen3 does make it interesting for me.

When I ride two up I have my wife get on the bike first. With the bike on the side stand she stands on the riders (drivers) foot peg, steps up and swings her leg over the seat and mounts the bike in the rider position (while I hold the left handle bar). She slides back to the pillion position. Once she is on the bike, the suspension is "squashed" a bit more and then I slide my leg in front of her and mount the bike and have better footing.
On my tip toes, if I get on first, I can't hold the bike comfortably for her to mount in the traditional way by stepping up on the left passenger peg.

Ladies first.........it's the way it is.

Bill Hamilton
I've seen some other couples mounting that way, and have an idea for you to try regardless of your stature.

You mount first, as normal from the left side, with the bike on the side stand, then slide forward in the seat and hold the front brake.

She mounts from the right side by stepping onto the passenger foot peg with her right foot, grabs your shoulder(s) and swinging the left leg up and around the back (or over and through) then sitting down. Dismounting is just the reverse.

Lifting her leg up and around the back is easier if there is no trunk or backrest to deal with.

Either way is made easier for her by the bike leaning away toward the side stand, which makes the right side foot peg higher.

Because the bike is on the side stand it is very stable and her weight on the right side peg actually takes some weight off the side stand.

With both of your weights on the bike, it will settle and be closer to upright, so easy enough to get vertical and get the side stand up.

We also have our headset cables on our right sides, so the cables do not tangle up since she is getting on and off to the right.

Try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the short inseam: Yeah, I'm on tip-toes at every stoplight. To shift or use the foot brake, tilt the bike a little to the left or right and flat-foot that side. No big deal.

As for passengers, I've always climbed on first, then had the women climb on like getting on a horse, just like FredW described, except from the left: left foot on the left passenger peg, stand up and swing the right leg over. Since I don't use a top box, ladies have never had difficulty. Right side sounds easier, though.

My wife doesn't ride with me much, but dang if she hasn't figured out the smooth motorcycle mounting technique. I stand the bike up and she climbs on very smoothly with little fuss. I forget how smooth she is and am immediately reminded when other folks climb aboard.

My wife doesn't ride with me much, but dang if she hasn't figured out the smooth motorcycle mounting technique. I stand the bike up and she climbs on very smoothly with little fuss. I forget how smooth she is and am immediately reminded when other folks climb aboard.
It's always good when you are impressed by your wife's mounting technique.

I knew someone would go there. WheatonFJR wins.
This IS the FJRForum...

...where anybody can pull a gixxerjasen.
biggrin.png

I realize I may be a bit late to the party on this discussion, but here's a $122 solution to us sporty shorties. I took my Dianese boots to a shoe repair shop and had 1/4 inch soles put on. The tread on the bottom is that of a work boot, so there's plenty of grip. While I still have to do the "one cheek sneak", I can fully plant my left foot down at a light without shifting my weight too much to the left. Keeps me very stable. However, when backing the bike up I still have to be on my toes (both figuratively and literally).

Hey Simo,

I'm a "towering" 5'5 1/2" (70 years have stripped away 2", from my all-time "high") with a 29" inseam, and not only did I find the stock seat a little too high on it's low setting, but also really friggin' uncomfortable, after 27 years on an '81 750 Seca that fit me like a glove! How Yamaha could possibly go backwards in comfort, over those 27 years is truly beyond my ken. . . Anyway, after my first 250 mile ride (had to take a break after 125 miles), I got a Corbin from somebody here on the forum, and road that for about a year; it was a step up in comfort, and brought me a bit lower to the ground, but still wasn't . . . ummm. . . all that comfy, so I wound up trading my stock seats for a Rich's custom, straight across, again, to someone here on the forum, and man, I love it! Not sure I'm any closer to the ground than with the Corbin, but it's definitely more comfortable!

Hope this helps!