should I buy new or used?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny

Reaction score
I'm real real close to dropping the money on a new 2012 FJR, then today the dealer just got a 2012 with 1800 miles that I can get for about $1200 less. The used one has the owners manual, soft bag liners but no extra lock (which I didn't plan on using ) and no saddlebag hole covers, and no warranty ,but it has sliders -about $60 and a throttlemeister -about $125. It looks brand new, I rode it for about 30 minutes and I'd say it's all good. I would think it's a no brainer and pay the extra $$ and buy brand new, but I thought I'd put this out to see if someone brings up something I'm missing.

My preference is to buy vehicles new and keep them forever, that way I know history from day 1(including break-in). Not only will the new bike have a warranty but this will also allow you to purchase YES at some time in the future which is a very popular option.

I hope you are negotiating a deep, deep discount on the new 2012. It IS a previous generation bike, after all. Even so, the dealer likely has even more room to negotiate on the used bike.

Not knowing the dollars you are talking about, I would say if the difference is about 10-15 percent, buy the new one. At 20 percent, buy the used one. in between, toss a coin.

My two cents.

Posting the price of the new 2012 would help some people advise you on whether you are getting a deal or not. There are some really good deals out there right now. Personally I would say go for a brand new one. The used one could have been used at the drag strip
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 2012 with 4400 miles for $8900. with two sets of new tires and a corbin seat plus a VStream windscreen...and never got a bite.

I traded it for a leftover 2013.. gave $3000 difference. They gave me $8400 trade, and I keep all the extra's. The new 2013 was $11,400 OTD.

Smitty

You're looking at a three model year old vehicle, make sure you don't over pay for either one.

The "new" '12 should be no more than approximately $11,500 so the used bike should be in the $10k range. Bargain hard with your dealer, they should be motivated to move either model. Plenty of great buys out there...be patient and the right one will come up.

Good luck!

--G

Remember you're just entering the time of the year when unbelievable deals abound. It is indeed a buyers market. You don't have to settle for great prices. This is the time of year when amazing deals are common place. Fro example: this one's sold, but check the price: CLICKY

Gary

darksider #44

Keeping in mind that our sales tax here is almost 10% (Washington state) the new one would be 12,200 OTD and the used would be 11,000.OTD.

Keeping in mind that our sales tax here is almost 10% (Washington state) the new one would be 12,200 OTD and the used would be 11,000.OTD.
So you're saying you can buy a new '12 for $11,100ish plus TT&L?

BUY THE NEW ONE! Having a warranty and the ability to add a 4 year YES makes it a no brainer.

--G

I was one of the first adoptee's on the US FJR's. `1.5 years and 50K miles later I sold the bike, and have regretted it ever since.

Yesterday I bit down on a new '12 for $10K OTD. If warranty work past a year is necessary then my experience has shown Yamaha is willing to step up to the plate.

"the dealer" is the problem when talking used bikes. You can always do better buying from a private party. Best part is your not shopping for a sport or dirt bike that could have been ridden hard and put away wet so to speak.

Most FJR peeps take better care of their bikes than those punk ass kids
wink.png
A good seller may just just report the selling price lower than actual sale to save on the tax.

The link I sent above about the one that was sold? There's another just like it for sale nearby, follow the thread I sent you above. Another possibilty: See below, located in Fondulac, Wisconsin. Fly n drive? Their webiste: CLICKIE HERE They might be willing to negotiate further as they're likely to be sitting on it for a long, hard winter.

2013 FJR 11,299

Pro Motorsports

86 N. Rolling Meadows Drive
Fond du Lac, WI 54937
(888) 253-2898

I am astounded by the crazy deals that can be found on used FJR's. Of all of the great things that are FJR, holding value is not one of them. Buying used is such a bargain on a bike with such great reliability.

Its a tough question. A lot of folks talk about the advantage of the warranty and extended warranty, but through my extensive research of FJRs in the last year, FJRs have an excellent history of not requiring maintenance.

Its a tough question. A lot of folks talk about the advantage of the warranty and extended warranty, but through my extensive research of FJRs in the last year, FJRs have an excellent history of not requiring maintenance.
Might change that to "not requiring major repair". Appropriate maintenance is key in preventing the need for major repair!

Might change that to "not requiring major repair". Appropriate maintenance is key in preventing the need for major repair!
I'm not disagreeing with you, but as the new owner of a 2012 FJR, what typical "appropriate" maintenance is covered under the warranty that I might need to be mindful of?

Beary

I'm not disagreeing with you, but as the new owner of a 2012 FJR, what typical "appropriate" maintenance is covered under the warranty that I might need to be mindful of?
Beary
See owners and service manuals for scheduled maintenance.

Peruse Bin O Facts on this Forum for your particular model year.

Beary
My point was that FJRs need maintenance just as much as any other bike. None of this is covered under warranty. FJRs have been VERY good in terms of (not) needing major repairs under the manufacturer's warranty. Adequate maintenance (by owner or by dealer) is critical.