Side Panel Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyQuest

Reaction score
An unfortunate accident occurred within the last couple of days, that has left me bummed out. No injuries, no other vehicle involved, no moving parts, except two hardbags falling from a shelf. I had stored a pair of panniers above my beautiful 05 FJR, on a shelf about two feet above the bike. I thought they were secure enough, but alas, not so. They both fell somehow and damaged both sides of the plastic surround panels below the fuel tank. Fortunately, no damage was done to the tank. I am just sick about it, the bike previously was nearly without flaw. The left panel was broken at the “fold over” line, about where your knee and thigh would sit against. My question is, has anybody had much success in repairing these panels, and if so, how did they go about it? I was thinking a fiberglass patch on the inside, and superglue to the actual inner faces of the crack, but perhaps there is a better way? If any in our community, would care to comment, I would appreciate your time and insight.

Talk to someone who repairs automotive plastic panels. Plastic "welding" and a repaint. I wouldn't use superglue, but ABS cement might work OK. Fibreglas patch on the inside for strength (as you suggested) might be a good idea.

I'm sure somebody has done, or attempted a repair like that but I have never seen it and it is going to be very difficult unless you really know what you are doing. Most folks would just replace the panel. The problem is, Yamaha most likely doesn't make new one's anymore.

I would be on ebay looking for a replacement. 2004 will work too but you will have to repaint it.

I had previously posted info on a great plastic panel repair and paint matching magician here in north Texas. You might consider giving him a call or sending an e-mail. He does do work via mail/shipping. Guaranteed he can repair any tupperware part and match the paint perfectly.
Mike Zoulek
https://www.mikezoulekscustoms.com/
[email protected]
940-999-7552

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. I will likely use all of your suggestions in my repair process. The real bummer is that I feel like I have just lost the value of a nick and damage free, low mileage, 2005 FJR with a trunk and other good stuff, to the value of an average bike with a few blemishes. Did I mention I was wrong in my initial assessment of damage, I did find about a 3” crease in the top of the fuel tank. Youch! The last tank that I had repaired and repainted cost $600.

I know how you feel. I'm the same way about any self-inflicted damage to cars, trucks, boats, bikes, home. It weighs on me until I get it fixed. Do what you need to do to get through it.

An unfortunate accident occurred within the last couple of days, that has left me bummed out. No injuries, no other vehicle involved, no moving parts, except two hardbags falling from a shelf. I had stored a pair of panniers above my beautiful 05 FJR, on a shelf about two feet above the bike. I thought they were secure enough, but alas, not so. They both fell somehow and damaged both sides of the plastic surround panels below the fuel tank. Fortunately, no damage was done to the tank. I am just sick about it, the bike previously was nearly without flaw. The left panel was broken at the “fold over” line, about where your knee and thigh would sit against. My question is, has anybody had much success in repairing these panels, and if so, how did they go about it? I was thinking a fiberglass patch on the inside, and superglue to the actual inner faces of the crack, but perhaps there is a better way? If any in our community, would care to comment, I would appreciate your time and insight.
Just purchase new panels from Yamaha. Better and probably not a lot more expensive. Body shops charge a lot as I found out on a VFR my son dropped, in the end just bought new Tupperware

While we’re shedding tears here on the Forum, the other day my son backed my immaculate 2014 out of the garage to get to his 300lb. lighter V-Star and forgot to put the kickstand down. Dropped it right in the driveway.
Mirror, front and rear crash bars, and handlebar end all damaged.
Life happens. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. I will likely use all of your suggestions in my repair process. The real bummer is that I feel like I have just lost the value of a nick and damage free, low mileage, 2005 FJR with a trunk and other good stuff, to the value of an average bike with a few blemishes. Did I mention I was wrong in my initial assessment of damage, I did find about a 3” crease in the top of the fuel tank. Youch! The last tank that I had repaired and repainted cost $600.
No doubt it sucks. We have all been there with some bike or car or boat, etc. Sentimental value is moreso what we are talking about though, and the right to brag and be proud to our buddies about how nice shape we have kept our things. Reality is that a 2005 fjr with low miles and no mars isn't much more valuable on the market than one with a few dings. Probably 3 to 4 grand, depending on market, so gotta keep a perspective. Is fun having nice things, but they don't define who we are or how good our lives can be. Good luck.

While we’re shedding tears here on the Forum, the other day my son backed my immaculate 2014 out of the garage to get to his 300lb. lighter V-Star and forgot to put the kickstand down. Dropped it right in the driveway.
Life happens. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Forgot to put the kickstand down? Unless he could pay for repairs, that would secure a BUNCH of housework, yard work, car washes, grocery runs, etc., etc... lol

No doubt it sucks. We have all been there with some bike or car or boat, etc. Sentimental value is moreso what we are talking about though, and the right to brag and be proud to our buddies about how nice shape we have kept our things. Reality is that a 2005 fjr with low miles and no mars isn't much more valuable on the market than one with a few dings. Probably 3 to 4 grand, depending on market, so gotta keep a perspective. Is fun having nice things, but they don't define who we are or how good our lives can be. Good luck.
Well said, and I have to agree. Thanks for your comment. Hilltown Daves story does make me feel better in an odd way. Reminds me of the time when my oldest son "borrowed" my prized 86 Buick Turbo Regal, drove it a block, and was involved in an accident. Life does happen. Sometimes we are reminded of our own goofs, gaffs, and other just dumb things we have done. Also helps us to keep a perspective.

Life happens. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Hopefully the subframe the mirror is attached did to break. That is a very common thing when the mirror is impacted.

Hopefully the subframe the mirror is attached did to break. That is a very common thing when the mirror is impacted.
The mechanics of the mirror are fine, thankfully. Just all scratched up.
…which reminds me - does Yamaha supply the paint code or are we left trying to match it on our own somehow?
The “color matching camera” that my paint supplier uses is incredibly unreliable (from past experience).
Any help for a 2014? 😃

The paint on a 2014 (US model) is three parts: basecoat (grey color), top coat (red color), and clear coat (no color).

If you are good with rattle can painting, you should be able to get close to the factory finish. I've primarily used the
color pencils for small nicks and scratches.

YMMV

I've found the rattle cans with their fan spray pattern to be very good for nice, even coverage. The difficulty comes in the clear coat, applying it heavy but avoiding runs and on small parts the areas look pretty good. For larger areas my local body shop guy does it right. I supply him with a pint of the paint and get a professional job