Skiing with a 2018 FJR1300AS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Pretty disappointing, isn't it.... I just shook my head when I first examined my 2018 "tool kit" under the seat. Even the little black plastic pouch it comes in is considerable smaller than prior years - it is barely wide enough to accommodate both the screwdriver handle and the 'L' bend in the 4mm allen wrench. Pretty sad.
And the little rubber strap that holds the toolkit in place is shortened so you can't put in a few more tools and hold them in with it. There's also no strap under the pillion seat for a U-lock. Not that I shall miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Is the Air Duct Missing? Part# 5JW-14437-00-00 (Duct) and its screws 9778-50125-00 (Screw, Tapping) "

Do you mind posting a pic of this piece.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Found it, how or why would this ever be missing?

Thanks,

Canadian FJR

"Is the Air Duct Missing? Part# 5JW-14437-00-00 (Duct) and its screws 9778-50125-00 (Screw, Tapping) "
Do you mind posting a pic of this piece.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Found it, how or why would this ever be missing?

Thanks,

Canadian FJR
Think this is it.

Can't answer why it might be missing. I merely copied the list from the linked post, I presume at some stage someone has had a machine where it was missing.

I've noticed grit gets in where the front of the saddle is up against the trim piece on the back of the fuel tank (something to do with where I ride, in what weather, and lack of cleaning?). To protect the plastic against being scratched, I put a piece of suitably coloured duct tape, shaped to fit, and essentially invisible.

I show this below, in case anyone else is as anal as I am.

(Click on any image for larger view)

Mark round front of saddle with pieces of masking tape:

Take off saddle, apply duct tape, trim ends with scissors, the bottom with a sharp knife:

Saddle back on, tape almost completely invisible:

I've noticed grit gets in where the front of the saddle is up against the trim piece on the back of the fuel tank (something to do with where I ride, in what weather, and lack of cleaning?). To protect the plastic against being scratched, I put a piece of suitably coloured duct tape, shaped to fit, and essentially invisible.
I show this below, in case anyone else is as anal as I am.

(Click on any image for larger view)

Mark round front of saddle with pieces of masking tape:

Yes this is true. I did the same thing to protect the paint. Only difference was I bought vinyl rolls to do the graphics. I used a flat black for the tank between the seat. I also used a high polished graphite to protect the tank from getting scratched from my magnetic tank bag. If you go to my previous post the blue stripes are 3M reflective tape. At night they shine bright white from oncoming lights. It was all fairly cheap to do but time consuming. I had fun doing it though. Makes it my own in the end. I created the pattern myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5D-Premium-HIGH-GLOSS-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Film-Wrap-Bubble-Free-Air-Release/272555333250?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3Dcd729a6c0b3b48a5ba88e79782cb1798%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D281791346935&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

(Anal)Dave

Well, I was going to ride into town today to get some glue for my Fenda Extenda.

But, the best laid plans of mice, men and mcatrophy ...

(Click on image for larger view)

Bike's staying in garage, at least until driveway reverts to black.

Dude, the topic is "Skiing with a 2018 FJR1300AS". You're missing a superb opportunity to ski that bike. Bonus? Probably won't get grit in the seat seams.

So I wanted to see how good the lights are. On my '14, I've had the scary experience of a pitch dark Scottish country lane where I couldn't see the edge of the road, with ditches, rocks, goodness knows what waiting to grab me when I missed my way. Three miles of sphincter-testing fear.

Today, I went out onto a local country lane after dark, no street lights, no moon visible.

Well, I wasn't disappointed. They lit the way very adequately for 60 mph (the legal limit on these roads), and I'm very sure they would be ok up to at least 80. The cornering lights also do actually help when leaned over, though I only tried them on slow tight bends, so speeds were low when I lit these up.

I do need to raise their aim a little, but the balance between main beam and dipped seems much better than the previous bike's incandescents.

I'd read a comment made by Warchild, I quote:

... the factory LED headlights are SO DAMN GOOD, head and shoulders better than previous halogen versions ...
When I first read this, I didn't know whether or not to believe him, but I am very pleased to say he is right :) .