Skyline Drive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Official Dumbass
Reaction score
I'm flying out on Monday the 21st to pick up the new Feej. My plan is to do just the 100 mile stretch of the Skyline Drive starting from Waynesboro heading north to Fort Royal the next day, then slabbing it home the rest of the way back to Mass.

I figured what the heck, may as well make a ride of it! So, if any interest, I'd plan on meeting up at the Cracker Barrel in Waynesboro, VA for a good breakfast. Time TBD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I have off on the 22nd but its my gf's birthday, plus I live in Jersey....wish i could, I've wanted to ride down there.

Damn, I have off on the 22nd but its my gf's birthday, plus I live in Jersey....wish i could, I've wanted to ride down there.
Aw quit bein' a pussy and tell the boss you ain't comin' in and your girl that she's coming too, and that's final! :lol: :eek:

Seriously, wish you could make it! I've done the BRP twice but have not done the Skyline part yet.

I love you Ride Reports - great to hear you're sticking around.

No then, get to riding and reporting!

I love you Ride Reports - great to hear you're sticking around.
No then, get to riding and reporting!
I didn't realize I was going anywhere?!?! :unsure: Yep, gettin' me new Feej, and much to some peeps dismay, I'm sticking around! :lol:

Will post up a few pics of the return trip with the new bike!

Maybe I can ride a little bit of the way back to MA with you? Let me know when you'll be in the NJ/PA/NY region and I'll see if I can make it....one of these Tuesday's I have off I will be doing my first SS1k or Bun burner. So far I've done multiple 7 and 800 mile days on my KLR650 so I figure a SS1k on the Feejer should be easy.

During the week of May 31-June 5, they were chip sealing the northernmost 10.5 miles of Skyline. Don't know if they've swept it off yet. They usually don't post this at the entrances or put it on their web site, and, if asked, the rangers at the entrances don't usually have up to date info on this. Best way I've found to get up to date info on the road conditions is to call (540) 999-3500, dial "0" for an operator and ask for Sara, the administrative assistant for maintenance, 8AM to 4:30 PM Mon.-Fri.

Make a day of it CJ an head on over to Tremblant QC.. Plenty of fools (and a few level headed peeps) will be there.. Hell, I'd even share some of me beers with ya!

:jester:

Maybe I can ride a little bit of the way back to MA with you? Let me know when you'll be in the NJ/PA/NY region and I'll see if I can make it....one of these Tuesday's I have off I will be doing my first SS1k or Bun burner. So far I've done multiple 7 and 800 mile days on my KLR650 so I figure a SS1k on the Feejer should be easy.
I'll take a look at it and get back....... just as a matter of record, my plan is to continue up I-81 to I-84 in Scranton.

During the week of May 31-June 5, they were chip sealing the northernmost 10.5 miles of Skyline. Don't know if they've swept it off yet. They usually don't post this at the entrances or put it on their web site, and, if asked, the rangers at the entrances don't usually have up to date info on this. Best way I've found to get up to date info on the road conditions is to call (540) 999-3500, dial "0" for an operator and ask for Sara, the administrative assistant for maintenance, 8AM to 4:30 PM Mon.-Fri.
Much obliged, friend! Is the chip sealing a job just starting or finishing, do you know? If in progress, will the road be open?

Much obliged, friend! Is the chip sealing a job just starting or finishing, do you know? If in progress, will the road be open?
Don't know how far along they are with it; I avoided that section when I rode Skyline and the Parkway 5/29-6/2. When they chip seal on Skyline, they lay down several inches of fine gravel on top of the tar, leave it for a week or so, then sweep it off. Skyline is lousy with deer and black bear; if one should bolt in front of a cyclist when they're on that mess, they'd likely go down. They usually will have the road open when chip sealing, though it might be one lane only, with delays. Sara told me they are planning to do a lot of work this summer; they have done a lot of chip sealing the last 3 or 4 years, I don't know if any other sections are going to be done this summer. Your best bet would be to call or PM Sara ([email protected]) right before you're planning to ride Skyline. I've been trying for several years to get them to post this info on their web site and at the park entrances, but haven't had any luck as of yet. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable ride.

Doode,

I would so be there except I'm working 12hrs that day and 8 the next :angry:

thinking about the Green / White ride in Aug. not sure yet though...

where you getting it from? Wayne Cycle??? bought mine there in 04 good group of folks...

Gary

Visit My Website
Here's a link on the intended route.

I caught ya peekin' Toophast! Get your ass on over for this ride. Maybe I'll let you lead this time! :lol:
I would esp. since there may be some off roading in it for us....

I'm wide open 23 + 24 though.... prob could ride most of way w/ ya either of those days

and you'd have a much better ride taking 29N to 151N to 6 (up to Afton Mtn) to 250W to SLD (or 250W to 64W to Crack the Barrel) then back to 64E to 250E to SLD

GJ

Doode,I would so be there except I'm working 12hrs that day and 8 the next :angry:

thinking about the Green / White ride in Aug. not sure yet though...

where you getting it from? Wayne Cycle??? bought mine there in 04 good group of folks...

Gary

I would esp. since there may be some off roading in it for us....

I'm wide open 23 + 24 though.... prob could ride most of way w/ ya either of those days

GJ
Got it from LowCountryJoe here on the forum...... great guy, I gotta tell ya!

A hundred mile ride is hard to justify skipping out when ya could be saving lives, amigo. Perhaps we can catch up on the White/Green ride if you can make it up!

Green/White sounds cool... was gonna do VT rt 100 from bottom to top then over to NY then down to Lake George for Americade last week but the kids killed my finances... Aug is looking good though ... would be good to ride a bike where I learned to drive a car hehehehe

oh, and they live or they die... not matter which :)

Green/White sounds cool... was gonna do VT rt 100 from bottom to top then over to NY then down to Lake George for Americade last week but the kids killed my finances... Aug is looking good though ... would be good to ride a bike where I learned to drive a car hehehehe
oh, and they live or they die... not matter which :)
Well, for anyone else considering making a northward trek, I can guarantee that this ride will be top notch and an absolute blast- and I haven't even made this ride yet!! I just know the folks who are putting it together are some great peeps and have only heard awesome things from others who've made this ride in the past. I'm definitely going to make this ride this year if at all possible....... like you said, damned kids!

I'm wide open 23 + 24 though.... prob could ride most of way w/ ya either of those days and you'd have a much better ride taking 29N to 151N to 6 (up to Afton Mtn) to 250W to SLD (or 250W to 64W to Crack the Barrel) then back to 64E to 250E to SLD

GJ
Alright, Gary- you messing with me or what?! I looked at 29, 151, and 6N on google maps and fail to see the overall "straight-away" appeal! Am I missing something? :blink: