Slippy Sliddy... Properly used FJR Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugar-6

Reaction score
Fun run today but I can see getting some different tires and suspension work if pushing anymore. Here they are after a morning mountain run and running home on a 100 mile commute. Morning weather was GREAT but around lunch it was friggin hot which was leading to the pressures in the tires being a bit higher and starting up some of the slippage, especially out of right handers. I know it wasn't just me feeling it either since a friend took it out on a different road and felt it only on the right too.

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

I had a front tire that had that triangular wear pattern and the handling was crap, but I just had to completely wear it out first.

Once I put new tires on I had to ask myself why I waited so long to replace them. I have never had a bike before that tire wear seemed to affect the handling as much, but then again, I've never had anything as heavy as the FJR.

Still the best bike I've ever had hands down.

Your tires look fine from the pix, front is getting low on tread life.

Maybe your tires are just crap, no grip from the get go. If you feel it's your tires and not suspension, get new tires.

Tires should not really lose grip over its life (well... within reason), except thru extreme heat cycles. Just using them doesn't make them lose grip, but heat cycles, where the tires are heated really hot like on a track etc, will wear them out rapidly. Once they have been heated up, a lot, the tires may change colors, etc, they get glazed and will not grip very well and will only get worse.

Not sure if you heated them to that extreme, just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun run today but I can see getting some different tires and suspension work if pushing anymore...Morning weather was GREAT but around lunch it was friggin hot which was leading to the pressures in the tires being a bit higher and starting up some of the slippage, especially out of right handers. I know it wasn't just me feeling it either since a friend took it out on a different road and felt it only on the right too.
From the pics, your tires look OK to me...

I've had my FJR's front end slide on really tight right-hand switchbacks (like 1st. gear up-hill tight right handers). I've learned to be cautious (and aware) in those condition -- and, prepared for the front tire to not hold. So far, I've caught the front-end slide every time (by a little straightening-up) -- but, now I know it may be coming.

At what speeds are you experiencing the loss of traction? What kind of turns? Do you think front or rear?