Smaller, lighter Bike, maybe not.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Age, hip etc. and grandma not riding caused the wing to go away for a 1000 V-strom, and still have the FJR. Did the local 3 pass route yesterday (stevens, blewitt and snoqualimie here in Wa.) and coming back for 90 miles over I-90 I was immersed in 75-80mph groups of traffic and boy I would not want to do that on a smaller bike. FJR gives me all I need for power and the ability to negotiate the mob. Big V is no slouch either at speeds, the FJR is more comfortable, might have reached the limits of future downsizing.

Hey James,

I have been trying to down size for two years now, after dropping the FJR in my garage and not being able to pick it back up.

First I went to a FJ 09. It's a great bike in the twisties, but was kind-of unstable at freeway speeds. And totally unstable at freeway speeds with any kind of cross wind.

I almost sold my 07 FJR but couldn't pull the trigger. (Thankfully)

I was at a rally and rode a friends MT 09 GT. Mama Yama has seemed to have worked out the high speed stability problems and not lost the quick cornering agility

that I really love. I think that this might be my last bike, but I am going to hang on to the 07 for one more year just in case.

Hey James,
I have been trying to down size for two years now, after dropping the FJR in my garage and not being able to pick it back up.

First I went to a FJ 09. It's a great bike in the twisties, but was kind-of unstable at freeway speeds. And totally unstable at freeway speeds with any kind of cross wind.

I almost sold my 07 FJR but couldn't pull the trigger. (Thankfully)

I was at a rally and rode a friends MT 09 GT. Mama Yama has seemed to have worked out the high speed stability problems and not lost the quick cornering agility

that I really love. I think that this might be my last bike, but I am going to hang on to the 07 for one more year just in case.
Think they lengthened the GT swingarm, liked it but my feet (me) did not fit pedals. Appreciate any feedback on the GT. Sort of looking sideways at the BMW (shudder) F800GT,however, do not know anyone that rides one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sold the FJR yesterday after almost 15 fun years of tinkering and riding. Just was time I guess.
upset.gif