Snow in the Sierra Passes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbjbany

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
HO_ROUTE89_CLOSE_20171117_16x9_992.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/almost-3-feet-snow-falls-calif-mountains-storm-110306840--abc-news-topstories.html

Additional snowfall is forecast for the west through the next 24 hours, with up to 2 feet of snow possible in Colorado, and additional 6 to 12 inches is still possible for the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Well... look at it this way. If they get a ton of snow again this winter, then maybe (just MAYBE) you've got a chance to experience Yosemite next year better than we experienced it this year.

thumbsup.gif

Wait.... strike that. NOTHING will EVER be better than that. Maybe just as good, but not better......

Last edited by a moderator:
Snow season is starting out well...let's hope it continues all winter!

North Cascades is already closed up in the these parts. Gonna be a loooong time 'til May.
cold.gif

--G

Ummm. do you not have snow removal equipment?
Yeh, they have some. Ever spend any time in the western mountains?

a little peek at what those snowplows were up against this last spring on the Tioga Pass--the back door into Yosemite. Going to the Sun Road in Glacier N.P. has the same kinds of issues every year, often well into summer. Ditto the Great Beartooth Highway in WY and MT, and quite a few others.
Thanks for the look up the hill Jeff. Maybe I'll see you up that way come June. Or July.

Ummm. do you not have snow removal equipment?
Yeh, they have some. Ever spend any time in the western mountains?

Thanks for the link to the video of Tioga Pass snow clearing. I've taken rt 120 (Tioga Pass) many times when heading east. I had no idea the Pass got that much snow. Many do not realize the elevation is 9900 ft at the east gate.