So.....anyone own a ural?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artistic rider

Reaction score
I was thinking of ways to get my children involved in motorcycling with me and was considering getting my fjr company. Does anyone have any experience with a Ural? Since my SO won't go near the fjr I figured a Ural would be great to take the 2 little ones for a ride with dad. Or would I be better getting another motorcycle with a side car? Just asking for opinions. Thanks all

I don't know anything about them firsthand, but I think one with a sidecar would just be cool for the kids and grandkids.

I don't, but one of the physician assistants has one that he rides all year, snow and all. It can be 20 degrees and snowing and here he comes. Bright yellow aerostich one piece, calberg flip up and dodging cars. Looks like a late 70's bmw. same opposed twin. He has had little trouble with it.

No commie copy of a WWII BMW for me!!! J/K :jester: If you get one, make sure to get the machine gun mount for the side car. I've read their reliability has improved. Parts availability may be a different issue.

Has some fun equipment options for the kids too ...

Ural-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
urinal.jpg

I've been thinking about getting one.

Sure would make life easier...not having to worry about putting the seat back down. :unsure:

Back in the mid 90s when I lived in Russia, they had new Urals in crates in several department stores. The price was about four hundred bucks. I bet you can pick up a new one in Russia for less than $2K these days or cheaper if you went used. Customs might be a b!tch, though.

urinal.jpg

Sure would make life easier...not having to worry about putting the seat back down. :unsure:
He said U-R-A-L, not Urinal, you dyslexic ninny! Sheesh, where you from? Georgia?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont own one but i think theyre pretty neat. Maybe someday...

I saw them at the motorcycle show and had this pic taken with the wife in the sidecar...it looks like itd be fun fun, esp the 2-wheel drive option for snow or offroad...

IMG_2448.JPG

urinal.jpg

He said U-R-A-L, not Urinal, you dyslexic ninny! Sheesh, where you from? Georgia?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Be careful, the first ones imported in the US a few years ago had the URINAL reputation because they broke a lot and parts were scarce. Don't know if the parts situation has improved. I don't own one either.

Won't my fjr be surprised when it gets home. It vibrates at speed. Top speed is about 40% of the fjr (and thats being generous). Can barely find neutral and don't forget what gear I'm in because it won't tell you. 2 carbs and drum rear brakes. It has a true reverse thats really handy! Best thing is the kids love it!!! Wish I could have made it to the bike blessing but I didn't get home with it until 1:30pm. Guess there won't be any reason not to make the Toys for Tots ride for me. Can't wait to get back to Freeport to a certain little patch of grass. :p
th_DSC_0098-1.jpg
th_DSC_0101.jpg
th_DSC_0102.jpg
th_DSC_0100.jpg

Parts availability may be a different issue.
Friend of mine ran a MC repair shop till he retired last year, had a terrible time getting parts to repair the few he saw here, often the parts sent (after a 3 month wait) were wrong, new/old version (often updated w/out telling anyone), and then returns took another 3 months. Liked the look & idea, but hated working on them & thought they were very unreliable. Might have been the version owned by the 2 guys that had them here, but don't know for sure. One guy in town has been trying to ride it to Sturgis for the last 8 years but never made it more than 200 miles w/out a break down.

Parts availability may be a different issue.
Friend of mine ran a MC repair shop till he retired last year, had a terrible time getting parts to repair the few he saw here, often the parts sent (after a 3 month wait) were wrong, new/old version (often updated w/out telling anyone), and then returns took another 3 months. Liked the look & idea, but hated working on them & thought they were very unreliable. Might have been the version owned by the 2 guys that had them here, but don't know for sure. One guy in town has been trying to ride it to Sturgis for the last 8 years but never made it more than 200 miles w/out a break down.
Yeah, thats one of the things I looked at when I purchased it. Until I find out how this thing behaves I will always have a backup plan. I've been reading where thier reliability has greatly increased so I decided to take a chance. 2 year warranty/ unlimited miles. And if a repair takes longer than 3 weeks or so the warranty gets extended. Hell, its so primitive that you can repair it with a little common sense and a stick and a rock! And besides, I always will have the fjr for me waiting. ;) So far about 70 miles and no problems (knock on wood).

I think the side car idea is great and am toying with the thought myself. But I would go with and older Goldwing with a side car. You get reliability and parts availability that way.

I think the side car idea is great and am toying with the thought myself. But I would go with and older Goldwing with a side car. You get reliability and parts availability that way.
I agree with you on that. But the 2 wheel drive thing got me. Maybe its the ex-marine in me trying to get back out. I didn't want to go with the goldwing or harley with a side car. They just didn't appeal to me though you are right about reliability and parts. But that is what I expected when getting a vehicle such as this one. Think of it like a ferrari, only not as fast. Or comfortable. Or pretty. Or ....nevermind. ;)

https://www.hackd.com/ artistic rider: Congratulations on your new sidecar and glad to see/hear that you and your child are enjoying it. My son Seth was born in October of 1996 and before he arrived, not knowing if I was getting a boy or a girl, I had ordered a Velorex 562 hack and had installed it on his mother Jean's Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200. Seth was riding in the rig at two weeks of age and he still loves riding in the sidecar; it is now attached to my H-D Dyna Super Glide TC 88.

I strongly recommend that you consider a subscription to Hack'd magazine, they have been publishing for twenty five years.

If you have any sidecar questions please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or just call me at 480-917-3863.

Really enjoy the sidecar rig when we go on motorcycle camping excursions. On May 15 we're putting our tent and camping gear on the rig and riding the mountain roads of Mogollon Rim in Arizona, making our camp out in the pine tree boonies.