Soft Keys?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They seem like more trouble than they are worth. Good locks deter casual thieves and the pros will get your bike if they want it, fancy key or not.
Agreed. Unfortunately, this key system is not an option. I certainly wouldn't have chosen/paid for it if it were.
That wouldn't have been a deal breaker, but it was at least in the negative column when I was comparing the Concours to the FJR.

Well, you can at least use one of your tougher, cheaper, locksmith keys in your luggage and other locks. Maybe that'll help your new magical key last better ;)

Best of luck to you.
thumbsup_zps3bf1eb32.gif

I could not see the bend in the key. Are you sure that was not a key from your old '07, and that's why it did not work any longer?

How could such a non-existent bend cause the key to fail to turn the ignition or open the gas tank?

Pot metal keys? How much could possibly be saved by cheapening out on the keys?

I can understand the issue of bending a key in the saddle bag lock by knocking it or twisting it, and causing a real bend, but this is another level of amazement.

LOL are you serious dude? Do you think I'm an idiot?? They are the only two keys I have. YES they are both to the new bike sheesh. SMH

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put the bent key in my vice and squished it - works again lol I got the new blanks cut today - they insert and work even smoother than the OEMs. The OEMs are now retired for the next owner!

I ordered blanks and had them cut locally. Better quality keys, but didn't work consistently. Had some cut to code from the link above. We will see how those perform.

As pointed out on the other forum, the free shipping kicks in at 100 units. $7 otherwise. Unless you live in a place that is more remote than rural MT you should be able to get keys cut for about $3.00 each. My locksmith has these same brand blanks, as does the local Ace Hardware.

You guys realize it's probably not the keys, but the way we use them? Compare any MC ignition to a car's ignition. Notice any difference? Like the way the key is supported and reinforced by the car's switch mechanism and the bike's is open? How many cars have locks where the key is only half inserted? The way the saddle bag and seat locks are set up on this bike requires the owner to use care when inserting and turning the key.

Don't believe me? Put your car key in the saddle bag lock and give it a twist. You'll be the next guy putting your key on a vice to straighten it. Therefore, operator error 90% of the time, caused by a screwy design.

The other 10% is caused by sticky mechanisms. In Idaho, when I got go EOM, my left side bag lock was suddenly stiff, and I slightly bent the key. Knowing there was a problem, I lubed the lock and fixed the stiffness. After that, I didn't bend my key anymore. OMG...how did that happen??

Buy and use spares, simply to maintain the originals, but don't blame the rotation of the earth if you're ham-fisted.

Sheesh!

Decent point HRZ, but you would think the manufacturers would have anticipated that. After all, they must have bent a few keys during testing.

Despite that, this thread is now a bit long for the simple fix ... Ilco blanks, any locksmith, less that $10 for two, cut and working.

I agree with Zilla that the problem is exacerbated by the way the key is used. The metal it is made from may not be the problem as much as the extra length. The key sticks way up when in the ignition and especially in the bags. I have bent mine several times while opening the bags. One positive thing is that I have straightened the same key several times by squeezing it in my bench vise and it never broke.

LOL the 'user error' claim guys clearly didn't pay attention or watch the vid
smile.png
The new ones are simply harder...plain and simple. They don't bend nearly as easily. It aint rocket science.