software for computer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend rider

Reaction score
I am interested in getting some software for my computer to work with pictures.

What is a good choice and appox. cost do not want to break the bank, any help would be helpful.

weekend rider :)

Kodak cameras come with a photo mamagement package, I would think probably all the cameras of the majors (Sony, Nikon, Canon, etc) probably do also.

HP has a new line of inkjet printers that do a pretty good job with color photos, uses 5 inks plus black (Vivera inks is what they call them). New HP inkjets don't have the sprayer in the cartridge, so the refills are 10 bucks a tank, full kit for 35-39, much cheaper to operate than older models. HP inkjets also come with some pretty good printing control software, works pretty well for me with 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10's.

If you haven't worked with the camera software yet, I'd suggest you try that first to see if it fits, also to give you a comparison base. If (or when) you want more sophisticated software, most of the software is available for a trial use by downloading from their website. I work with Linux mostly, so what I would recommend probably wouldn't be available for the Winblows world.

Good luck !

I don't use the Photoshop Elements. I use the full version which is bucks.

But, I would stick with the industry standard, I am sure Photoshop Elements at $80-90, will do 99.9% of what you want to do and will probably be easier to use than the full version of Photoshop.

Photoshop Elements 89.99

There are two version of this program available on Newegg. One 84.99 and the other above. Didn't look to see the difference.

Looks like the 84.99 version should work.

Photoshop Elements from Newegg.com 84.99

Last edited by a moderator:
Before spending any money there is allot of software that can be downloaded for free..Google Picasa2 is great , just googls picasa and check it out...Adobe also has some nice free software

Ive got Photoshop Elements and also the full-blown version, Photoshop CS 3. The Elements program will probably do all you ever imagined you wanted to do. A true working pro, or the very ardent amateur, may realize the bennefit to the full program but for most of us it is overkill. You can work with the full program for 2 years and still not know everything. Get Elements...you'll be happy.

There is also GIMP, which is available free for both Linux and Windows platforms. GIMP is very full-featured, and I think they've even released a Photo-shop-clone menu system for it, so everything's in the same place a PS user expects it to be.