Some riders are hard-core

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
Our small group fueled in Sheridan, WY, Saturday. An elder gentleman was there on one of those BMW "flying brick" 750 triples. He said it was 32 years-old; had 930,000 miles on it. I asked if he'd ever had the engine open. He said, yes, "at a half-million." Turns out he was from New Jersey and was 82. My brother asked him if he had ridden coast-to-coast. The fellow said, "Three times a year." I seriously doubt he had any bullshit in him. He was dressed in blue jeans and wore a jean-jacket, no doubt his usual riding livery. He said he had a newer bike at home (didn't get, or don't remember, the make/model) and that it only had 87,000 miles. Said he figured he had a good 10 years of riding left. He looked plenty vigorous physically. Yes, he demonstrates most of us are indeed Candy Asses.

Here was a book waiting to be written. Can you imagine his experiences, the stories he could tell? I surely wish we had met the guy at the end of the day where we could sit and talk for a spell. I'd feel like a little kid. I'd love to hear what he had to say. Should have gotten his contact info. Another downside of group riding: never feeling able to interrupt progress to stop and smell the roses...or listen to a grizzled veteran who really rides!

When BMW introduced that 750 triple in the sport touring version I was in love. The burgundy color was The Perfect Bike. When Tom Hanks and Dan Akroyd starred in the remake of DragNet, Tom Hanks rode that exact bike. I sat through that entire movie just to see that motorcycle.

I cannot imagine riding that many miles, not with all the other obligations and responsibilities I have. I find it amusing that you were impressed by the high miles, I barely get 10 to 12K miles a year and my co-workers think I ride a lot.

Would like to have seen a pic of that gentleman and his bike.

From a 2008 NAFO trip..

Then, this old guy on a Honda Pacific Coast drops by! His name was Roy, 78 years young, on a +500 mile just because 'it was a nice day today!' This guy has RACED Daytona beach, back when the race was on the beach, served our country, seen good friends die in service, owned several motorcycle shops and even today is the hard core real thing. And great guy too!

Last edited by a moderator: