Some specifics about Russell Day Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the leather vs. vinyl debate. I've spent almost 16 years working part time at a HD dealership and can say as regards leather seats, you have to apply some type of conditioner on a regular basis if you want the leather to stay nice. It usually looks great for about 2 or 3 years but if you don't maintain it, they start to crack and really show their wear. I happen to have a Laam seat on my personal bike and chose vinyl for this reason.

I ride about 95% of the time two up. We have the RDL, leather with the half-moon design. we have done many 12-14 day trips averaging over 500 miles per day. No complaints. We did a SS1100 a couple of years ago, and the only thing that was not tired or sore was the backsides. She loves the seat. The stock one was a PIA literally.

I guess I am leaning back towards the RDL after great comfiness on my Gen1.

I was leaning towards Laam...but the price still seems very reasonable for having all day comfort for the life of the bike. I have 90k miles on my gen1 seat and it's going to be around for a good while longer. My son will receive a nice RDL seat to go along with the GEN1 FJR when he gets done with college.

I guess I am leaning back towards the RDL after great comfiness on my Gen1.
I was leaning towards Laam...but the price still seems very reasonable for having all day comfort for the life of the bike. I have 90k miles on my gen1 seat and it's going to be around for a good while longer. My son will receive a nice RDL seat to go along with the GEN1 FJR when he gets done with college.
If you get just the front seat done by Russell, the price compares reasonably with Laam. It does get expensive for both seats though.

Nice bait there, Mark. That ought to be a nice bonus incentive for the boy to achieve a successful matriculation!
wink.png

To the OP and any others who are on the fence about a Russell. Just do it! You will never regret it. Like some otehrs, I ride 2-up a lot. We did a 6500 mile vacation ride this past August and I can tell you with 100% certainty that would not have happened without the his n' hers Russells.

I actually have owned both leather Russell seats (on my '05 and now on my '14) and a vinyl one on my VStrom, all of them in the half moon stitching pattern. The leather is definitely more comfortable. It conforms to the shape of your butt and retains it, where the vinyl returns to its own shape after every use. The vinyl also makes your butt sweat more than the leather.

The amount of care I gave my now 7 year old and 85k mile used leather seats on the '05 was very minimal, and it still looks great. I would occasionally try to sweep or vacuum any sand or dirt out of the stitching, and maybe twice a year I'd spritz it with some Lexol leather conditioner and rub it in with my hand, then wipe off the excess. Total time is a couple of minutes.

I do not leave the bike parked out in the weather very often, but when traveling I don't always bother covering the bike at night. And of course it gets ridden in the rain. Never had a soggy seat cushion even though it sometimes had water pooling in the bucket of the seat. I credit that to the minimal stitching ion the half moon pattern and keeping the leather fairly supple with the Lexol.

The dual full leather seats that I just got for my new 2014 (just arrived last Friday) set me back a total of $745 plus shipping. I thought that it was going to be more, but that was all they charged me. Maybe because I'm a repeat customer? You should be able to do at least that good if you get in on a group buys this winter. Most years there will be one somewhere, you just need to keep your ears and eyes open.

I didn't wait for a group buy because I knew I wanted it ASAP and paying an extra hundred or more for the seat that I know I am going to love is insignificant, especially when you just dropped 16 large on the bike itself.
wink.png

Here's a photo of my new ones:

100_4774.jpg

Some folks might say they look weird. I think they look comfortable, and I know I am right.
wink.png

The supposed inability to move laterally on these seats is overblown, IMO. You can still shift your but to the inside if you really want to, but you can get nearly the same effect by leaning your upper body to the inside of the curve. A lot of the butt sliders I see will lean their upper bodies back toward center after they have slid their lower body to the inside.

Your upper body (torso head and shoulders) is most important as it is higher up and so affects the total center of gravity more than your lower body (butt cheeks and legs) do. Try it sometime. Just leave your ass planted and shift your head and shoulders to behind your inside mirror. You may be surprised how much that reduces the required lean angle for any corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not for everybody.
no.gif
I'm not a big person and the stock seat is fine with me. And look, I just saved $750.
punk.gif

My wife is not a big person. In fact she is one of the smallest people I know, at just 4'12" and 100 lbs dripping wet. But... without a Russell Daylong we do not ride together. I can put up with a little discomfort on any bike because I get the return of being the rider. The passenger is a more pure assessment since they have so little skin in the game.

I also agree 100%, nothing is for everyone. Not even free money, (so I hear) though I've never been so lucky as to stumble onto some. If anyone has a lead, please PM me the details.

People have their own opinions and that is what makes the whole crazy world go around so splendidly. I commit to respect your right to have a sore butt and save $750 and you to respect my right to spend too much money on a seat and not think about it any further. ;)

But... I submit that it's not about whether you can slide your butt to the side or not. Though slower riders may prefer Russells, a Russell does not make you a slower rider. That's just talk from cheap frugal people who have never tried one.

tonguesmiley.gif

same here, without the RDL, we don't ride together either.

isn't 4'12" the same as 5'-0" ??
smile.png

We all know her happiness directly affects your happiness (and miles traveled per day)

Damn....

I thought I had decided on a Russell, and was down to discussing the leather/vinyl/heat thing. Then I start looking at online reviews of the Laam. LOTS of good things to say, (relatively) inexpensive, like the heating controls, LOVE the looks.....but no (obviously) super-long durability/comfort tests around. Now I wade back in here and see some awfully convincing opinions about the tried-and-true RDL.

First-world problems....

If all of your problems are this serious...
I want to be you! :tonguesmiley:
Be careful - you don't know my story. The other day, when I got home from work, the crushed ice dispenser in my refrigerator door crapped out. I HAD CUBED ICE IN MY SELTZER WATER. Now, who wants to be me?

My wife is not a big person. In fact she is one of the smallest people I know, at just 4'12" and 100 lbs dripping wet.
People have their own opinions and that is what makes the whole crazy world go around so splendidly. I commit to respect your right to have a sore butt and save $750 and you to respect my right to spend too much money on a seat and not think about it any further.
wink.png

But... I submit that it's not about whether you can slide your butt to the side or not. Though slower riders may prefer Russells, a Russell does not make you a slower rider. That's just talk from cheap frugal people who have never tried one.

tonguesmiley.gif
That New England measuring tape must be different from the ones we use Down South. 4'12" sounds a whole lot like 5' to me.

Fred, I am shocked and proud at the same time. You don't sound like a Frugal Yankee here lately. I 100% agree with spending the money to buy happiness. If you know it works and you know it is worth it, spend the money.

I may have to buy a Russell Day Long. Since I keep reading about "Those wings keep me from hanging off", if I get one then I will have a good excuse for being so slow. I cannot just be slow due to lack of skill, it has to be someone/something else's fault.

Redfish Hunter-

When I was shopping for a RDL, they made a "Sport" model. Have they stopped making them?

I always hang on to my stock seat and only use my RDL for rides of over 300 miles (Which are the majority of my rides)

PM headed your way...

They're not for everybody.
no.gif
I'm not a big person and the stock seat is fine with me. And look, I just saved $750.
punk.gif
I weigh 168 lbs and my wife comes in at about 120 so neither of us is big. However, we both love our RDLs. Truth be told, it took a while for me to order them. We both thought the stock seats were “fine” and wondered what everyone was whining about. However, primarily from reading this forum I came to believe that we could improve our comfort at least a little bit, if not a lot, so we went for them. Half-moon stitching in vinyl.

Quite honestly I couldn’t imagine going back to those “fine” seats for anything but a short weekend ride. After 9,000 km on the RDLs we still find ourselves saying to each other “I love this seat” almost every time out.

FWIW, the difference in comfort is something that can only really be appreciated over time (like 6-8 hours of riding in a day). With the stock seat I would rarely suffer any PITA per se, but would find myself with a sore lower back, sore knees, etc. and just getting squirmy in the seat after 1 or 1.5 hours in the saddle. I still like the occasional stretch break, but now it’s after 2 hours or more, not 1 hour, and I really can ride all day with short 5-minute breaks.

Also FWIW, the Russell vinyl is very thick and seemingly sturdy. No regrets.

100_4774.jpg

Some folks might say they look weird.
Yep - the bike should be painted John Deere Green! Like my grand-pap's tractor
smile.png

Before I totally sell out and go RDL - the Laam's look a bit better - are they as good for long distance?

I have Corbin now - good for 600 miles/day but living in Texas you need a 1000 mile first day to get to the good roads.

What I noticed on the pics of passenger seats is they look 3" higher then the riders seat. My passenger would appreciate that if it's true. Our current Corbin is about level.

My butt only cares about how a saddle looks when it's hurting. It looks like a bad place to sit.

With my RDL, my butt never has to care about what the seat looks like.

The look of the most stylish saddle is impressive to no one except perhaps when it's parked.

If it's parked enough for that to matter to someone, I submit that the debate of form vs. function when it comes to motorcycle saddles is then moot.

All the best,

Shane

Lisa, at Russell, said there will NOT be a Group Buy this winter.

That doesn't necessarily mean they will not offer winter discounts, but no organised effort.

I was told by Daylong that there will be no more group buys. They will post on their website if they have a sale.

She said that way everyone is eligible for a discount and not just the people on the group buy list.

She did not indicate what the discount percentage might be in a sale.