Spearfish Routing? Any Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knowing your recent luck with radiators on motorcycles, I would suggest the Greyhound! See you in Spearfish! Rich
Damn it all to Hell Dr. Rich, I was busy preparing a Zinger for Donnie Boy and you had to beat me to the punch! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Rats!

IMG_7011-960x639.jpg

DC, depending on timing you could hook up with the PNW bunch. We're going to be in the Cody area on Tuesday and Wednesday.

--G

One small tweek Don. Stay on hwy 120 from Lee Vining to Benton Hot Springs.

If you aren't laughing in you helmet on the whoops your going to slow.

Top off in Tonopah, the wind is always howling on the way to Rachel and triple digits is the norm on that stretch of nothingness

Top off in Tonopah, the wind is always howling on the way to Rachel and triple digits is the norm on that stretch of nothingness
No gas between Tonopah and Caliente. 200 miles.
No problem for the FJR however you can get Gas a few miles toward Alamo. About 175 miles, Tyler's spyder was on reserve when we rode that route in reverse after SWFOG a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, Torrey to Loa UT, then North on UT 72, a simply fabulous untraveled road signed at 40 and traveled at whatever you dare,

watch for range cattle and dry slick cow shit at the apexes. Coming home from SWFOG I made some serious time on 191.

Continue North onto 191 and stay on 191 through Flaming Gorge and North of I-80 until you get to where you want to turn into Yellowstone. I can't believe you are going to do Yellowstone look out for Chinese Tourists and the requisite Chipmunk Jam, Elk Jam, Bufflao Jam, Robin Jam, Chickadee Jam etc..... they will stop in the middle of the road for absolutely anything.

Once you are finished with the Chief Joseph and are in Cody then you have two good choices. Both US 14 and US 16 over the Bighorn Mountain range are great roads. One goes to Sheridian WY and the Other through Ten Sleep and Buffalo WY, from Buffalo you're <three hours from Spearfish.

One little diversion... out of Cedar City, take 148 and then 143 to Cedar Breaks which is lovely and will be a bit cooler up that way too... we did that at SWFOG. B)

No gas between Tonopah and Caliente. 200 miles.
No problem for the FJR however you can get Gas a few miles toward Alamo. About 175 miles, Tyler's spyder was on reserve when we rode that route in reverse after SWFOG a few weeks ago.
I wasn't quite on reserve... it was more like fumes given the head wind and somewhat above normal speeds... :D

I hope you have done Bearstooth pass before if you are driving right by it. If not, take it even if you have to back track it to get back on Chief Joseph highway. The highlight of my motorcycle life is doing Bearstooth pass on all three of my bikes in one day.

I hope you have done Bearstooth pass before if you are driving right by it.
That and Chief Joseph Hwy...
smile.png
He has Chief Joseph Highway "296" on his route but I didn't want him to miss spending two or three hours riding Bearstooth pass out and back when he is riding right by it. You could never forgive yourself.

Well this post caught my eye and I figured I better decide what I am going to do as well. I have a reservation at a campground in Island Park Idaho for a tent site, I am leaving after work on the 24th and this will be a short slab run for the first part of the trip. Then I was going to cut across Yellowstone and hit the Chief Joseph Hwy on the 25th. I have been on this road once before, and then was going to cut across and swing up by the Devil's Tower. I have never been on the Beartooth pass.

After reading this, and hearing Festar talking about the Beartooth pass, and now Abercrombie recommending it, I think I am going to cut up to Red Lodge and then back again before continuing on. So here is the route I think I am going to ride: https://goo.gl/maps/3Hl2e

What is the time line of events you are shooting for? If wanted or needed- you could stay at my pad in Farmington Utah- if the routing/timing/cost would work better for you. And no need too wait for me if you decide to bed down at my obode- ride your ride, just thought I would offer.

Carver, ERIXUN is just trying to run up his arrest totals for the month of June!

You show up at his house, he'll bust you for something, you'll spend a free weekend in the Farmington Hoosegow.

He'll be at the Black Hills FJR Roundup wearing one of your tee shirts

JSNS

Seriously, Brandon is a great guy and you could do much worse!

When will you be coming through Cedar City?

I'll probably be here. I would volunteer to ride along with you for a while but the FJR is still waiting on forks right now and if I tried it on the KLR I'd just slow you down.

Maybe lunch or something?

By the way, before I cancelled my trip, I was planning on taking 87 north of Duchesne and 35 west to Francis before connecting to 150 at Kamas to Evanston.

I've ridden 150 Evanston to Kamas one time. Really nice road but unfortunately it was raining that day.

I have not ridden state route 35 from 87 to Francis, but I received a book as a gift a couple of years ago titled "Motorcycle Touring in the Southwest." the author claimed 35 was the best motorcycle road in the state of Utah.

If that statement is anywhere near true, I need to ride it someday.

Sorry, didn't see this in time, Stealth1. Would have been nice to meet and ride with you. Cedar City to Cedar Break is monumental!

Sorry, didn't see this in time, Stealth1. Would have been nice to meet and ride with you. Cedar City to Cedar Break is monumental!
That's Okay. Maybe next time. I thought maybe Petey had warned you about riding with me.
uhoh.gif

Hope the construction on 14 wasn't too big of a pita.