Specific brake fluid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gospel Rider

Reaction score
I am amazed at the selection of brake fluid available, and the studies and comparative results for brake fluid. It has gotten overwhelming!
My bike needs a change and I’m determined to do it soon. I know there are probably a lot of different answers, but is there a better choice for the money than the Yamaha brake fluid for maintaining our FJRs for normal use?
Thank you for your feedback.
GR

Any DOT4 brake fluid will do. I usually get Prestone, but it really doesn't matter. I see they are offering a product called Prestone MAX - but doubt it makes any real difference. They claim longer change interval, but I change mine (brakes and clutch) every two years anyway. Or as little as one year if i am changing pads or doing other work on brakes or clutch. Takes me less than an hour to do all five bleeders (3 front brake, 1 rear brake and clutch).

Edit: DOT 3 is compatible, but has a lower boiling point. DOT5 is silicone-based and is NOT compatible with the stock DOT4 (or the materials in the hydraulic systems). DOT5.1, however, is compatible with DOT4 and has a still higher boiling point. Not sure how viscosity compares. You could probably use it but there is no real reason to switch from DOT4. Don't buy into "synthetic" hype. All brake fluid is synthetic.

Last edited:
Any DOT4 brake fluid will do. I usually get Prestone, but it really doesn't matter. I see they are offering a product called Prestone MAX - but doubt it makes any real difference. They claim longer change interval, but I change mine (brakes and clutch) every two years anyway. Or as little as one year if i am changing pads or doing other work on brakes or clutch. Takes me less than an hour to do all five bleeders (3 front brake, 1 rear brake and clutch).

Edit: DOT 3 is compatible, but has a lower boiling point. DOT5 is silicone-based and is NOT compatible with the stock DOT4 (or the materials in the hydraulic systems). DOT5.1, however, is compatible with DOT4 and has a still higher boiling point. Not sure how viscosity compares. You could probably use it but there is no real reason to switch from DOT4. Don't buy into "synthetic" hype. All brake fluid is synthetic.
Thank you!
That simplifies the choice.

If your bike has ABS, you should change out the fluid, activate the ABS system, and change out the fluid again. This helps to prevent corrosion of the ABS pump and keeps it working for a long time.

AND it's about more than just boiling point. Different brake fluids also attract water more than others, despite the higher boiling point. (Remember from science class what happens to water when it's over 212F, it turns to gas as in air bubbles, yet back to water when cooled off. That means your lever is soft when riding yet when you go to bleed them as they have cooled off, you never get any air bubbles!!). I use Prestone DOT-4 in the FJR. I use the higher boiling point Motul Racing 660C in my R-1 track bike yet have to change it 2-3 times per summer...and the reservoir diaphram always has lots of water on it.

AND it's about more than just boiling point. Different brake fluids also attract water more than others, despite the higher boiling point. (Remember from science class what happens to water when it's over 212F, it turns to gas as in air bubbles, yet back to water when cooled off. That means your lever is soft when riding yet when you go to bleed them as they have cooled off, you never get any air bubbles!!). I use Prestone DOT-4 in the FJR. I use the higher boiling point Motul Racing 660C in my R-1 track bike yet have to change it 2-3 times per summer...and the reservoir diaphram always has lots of water on it.
Thank you for the info and input.
GR

I tend to not overthink or over-analyze, it just muddies the waters with useless crap. My suggestion is to look in your owners manual for the proper DOT spec number. It will be in the "Checking Brake and Clutch Fluid Levels" section of Periodic Maintenance and Adjustment. Then go buy some that matches. IMHO there is nothing wrong with using the Yamaha branded fluid although I do not. I just pick up a bottle of a reputable brand at my local auto parts store.

If you do not have an owners manual one can be downloaded for free here -> https://www.yamahapubs.com/. I recommend this anyway just to put it on phone/tablet/laptop, whatever you travel with. Then read it, it's amazing how much pertinent info is in there.

I tend to not overthink or over-analyze, it just muddies the waters with useless crap. My suggestion is to look in your owners manual for the proper DOT spec number. It will be in the "Checking Brake and Clutch Fluid Levels" section of Periodic Maintenance and Adjustment. Then go buy some that matches. IMHO there is nothing wrong with using the Yamaha branded fluid although I do not. I just pick up a bottle of a reputable brand at my local auto parts store.

If you do not have an owners manual one can be downloaded for free here -> https://www.yamahapubs.com/. I recommend this anyway just to put it on phone/tablet/laptop, whatever you travel with. Then read it, it's amazing how much pertinent info is in there.
Sound advise! Thank you.

Unless an aftermarket reservoir cap is in place, all OEM reservoir caps will have the required DOT rated fluid or other fluid listed on them. At least Yamaha hasn't gone the BMW path with mineral oil in the clutch system.