Split: Cheap aluminum radiators on ebay?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRdaytripper

Reaction score
To Warchild,

Any thoughts or experience with the cheap aluminum radiators I've seen on Ebay, etc.? An outfit in Rowland CA is advertising radiators for the Gen 1 FJR at under $100. My 2003 FJR radiator developed a leak in one or more lower cr0ss-tubes, probably from road-salt.

To Warchild,Any thoughts or experience with the cheap aluminum radiators I've seen on Ebay, etc.? An outfit in Rowland CA is advertising radiators for the Gen 1 FJR at under $100. My 2003 FJR radiator developed a leak in one or more lower cr0ss-tubes, probably from road-salt.
Warchild's post is from 2011 and he doesn't post much anymore, so you might weight awhile to hear from him.

However, I would imagine just about anything that will spread the load out using whatever flimsy metal screen is used should work okay for small hits. For big hits, you might still be leaking fluid. However, in my 10 years of owning FJRs, I have rarely heard of a radiator issue. So, when it happens to you...it is bad. But it doesn't seem to happen very often.

To Warchild,Any thoughts or experience with the cheap aluminum radiators I've seen on Ebay, etc.? An outfit in Rowland CA is advertising radiators for the Gen 1 FJR at under $100. My 2003 FJR radiator developed a leak in one or more lower cr0ss-tubes, probably from road-salt.
Warchild's post is from 2011 and he doesn't post much anymore, so you might weight awhile to hear from him.

However, I would imagine just about anything that will spread the load out using whatever flimsy metal screen is used should work okay for small hits. For big hits, you might still be leaking fluid. However, in my 10 years of owning FJRs, I have rarely heard of a radiator issue. So, when it happens to you...it is bad. But it doesn't seem to happen very often.
My read of his post is that he's asking about actual radiators, not guards (which is what the original post was).

I don't know of anybody who has fitted one of those aftermarket radiators. If you go to a radiator place, they may be able to repair your one. Or you could get a second hand one. I personally would not use one of those after market ones.

I did poke a hole in my Gen I rad and had it repaired at a regular car radiator shop, but that was one hole from a puncture. I'd think if yours is from salt corrosion the damage is more general and a fix in one spot won't do much good for the rest of the weakened structure.

No expertise on non-Yamaha rads so I won't offer an opinion on that. Getting the repaired rad back in was interesting, though.

Someone (dcarver maybe) bought an aftermarket radiator off ebay and it didn't fit very well. Brackets didn't line up correctly and possibly other problems.

I sprung a small leak in my over 100,000 mile 07 and just bought a used OEM FJR radiator off ebay to fix that problem. I still have the old one sitting in the garage for future repair or if someone wants it.

Getting a used OEM off ebay or where ever would be my thought, too.

Also look at OEM new from discounter parts places like Ron Ayres Yamaha; I'm sure the folks here can relate some sites also. It will give you some perspective on new vs used.

I guess if you had the time, wanted to mess with it, and they had a return guarantee, you could try one of the cheapie radiators. Report back here if you do and let us know how it was.