Split:What.option.bike you miss on your FJR? Now Coastal Sea Food Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
...We have...blue crabs...blackfin and yellowfin...Any of those wonderful creatures would happily volunteer for the privilege of being prepared as dinner by me...
Blue crabs, that there will buy you forgives for not having cold water lobsters. Plus, we have flat fish, ground fish like haddock & cod and cold water fish like salmon.

Us NERDS have had a coastal ride stopping along the way to sample chowders and stews, ending at Bar Harbor for lobstah. Oh, the sea RTEs... Unlike the land-locked RTEs that pursue cows & pigs slowly burned over fruit wood and hardwoods.

Last edited by a moderator:
PM responded to and acknowledged.

As a remarkable coincidence (and I do NOT believe in coincidences), as Pop and I were eating a delicious crawfish stew this evening, I told him about the friendly seafood banter in the bike option thread. I mentioned my admiration for a couple forum members in New Hampshire... sorry, I just choked while typing that. Anyway, we discussed riding to New England to meet smart people and eat lobster. Or lobstah.

I returned home to a PM and this thread.

Tomorrow Pop, myself, and his two retarded nephews are supposed to discuss where we are riding to this year and for how long. I will throw it out there that I am casting a vote for New England. Since I do all the planning and Pop has the final say...

Split! Sweet! Odd place to split it but it was rather messy.

I like it when a plan comes together, especially when it's sort of my plan.
biggrin.png
If the rest of your group of gulf area folks is as fond of seafood as you are, I don't see how you guys really have any other choice at this point. How can you NOT take a sweet run up the Appalachians to NE and sample the best there is to offer along the way?

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Had to revisit this thread because The East Coast Shellfish Challenge is very much on my mind. My Yankee friends can take this as a direct challenge or a simple information exchange.

A friend/coworker of mine has been running a few crawfish traps. He called me around 11:30 today, he had a couple sacks of crawfish that needed a good home. I made a few calls and...

Cleaning them up for the boil:

Mrs. Redfish is an LSU fan so...

The seasoning is in, the water is heating...

Needed a size reference and he would not be still.

The almost finished product:

So my friends, those crawfish are shellfish. You will have to trust me when I say they were outstanding.

Fred? Your move.
smile.png

They look like bugs! At least the REAL lobster from the northeast coast makes for a meal! I don't expect to become a crawfish convert anytime soon.

Lol, bug's is what some in Maine call their version, they just seem to grow them a little bigger up there. Come to think of it, Maine also knows how to grow some big mean ass mosquitos and moose flies, the kind that smell Deep Woods Off and laugh.

I have eaten both crayfish in Louisiana and lobster in Maine. Both are bugs. I prefer lobster by far. When I am in Louisiana I seek out a tasty piece of alligator. That's good eating.

I'll eat crawfish, but in the back of my mind, I always remember the numerous people we have pulled out of our irrigation ditches with crawfish attached to their eyelids, earlobes and lips. I figure lobster do the same thing, so whatever.

Dammit...I LOVE lobster and crab. Seafood in general I guess. I will say this: RFH is a hellavua cook. The fish he grilled for Patch, Hannah and me was amazing.

Being completely honest (with regards to crawfish anyway!), crawfish are some of my least favorite shellfish. Anything that requires that much seasoning to taste good cannot be that good to start. I have my seasoning down to an art form and a science. While I have eaten many, many delicious crawfish dishes and had many a tasty boiled crawfish, I have also eaten plenty that were not worth my time.

I can say based on experience that even folks from out of state like what I do with seafood.

I mostly posted those pics to antagonize the two smart guys in New Hampshire and to keep this little thread alive.
smile.png

Back from a busy weekend. Just catching up here...

Being completely honest (with regards to crawfish anyway!), crawfish are some of my least favorite shellfish. Anything that requires that much seasoning to taste good cannot be that good to start.
As I was looking at your photos I was thinking to myself: "Why do they put all that seasoning stuff in the water?" I guess you answered that. I have never before had the opportunity to eat crawfish. And being a big Grisham fan, since reading "A Time to Kill" and the big deal he made about what a great feed that was, I've been anxious to give it a whirl.

When we cook lobsters up in northern New England there is really only one right way to do it. Oh sure, you'll see it on the menu at fancy shmancy restaurants done all sorts of ways, from Newburg, to Baked/Stuffed, to "Lazy Man's"... but the best way is plain old "boiled" in fresh sea water and plopped whole on your plate. While they call it a boil, they are really steamed since you only fill the pot with water about an inch or two at the bottom. and then toss the bugs in the boiling pot live and kickin' !

There are no seasonings added to the boil. The only seasoning you'll ever need on the delicately flavored lobster meat is a little drawn butter. What you especially do not want to do is to overcook them, as the meat, particularly in the claws, gets too firm and dry. So, how do you know when they are done? Easy, just grab one of their two antennae and when it pulls off easily they are done to perfection.

Half of the fun of eating lobsters is pulling them apart, which can be messy, so they are best had "in the rough", i.e. some place not real fancy. Red checkered table cloth on a picnic table is the norm. Those little plastic bibs they give you are required if you care to keep your clothes spotless. I usually just let it fly and deal with a few spots on my tee shirt.

In winter, spring, and early summer the bugs are still in their hard shells, so a cracker may be needed for the claws. But by around the first of July most adults will have shed (molted) and are in their new soft shells, so no tools are needed at all. The soft shell's flesh will be smaller and softer inside the new shell (I like that), and more of their weight will be from seawater, so the prices do go down then. Just need to buy bigger ones!

But a good lobster boil is not just lobsters. You have to warm up with some shellfish as an appetizer. You do like steamed clams, right? If not, raw oysters on the half shell are a good choice, but of course only in months with an "R" in the name. So steamers in the hot summer, and oysters in the cooler months. Lately the steamers have been mighty pricey, so we'll do up some native muscles instead. They are almost as good and much cheaper. And there is nothing quite like a fresh slice of Maine blueberry pie for dessert to wrap up a successful boil. I like mine with a curl of vanilla ice cream.
wink.png

Last Friday Josie came home from the local market with three pound and a halfers for dinner. They were on sale $5.99 a lb. The shells were hard and pretty full, so we each ate one, and had the third to use for cold lobster salad later in the week. (Sorry, no photos. Guess it didn't really happen)

Fred, this discussion is making me hungry. My mouth is actually watering at the thought of a fresh, Maine Lobster.

Crawfish are a huge part of our culture down here. They are boiled, they are fried, they are used in stews, gumbos, etouffees, bisques, salads, dips, and many more things. In every case, a lot of seasoning is required. Lots of red (cayenne) pepper, lots of salt, it takes a lot to make them good.

Crawfish are worth the time and effort it takes to prepare them but they are not my favorite. I do think a backyard Crawfish Boil is an almost essential part of the Louisiana Experience.

We had a couple of those giant seafaring crawfish this weekend, I should have taken pictures. Enjoyed them very much. Depending on the season they come in soft shell just after molting where often the shell hasn't been completely filled yet and can be watery or they come as hard shell. These were hard shell, we are talking power tool level hard shell
smile.png
Motivation for good eats overcame the Chobham armor and we got 'er done. YUMMMM!

Since there is a conspicuous absence of Fud pR0n from the northeast in this thread, here are some photos of my Birthday dinner a couple of years ago, up in Bah Habah. Maine. Hard to tell from the photo, but that was a 2 pounder.

photo2.jpg

In case you didn't know how...

photo1.jpg

Mmmm... blueberry pie. No instructions required!

photo3.jpg

Had to avoid this thread for a while...we went out to Red Lobster so the wife could have her annual birthday dinner of King Crab. I unfortunately, picked the "Fishermans Bake" (or something like that) which consisted of lobster tails, shrimp, scallops, and mussels on a bed of pasta with tomato.

Tasted great. Then 4 hours later I was sick, all night.... shooting out of both ends. Guessing it was the mussels. Never again...(yes, there's no R in May)

Lobster me anytime. Boil is fine, but best I had was a little 2-1/2 pounder I brought home, cut down the length and put on the grill....basting it with garlic butter while it cooked. Damn it was good.

Have yet to eat crawfish. Little gun shy now after the mussel incident, but would like to try them.

(Now thinking ......"Smoked Lobster"......)

... It's just an over grown crayfish
southern-rock-lobster-1-jasus-edwardsii.jpg

Now, this is what I call a lobster!

Big.Lobster-662x1024.jpg

When I was a kid, my parents had some friends down on the south shore of MA that would buy a ~ 15 - 16 pound Jumbo and cook it in a trash can. That would be enough to feed both families. Funny thing is those big 'uns are just as tender and delicious as the little ones.

Laws have changed and now you can't keep them if they are too big or too small.

I've seen some lobster tails here that are about as big as the one the guys holding^

I think they are some kind of Caribbean species. I wonder how you cook it all the way through without over cooking the outside?