SPOT Emergency Contact List

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...THEN, find somewhere on me to carry it. Just doesn't make any sense to have it stuck on the bike, sorry...JMO.
I think they need to work with a helmet manufacturer to integrate one into a helmet. :)

...I really liked the $8 option that covers rescue services up to $50k. Nothing would suck more than surviving a crash but having to face an expensive rescue bill.
Id think that service would be more useful for backcountry activities. Cant imagine rescue services being required much on a highway.

IPhones can download "instamapper" so family members or whoever you give your login and password can monitor your progress and location from a PC...
Cool! What an awesome tool this iPhone is turning out to be. :-D

On topic, a couple of comments:

This seems to be a reincarnation of the FJR Assistance List updated for the new technology that is available. That being said, count me in. I dont have a spot, and am not convinced of its value yet, but I would be willing to provide help when needed. I also think this would be valuable to non-spot owners who could email from their MID (Mobile Internet Device) as well. Just a thought.

1 person to be set their spot and send a test "help" message or two (after I give you details on what to do to your spot)[Toe Cutter (aka: Bob F aka: fireman bob. aka: The guy with the long hose.]
Bob, thanks for volunteering, trying to get a couple of issues worked out -and some tests from your spot will be helpful.

www.SpotHelpGroup.com

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea. Thanks for grabbing it and running with it RenoJohn. I am in, and will help out with testing any way I can.

Earlier in this thread there were questions about where a Spot can be located and still work. Mine works very well from inside my tank bag, buried under several layers of plastic and fabric. It also worked from inside my tank bag which had been placed inside the Yamaha side case.

Email sent RJ

Oh, and it my Spot works fine in the tank bag, covered, facing up. At least locally on a clear day. Will test more.

I don't have internet access during day time now, but will help when I can!

RJ - GREAT JOB!

I sent some test messages out today with mine inside the house, near a window.

Should I hate pigs if I have Swine Flu?

Email sent RJ
Oh, and it my Spot works fine in the tank bag, covered, facing up. At least locally on a clear day. Will test more.

RJ - GREAT JOB!
hmmmm... tried mine while riding some gravel/dirt outside town and inside my jacket. Wife didn't get half the signals. Don't know what to say. Maybe it's anomaly of my unit? I was in and out of woods and some fair elevation changes... :dntknw:

RJ,

Excellent idea, I have been using the SPOT for over a year in conjunction with the Jason Jonas' STM site.

Where do I sign up for the SPOT Assistance List?

I think the Spot has a hard time transmitting through tree canopy or receiving GPS signals through trees. But the new Spot 2 has a better GPS antenna which may solve part of this problem. It also may be important that the Spot antenna be pointing UP, rather than being in the vertical position like if it was in your pocket or clipped onto your belt. When mine was buried in my tank bag or the side case and worked fine, the antenna was pointing up.

Plus the new Spot 2 will always transmit your present location PLUS your last two locations (10 and 20 minutes earlier) with every 10-minute update, in case the earlier ones were missed. This alone may be enough reason to upgrade to the new Spot 2.

Spot, on their facebook page, said, when someone asked about upgrading to the new Spot 2:

QUOTE Stay tuned for an upgrade plan this fall

Email sent RJ

RJ - GREAT JOB!
hmmmm... tried mine while riding some gravel/dirt outside town and inside my jacket. Wife didn't get half the signals. Don't know what to say. Maybe it's anomaly of my unit? I was in and out of woods and some fair elevation changes... :dntknw:
I think the Spot has a hard time transmitting through tree canopy or receiving GPS signals through trees. But the new Spot 2 has a better GPS antenna which may solve part of this problem. It also may be important that the Spot antenna be pointing UP, rather than being in the vertical position like if it was in your pocket or clipped onto your belt. When mine was buried in my tank bag or the side case and worked fine, the antenna was pointing up.

Plus the new Spot 2 will always transmit your present location PLUS your last two locations (10 and 20 minutes earlier) with every 10-minute update, in case the earlier ones were missed. This alone may be enough reason to upgrade to the new Spot 2.

Spot, on their facebook page, said, when someone asked about upgrading to the new Spot 2:

Stay tuned for an upgrade plan this fall

Good info buddy. thanks. I must be a luddite. Never been on facebook before. And Old Michael: No misquoting me! :D

EDIT: That facebook thingy is interesting:

"Steve : (, do to the poor performance this past weekend with my spot, while backpacking, I have returned it to the store, you pretty much need clear skys, without a tree in sight for this thing to work, even then its a crap shoot. since, I mainly do backpacking in the woods, and snow shoing, its useless to me...."

"SPOT GPS MessengerSteve, sorry to hear that. We have had thousands of satisfied customers and hope that you get on board again. Although it's a satellite product and SPOT needs a view of the sky to communicate with the satellites, having the unit with the logo side up and unobstructed is very important. For example, fastened down on the top of a shoulder strap or on the top of a pack. Thank you.

September 15 at 10:02amSPOT GPS MessengerEveryone as a reminder, please visit our faq section at https://faq.findmespot.com and read through many helpful tips. There is even a section called SPOT Usage Tips. The faq page is a great learning resource."

IPhones can download "instamapper" so family members or whoever you give your login and password can monitor your progress and location from a PC. If I remember correctly, it was a free download from the IPhone apps system.
Work well except it eats up the IPhone battery and slows it down running in the background.

You can ride with the IPhone plugged into a 12v charger which helps.

google "instamapper for iphone"

let's ride safe and be careful out there as best we can so SPOT and Instamapper is only a precaution,

Mike in Nawlins'
Thanks Mike. I found it in the App Store under the name "GPS Tracker" with positive reviews. I'll be testing it out this week.