SS braided brake lines: who's got 'me on their FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi gents. I'm curious who has SS brake lines on their FJR. I've always put them on the sportbikes I've owned in the past, and was most likely going to put them on my FJR. However, the brakes are a little more complex on the FJR then they were on my previous bikes.

If you have SS lines, which brand did you use? Any issues with fitting?

Did you also put a SS line on the clutch as well?

Thanks in advance for the input you can provide.

The only one I know for sure that has them is Canunklehead Biker in Calgary. I believe he has a Galfer kit. According to the website the kit includes the clutch hose and is a seven hose kit.

The only issue I am aware of is that the old fittings may be corroded / galled and can be very difficult to remove. If you screw up the ABS block be prepared to spend many dollars.

I got them on a group buy years ago on my first FJR. I did not find the fittings worked well, and seemed like a pain in the ass.

I am very happy with the brakes on my GEN 3 and have NO intentions on putting SS lines on...

...however, if you wish to do so, more power to you.
punk.gif

If you do an install, take photos, and give your review. I haven't heard of anybody doing it lately...so fresh data would be good.

Gee the brakes on the ABS FJRs are so good, why?

I got them on a group buy years ago on my first FJR. I did not find the fittings worked well, and seemed like a pain in the ass.

I am very happy with the brakes on my GEN 3 and have NO intentions on putting SS lines on...

...however, if you wish to do so, more power to you.
punk.gif

If you do an install, take photos, and give your review. I haven't heard of anybody doing it lately...so fresh data would be good.
+1. I have a 09 Gen II with abs and the brake on it are very good too.

I bought the SS lines, wave rotors and brake pads during the original Galfer group buy many years ago anticipating at least one warped rotor and soft hoses sooner rather than later on my ABS '05. Still no issues,and never did do the install.

Everything is still new in the boxes around here somewhere. I remain very pleased with the stock brakes on the FJR .

Last edited by a moderator:
Galfers, I put them on my 06 a couple of years ago and love it. Feels like new brakes every time you grab a handful. Always put them on my sport bikes, seem like a good idea. Stock setup was real good but, Farkels? Yea maybe. It's about choices I guess.

H

'05 non-ABS....did it....3 lines....cake and great!

'05 ABS....did it.....about 7 lines.....meh...it helped some, but was a PITA to do them all.

'06 or later.......no way is it worth it to me to do.

Had them installed on my '03 for many years now. Can't remember the brand.(edit - they are Spiegler) Installation wasn't bad at all and I did the clutch line also. This was an "03 though, without ABS. Gen 2 models became more complex.

I haven't checked the manual, but most manufacturers list brake line replacement intervals as 4 years or similar. Obviously that gets ignored an awful lot, but if one were to replace the stock lines as nominal maintenance, it would seem reasonable to use braided steel lines, many of which are supposed to last nigh on to forever.

I bought a set of very nice SS lines from a forum member that purchased them in the long ago group buy. They fit very nicely. The clutch and m/c lines were +1.5 inches allowing the use of Heli risers on top of the MV riser plate. Very complete 7 line set.

They were a chrome plated bitch to install. Even harder to get the fronts bled properly. I used speed bleeders, Mity-vac, the ol' fashioned pump up and release, bungied the brake lever to the bar for days, activated the ABS pump. Never did get 'em perfect. Almost tried the drop it off a cliff method.

If I knew then what I know now I'd probably not bother.

But they sure do look kewl
rolleyes.gif

I haven't checked the manual, but most manufacturers list brake line replacement intervals as 4 years or similar. Obviously that gets ignored an awful lot, but if one were to replace the stock lines as nominal maintenance, it would seem reasonable to use braided steel lines, many of which are supposed to last nigh on to forever.
I have........ from page 6-6 of my Owners Manual 'Periodic Maintenance & Adjustment".

• Every two years replace the internal components of the brake master cylinders and calipers as well as clutch master and release cylinders and change the brake & clutch fluids.

• Replace the brake & clutch hoses every four years (or if cracked or damaged).

How many people do that? I certainly don't.............

I don't know if anyone does that (I certainly don't, either). Other than hydraulic fluid every year or two and new (aftermarket) brake pads (as necessary), everything on the braking and clutch systems is original and still working as well as the day I got the bike. Must be one of those liability clauses, these systems last a very long time if properly maintained.

I have Spiegler lines on my '05 w/ABS. It was a little consuming to do them all, but it wasn't that bad. I like them and had no issues installing them.

Thanks guys. I think I'll keep the oem lines. Bleeding the abs system seems like a real pain. To be fair, the brakes are pretty good on my 08. I'll possibly change pads if I feel I need more braking power down the road.

Just bleed your brakes every two years with new fluid, keep and eye on your pads, and call it a day. Nothing wrong with the stock lines. I've installed braded lines on other bikes, and I've used some quality stuff from folks like Goodridge, etc. At the end of the day, it was all for looks and very little function gain over the stock lines. Not to mention lots of money and work for very little return. I might would consider putting my money and time into an accessory that might actually add some comfort or operational value.

Just ordering a set of Galfers for '05 this week.

#336-3/R/CL +2 inches for the Helibar(s)

yes, plural!

They should thank Iggy for the referral; bought his old F/Fender and I'm too lazy to take the decal off!