SS1000 and BMR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Thursday I woke up early to ride across Tehachapi (Hwy 58) in Central California. It was low 30's when I left my house. Forecast was for some snow across the pass. Overcast, but not snow. But the temp was 21 degrees. Met a riding friend at Hwy 58 and Hwy 14 for some bonus hunting across CA, AZ, NV. And work in a SS1000 at the same time. We collected a bunch of BMR bonuses in strange, far away little towns like Oatman, AZ and Chloride, NV. It was snowing slighly and some sleet. Hit a couple of bonuses in Vegas and by this time it was 6 pm. Next went to Amargosa Valley for a FS bonus. Got that. Our path took us across Death Valley via Hwy 190. Fun place at night. At the top coming out of DV it was again 21 degrees. Rode to Trona, Randsburg, Johannsburg for a couple of more bonuses. We then went to Kramer Jcn and parted ways. He went to So Cal and I started for home in the heavy wind, snow, 21 degree weather across Tehachapi. I made it home before 5:30 am for a 24 ride. 1,120 miles and lots of fun. Though I rode the miles by GPS I didn't have any way to document some of the out of the way loacations that we rode to for bonuses. So, my receipts total about 970 miles, but my total miles ridden are well over 1,100. I have photos of the sites I went, the time I was there via sending to BMR, and I was with another well-known person to the IBA who was only bonus hunting and not doing a SS1000 at the same time. I have partial SPOT tracking as it only worked for part of the time. I'll still submit what I have to the IBA and plead my case. Home in bed by 6 am!

Woke up Friday and started thinking that if the IBA doesn't certify Thursday's ride I will risk my at least one cert/month streak that I have going. Decisions, decisions. I already had a ride planned for Saturday to meet Doug and a few others for the RTE in So Cal. I figured that I could attend the RTE and knock out a SS1000 at the same time. So, Saturday I'm out the door at 0530 with my gas receipt obtained. The weather forecast was for dry weather, but colder. Indeed it was dry and 14 degrees across Tehachapi. It really wasn't a big deal as I've spent a lot of time and energy in learning how to stay warm in those conditions at speed for sustained distances. It's certainly paid off. A total of approximately 4 hours was spent in temps 14-21 degrees. When it hit the high 20's it felt like a heat wave! This route has turned out to be one of my favorite SS1000 routes. Through San Bernardino to Temecula. From Temecula I took hwy 78 toward a town called Julian. Ok, all good so far with a great road to ride. Julian is at elevation and the road had snow, ice, and sand on it. It was pretty easily passable. On my way to the pizza RTE! Woo Hoo! Then for whatever reason in my rookie routing there was a breakdown and I ended up on I-8 and no real good idea how to get to the RTE. No problem, I will just take out my nifty netbook that I just got for Christmas and my recently loaded 2013 version of S&T's. Great! Well, not great as I downloaded the trial version and forgot to actually buy it. I tried, but couldn't buy the copy for some reason.

Now what. I know Doug was expecting me to be there. I called him, but no answer. I decided to push on with the SS1000 and salvage something from the day. I-8 east to Yuma, north through Blythe to Needles, to Barstow and home across Tehachapi. Again sub 20 degree weather. Home by 10:30 pm with a well-documented SS1000.

That's all!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Great report and sounds like a really great adventure. Weather wise, you managed to pick the cold weekend!

When you left Julian did you head south on 79 or east on 78?

Anyway, congrats on one - or two - successful days.