SS1000 / BB1500 Tx to Ca planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Been psyching on this one for two months now.

Have to make a trek to California for Sis-50th B-day.

Will make the trip on the FJR, thought-why not shoot for the SS1000 & BB1500, since the total distance on the trip to Fontana is 1505 Google Maps. Of course I will be making my finishing point 50miles farther, just to compensate for any mileage mis-calcs, and to comply with the IBA guidelines.

Have read the IBA 25 and the rules guidelines and requirements...

Expected Dates of travel January 7th-8th, return 5 days later at a more leisurely pace.

Should I have issues going and don't get it done- I can redo on the return trip.

:assassin: What I'm working with:

FJR-2004 15400 odo, stock as I really like the seat...may get some beads though.

Garmin Nuvi 330

12volt outlet

Freeway Blaster Horns

Cup holder mounting

Factory Trunk & saddles of course

and recommended LD- tools and traveling repair aids.

Don't need the gps, as I will be traveling on I-10East I-10 West all the way, as suggested by the IBA-25...but you never know in case there needs to be a detour for an accident or traffic.

Have done 500 miles in 24hrs, longest ride...Athletic 42yrs, and still had much left in the physical and mental tank. Love to ride.

Some issues and concerns that I do have.

Weather in January...In Houston - El paso - Phoenix - New Mexico - California it's the coldest part of the year. Avg. 32F low and 53F high.

I ride year round, heat-rain, cold-rain.

My mindset now as the temps fall into the 40's in Houston today is...it's better to do it during the winter than the summer with temps 95F -115F all the way...is that right or wrong thinking here?

Will finish the SS1000 a bit on the other side of Phoenix, AZ so probably will be posting for a forum member to be a finishing witness for that one.

Catch a little 6hr sleep at a hotel, and hoof'em on into CA to complete the BB1500.

And will post for another forum member to witness that finish also...psychologically better to call upon a fellow rider for a finish of this magnitude and personal MC accomplishment...another IBA 25.

Has anyone attempted this route for their SS1000 /or/ BB1500?

Any route info to share would be greatly appreciated.

Tried to find some detailed weather for those above listed cities for that time of year on the net, but folks who actually live and ride those cities would be better resources for me.

I'll be anxiously reading for thoughts and suggetions on this posted intended endeavor.

Whew, feel better already just posting this up...now really amped to 'get'r done'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to schedule your start so that you are riding between San Antonio and El Paso during daylight hours as the speed limit on I-10 is 80 mph during the day and 65 mph at night. Besides that they do have a few Deer strikes in the area between Kerville and Fort Stockton.

Also there is really no where to stay after you get about 25 miles west of Phoenix until you get to within 20 miles of the California/Arizona border.

Thanks on that one.

Did not know that about the I-10 80mph during the day. Will be striking out around the early am, so should put me in good time to get through el Paso.

Looked at plan map when I got home, stopping point will be around the Tuscon area, not the Phoenix...so I should be good.

Don't need the gps, as I will be traveling on I-10 East all the way, as suggested by the IBA-25...but you never know in case there needs to be a detour for an accident or traffic.
you might wanna invest in a GPS if you plan to go East on I-10 from Texas to California :rolleyes:
Oh yes, I have one the 330, as listed under 'What I'm working with"

Don't need the gps, as I will be traveling on I-10 East all the way, as suggested by the IBA-25...but you never know in case there needs to be a detour for an accident or traffic.
you might wanna invest in a GPS if you plan to go East on I-10 from Texas to California :rolleyes:
Oh yes, I have one the 330, as listed under 'What I'm working with"
That's not what he meant. You stated you were traveling from TX to CA, but also stated you were taking I-10 East (the opposite direction). Try going west, you'll get to CA a lot sooner. Check the temps in NM and west TX at night, it can get pretty cool to downright cold during this time of year. Good luck.

Also be advised that there are a lot of long stretches with no gas in West Texas and even New Mexico. So plan your gas stops ahead of time.

Also be advised that there are a lot of long stretches with no gas in West Texas and even New Mexico. So plan your gas stops ahead of time.
Oops! Yea thanks, corrected that.

Quite true, thanks....Finished the planning stops yesterday..That Google planning and mapping is truly awesome. Allows you to zoom in with photos, and then walk through the photos to see exactly what is there....gas stations and eateries. Was able to plot the course and also print the photos of the map turns and photos of each stop to show what's actually there.

I-10 is a popular LD route, but generally not this time of year. Weather is an unknown and could cause you to bail on your ride or worse. Of course, weather might be ok, too. Night temps in a lot of these places could be COLD. Sub-40s, or even sub-30s. I-10 between El Paso and Tucson hits 5,000' elevations IIRC. I would expect night time temps there to be pretty chilly. In the 20s.

Extremes of cold (and hot) temps can really be fatiguing. For me, cold is worse. So you REALLY want to make sure you have the proper gear to keep warm. Riding in the cold for hours on end is a completely different beast than riding in the cold for an hour or two.

Also, you say you don't need your GPS. I disagree. It will be an invaluable tool to use while conducting your ride.

Stock seat for a ride like this? Your butt is more iron than mine. I would NOT get the beads - they provide MORE ventilation to the rear. Not something you want with the cold temps you will be in. An airhawk cushion would be the preferred $$$ alternative. Perhaps you could borrow one from someone?

If you need and Arizona witness, I could be your huckleberry.

Good luck on your ride.

Thanks SkooterG- Good advice on all accounts.

Still tweaking the seat, but stock does pretty good for the joust.

Yea, will have the gps.

Gonna mail some things to the coast, so that I don't have to pack visiting clothes, and have plenty of room for interchanging the riding gear for whatever comes up. As what you suggested about changing temps; that is what I ponder the most.

Thanks a bunch for the Arizona witnessing, that's huge. Will pm closer to date as well.

I went the opposite way, but not an IB.. From San Diego to Ohio in the beginning of April, and it was cold out west. hell, it was cold back East! <G>

I hope you have heated gear.

Warn & Safe stuff is good, they also have heated pants liners....yeah, I know you have a fairing, and I was on a Harley with just a windshield, but it's still cold!

also possibility of snow (oops, 4 letter word!) on some higher elevations.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/

Make sure you also have something on your head under your helmet and something available to cover your mouth and nose, just in case you need it (Silk hankerchiefs work well, also fleece) . You might consider a sheepskin for your seat. Wool holds the heat, air seats cool off way faster.

You do not want to get chilled. I'll take the 105F hot Texas summers to the 35F cold rainy winter we're having right now. I wimped out and got a pair of heated pants liners to go with my heated jacket liner and gloves. ( Good thing I have a Harley and am too stupid to realize that I should check the alternator output.... B) )

and don't get dehydrated..... cold dries you out almost as fast as hot. Bad thing is you don't notice.

Take care and have fun!

Mary

Will check out the liner's.

Darn thing about this ride is I could conceivably go from Houston 60 degrees to Elpaso 30 degrees to AZ 60 degrees to CA hills 30 degrees.

Thanks Mary for the info. Have to differ on the TX 105 heat' it'll make you shed clothes and gear unmercifully...when that humidity factors in.

Its possible you could hit rain or snow do you have an thermomiter on your bike thats shows possible ice on the roadway, you'll need heated gear for your ride especially at night and cold weather gloves.Its fun to do IBA rides asa I've got 4 done.

2 1k 19 hrs and 16 1/2

1500 BBG 23 1/2 hrs

50CC coast to coast 38 hrs rogerfjrfaster :yahoo:

IBA 21261

Its possible you could hit rain or snow do you have an thermomiter on your bike thats shows possible ice on the roadway, you'll need heated gear for your ride especially at night and cold weather gloves.Its fun to do IBA rides asa I've got 4 done.
2 1k 19 hrs and 16 1/2

1500 BBG 23 1/2 hrs

50CC coast to coast 38 hrs rogerfjrfaster :yahoo:

IBA 21261
Yea, got some Fieldsheer Eskimo's, they are quite warm. Used them couple days ago, 31 deg. Did notice, that with the thick gloves, I will have to remove the foam grips that I have over the stock grips, just to maintain a greater feeling of control. Debating about heated grips, won't be going with heated upper gear and heated gloves...all that amp usage bothers me, been testing the UA and the Hot Chilly's with ski pants, and man do that stuff keep you warm....base layering is the key. Have been learning alot about that.

Staggering reading; is about guys who do these SS/BB rides, many use cruisers and no-heat gear.

Won't be traveling during the dead of night. Scheduled to complete the ss1000 at Lordsburg New Mexico, around 9:30pm.....shut it down for the night....and scheduled to complete the bb1500 at a dealership in West Covina on Azuza hwy. the next afternooon.

Yes, do have a bike thermometer on board.

Debating about heated grips, won't be going with heated upper gear and heated gloves...all that amp usage bothers me, been testing the UA and the Hot Chilly's with ski pants, and man do that stuff keep you warm....base layering is the key.
Definitely re-think the heated gear. I use a vest plus heated grips and don't have any amperage issues. Also been thinking about heated pant liners. I don't think you can make up for the wind induced heat loss when the temps are in the 30's and low 40's, your body simply can't generate enough heat (average person=about 500 watts of heat).

As Scoot says, the cold can be worse than the heat for fatigue. Think about yourself thundering down I-10 after 16 hours at O'Dark:30 and 35F, imagining how warm and comfortable.....the.....motel... bed.....will....feel.....zzzzzzzzz

DAMHIK

Won't be traveling during the dead of night.
Bwaahahahahahahahahhahahahahah!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. That was our original plan too. Clicky

"20:31 hours from start to finish. We had planned on about 17 hours at 60MPH but I guess the rain, construction, and a couple of very necessary breaks extended the duration somewhat."

Actually, I've been contemplating a very similar ride around Stuporbowl Sunday to go out to CA and meet up with some friends in the desert. However, I just came thru NM this last weekend and the temps along I-10 never got out of the 20's. Brrrrrrrr.......

Also, don't think because the Interstate is clear, dry and ice free that everything else is. I just about swapped ends in my cage this weekend when I went thru a patch of Black Ice on a transition rode in Lubbock of all places. And the gas stations were full of sheet ice even when the roads right next to them were clear and dry. So be VERY CAREFUL when you get off for gas.

IMHO the weather will be the decisive factor in your ride.

Geezzz....20's eh... that is a cold spell. uhmm, vest not looking so bad now.

Notice you had some lights- with vest and heated grips....so you say they don't pull too much. Well that's great info.

Geezzz....20's eh... that is a cold spell. uhmm, vest not looking so bad now.
Notice you had some lights- with vest and heated grips....so you say they don't pull too much. Well that's great info.
Many years ago, I left west coast attempting a 50CC in January. Weather is unpredictable, and I had to turn around near El Paso due to snowstorm in east Texas and beyond. Watch the weather closely in your travel area. Cold is also your enemy, and sounds like you know about it and have a plan. If no heated socks, wear sock liners and themolite socks or thinsolite or sumpin. I'd also consider some chemical toe warmers since they will get cold easily over multi hour ride. BB1500gold means no sleep in the 24hr span so you will be riding many hours at night. SS1000 would have much less night riding. How is your lighting? You may have mentioned it, but I missed it. I don't like long rides when any part of my body is too cold, so good luck to you.

doctorj