Standard Height of Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reformer

Reaction score
I keep reading +(-) 1,2,3,4 inches as descriptions of windscreens, but I don't ever see the standard height of the stock windscreen. I bought my 06 from my dad and he really does not know how much bigger than stock it is. It does not cover me well, so I'm thinking of cutting it down to a shorty for the florida summer and buying another shield (taller) for winter. The screen that is on the bike now is 22" from bottom to top. If this is already a +4 or +5, then I may really need to look for a screen that is not so much taller but pushes the air differently. I think I need several more inches to make the current screen work for me. I'm 6'2 1/2" and I sit up around the tank with my back straight (so I sit tall).

Thank for any help you can offer. Also, if you have a widscreen (shorty or taller than mine) that you are wanting to pass along, I'm in the market for whichever makes the most sense.

Here is a link to Cee Baileys site that gives the standard windshield dimentions. From that it looks like you have a +3" one. It might be the Yamaha touring shield which I tried, and hated(I'm only 5'9"). It is a hit and miss for a lot of folks here, but I found that the "flip" on the Cee Baileys shields pushes the air up higher without added sheild height. I tried the V-Stream, but it seemed to "flutter" all the time. Good Luck, and Happy hunting!!

Thanks for the link and info. Here is a link to a photo of my current 22" screen

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NrCRw4VCCCZQMJOfPdh4d5MLajYvsolRJg1eEaAr66E?feat=directlink

It really does nothing more than keep the wind off of my chest and face. The entire top of my helmet is in the wind. I can see over it quite easily, so I suspect that one solution is to get a screen a few inches taller. If the "flip" you're talking about it the curvature at the top, that might help some too. I had an old BMW K-bike that had that flip, but I had nothing to compare it to. It sure would be nice to have one screen that I could put up and get out of the wind and into that nice bubble where you hear just the sound the engine purrrrrr.. Thanks again for the link. I think I'll chop this one down, tint it dark and enjoy it for summer rides in Florida where wind is our friend. :)

Thanks for the link and info. Here is a link to a photo of my current 22" screen

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NrCRw4VCCCZQMJOfPdh4d5MLajYvsolRJg1eEaAr66E?feat=directlink

It really does nothing more than keep the wind off of my chest and face. The entire top of my helmet is in the wind. I can see over it quite easily, so I suspect that one solution is to get a screen a few inches taller. If the "flip" you're talking about it the curvature at the top, that might help some too. I had an old BMW K-bike that had that flip, but I had nothing to compare it to. It sure would be nice to have one screen that I could put up and get out of the wind and into that nice bubble where you hear just the sound the engine purrrrrr.. Thanks again for the link. I think I'll chop this one down, tint it dark and enjoy it for summer rides in Florida where wind is our friend. :)

OK.. so I cut my +3 shield down about 6 inches and had black vynal put over the top to black it out. I'm tall and sit tall, so it was no problem to see over even in the up position. Here is a link to the bike with the shorty on:

https://picasaweb.google.com/opmcounseling/Mar28201102?feat=directlink

I rode 573 miles in one 12 hour journey around south florida. Temps got up into the low 90's and I was glad that I had the wind to feel and lean into. The bike feels much faster up to 100mps (though I don't want to go that darn fast) and the handling actually feels quite different. With the big screen, I felt like I could just look left and the bike would follow. With the shorty on, I had to ride the bike with countersteering. I'm happy with what I have and will use a +6 shield that I have on order when the heat subsides. Only thing I'm not happy about are the bugs. Full faced shield is a must!!! Unfortunately, that still leaves a bit of neck for those little bugs to sting when they splat on you. Oh well, it's worth it to enjoy this great bike!

OK.. so I cut my +3 shield down about 6 inches and had black vynal put over the top to black it out. I'm tall and sit tall, so it was no problem to see over even in the up position. Here is a link to the bike with the shorty on:

https://picasaweb.google.com/opmcounseling/Mar28201102?feat=directlink
Shorty?...

That's not a shorty!...

This is a shorty:...

Bike%20Trip%20Jan%202011%20Omeo%20Cann%20River%20004%20crop.jpg

nameless

yeah. looks nice that short. I wanted to keep the wind up over my iPhone holder while in the low positoin. I may regret that. Now I have vynal on it and I'm not sure how nicely it will cut and sand.

yeah. looks nice that short. I wanted to keep the wind up over my iPhone holder while in the low positoin. I may regret that. Now I have vynal on it and I'm not sure how nicely it will cut and sand.
You could just take it off when it gets really hot... depends on your local climate i suppose, here it is hot and generally little rain in the summer so the shield is pretty useless unless moving at greatish speeds. ;)

nameless

Latest posts