STAR VS. Harley

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockfjr

Reaction score
I am toying with adding another bike to the garage. I enjoy my 04 FJR that I have put 14k on. I mostly enjoy it for rides from Fl. to the mtns of Ga/NC < twice a years> and fast rides out to the Everglades. Mostly though I'm bored with it in FL/ no curves for hundreds of miles, but great riding weather. It is a location conducive to cruisin, sometimes even longer distances 2-300 miles/ day but at a relaxed paced that just about drives me nuts on the Feejer. So I am thinking of getting something along the lines of a VStar 1100, New Star Roadliner or a Roadking, many low milage cop bikes available here. I've ridden the Road KIng on a long trip from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and it's definitely competent/ the VStar is also ok but not so great for 2up which i will be using it 4 frequently. My sense is that the new Star is a "better" bike;;; but can one of you Harley owners try to help me sort this out? Cost wise the used cop bike , not converted /05 is about the same $$ as a 06 Roadliner. Any thoughts on the subject are appeciated.

Here is an opinoin from someone who has owned the Vstar 1100 and ridden a few Harleys. I think the 1100 is a great in town bike but it being the old Virago motor with manual valves ticks. It is the way it is suppose to sound but I didn't like it at all. Also since it really is a motor that wants to rev to gain power going Highway speed you always feel you need another gear and it is loud.

If I were to look at another Vstar line it would be the Road Star would be the bike to have. With 102 Cubic Inchs, Belt drive it is a very good over the road bike. I test drove one just for fun as I knew at the time my wife would not let me have one. I have to say that VTwin is as close as I have ever gotten to comparing to a Harley. It is not as quick as the 1100 but the gear and size are perfect for over the road. Also the aftermarket customizing on those bikes are awesome.

Harley, I love the ride sound look if that is the one purpose bike you want as with any cruiser. If you can get one at a good price nothing wrong with that but for me it would be between the Road Star and Harley not the 1100...

One other side note to consider. Will you be riding with friends on these "cruises"? What kind of bikes do they have? If they are Harley riders do you really want to be the one guy on a Jap bike? I know this can open a lot of problems. For me have a Sport Tourer I don't get half the grief as when I had a jap cruiser. They seem to accept the sport bike more than the jap copy of what they are riding.

So if money is not the issue between the RoadLiner and Harley I would get the Harley.

One thing about a Harley is that for cruising the moment you sit on one you can tell that those bike fit like a glove. Some items on the Jap bike just feel cheap, chrome covered plastic, parts that are absolutely fake like the push rod tubes.

The transmissions on the Harleys I have to say on the highway seem perfectly geared for just that. RPM's very low and cruising at 80 90 all day no problem. Many jap bikes even the bigger cc bikes always seem like you need another gear.

I would say go test drive the Roadliner or Road Star and a Harley. Your butt will decide which you like best...

it would be between the Road Star and Harley not the 1100...
Concur. I don't think you would want the 1100 since you mentioned a lot of 2-up riding.

I have ridden friend's Road Stars and V-Stars and have had Harleys.

I would tend to go with a big Yamaha over a Harley myself.

You should ride them to compare. Do as much research as you can.

It's all personal opinion, nothing more.

Those bikes are all in the same category.

Former Road King Classic owner. Pure economics... Go with the Star.

I never had a mechanical or service issue with the King. My only two complaints... whimpy suspension and cheap, cheap, cheap chrome - pitted and rusted within months of new. Dealer simply said, 'Well wadaya expect? You live by the ocean." To which I replied, "Well then 'splain me Lucy, why my other three bikes and two cars don't have rusted and pitted chrome..." All I got was a, "Doiy, I dunno..."

Former Road King Classic owner.  Pure economics...  Go with the Star.
I never had a mechanical or service issue with the King.  My only two complaints...  whimpy suspension and cheap, cheap, cheap chrome - pitted and rusted within months of new.  Dealer simply said, 'Well wadaya expect?  You live by the ocean."  To which I replied, "Well then 'splain me Lucy, why my other three bikes and two cars don't have rusted and pitted chrome..."  All I got was a, "Doiy, I dunno..."
He said price would be almost the same as he is looking at a ex-cop bike.

Yea chrome pitting on Harley but on Yamaha it will just chip off the cheap plastic parts.

Also I constantly kept mine polished or rust spots would show up on my Yamaha.

Also don't get spoke wheels not only are they a pain to clean the quality from Yamaha rust easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned a couple of Road Kings for longer and shorter time spans. I ride most of the Cruisers, and Cruiser Tourers that appear to be class definers or at least class leaders.

I think the Kawasaki Nomad would best work for me at what you've indicated you want to do. It's a more "complete" bike than the Yamahas you've mentioned. It's way up there in qualites that lead to reliability and durability. And, the package just rides so nice.

These days, I'm more interested in a heavier unit better at Touring to me like the Royal Stars. But, in the lighter and also less expensive class, I think the Nomad stands way above the other options.

Best wishes with your choice.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wonder about :

"''''''I've owned a couple of Road Kings for longer and shorter time spans. I ride most of the Cruisers, and Cruiser Tourers that appear to be class definers or at least class leaders.

I think the Kawasaki Nomad would best work for me at what you've indicated you want to do. It's a more "complete" bike than the Yamahas you've mentioned. It's way up there in qualites that lead to reliability and durability. And, the package just rides so nice.

These days, I'm more interested in a heavier unit better at Touring to me like the Royal Stars. "But, in the lighter and also less expensive class, I think the Nomad stands way above the other options.""""""

That's really hits the nail on the head. You have had Road Kings and if you were to go get something now you would get the Nomad?? Wow, .By the way the guys i ride in Fl. with now ride an assortment of metric cruisers with 1 harley.

Any thought on how the Roadstar stacks up against the model they just came out with? Roadliner. I was at a Yami dealer this weekend and the sales guy made it sound like a new Roadstar would be about $3,500 + less then the newer model. To say nothing of the fact that many of this guys will probably be " dumping" the Roadstar for the newer model so bargains may be available.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wonder about :
"''''''I've owned a couple of Road Kings for longer and shorter time spans. I ride most of the Cruisers, and Cruiser Tourers that appear to be class definers or at least class leaders.

These days, I'm more interested in a heavier unit better at Touring to me like the Royal Stars. "But, in the lighter and also less expensive class, I think the Nomad stands way above the other options.""""""

That's really hits the nail on the head. You have had Road Kings and if you were to go get something now you would get the Nomad?? Wow, .By the way the guys i ride in Fl. with now ride an assortment of metric cruisers with 1 harley.

Any thought on how the Roadstar stacks up against the model they just came out with? Roadliner. I was at a Yami dealer this weekend and the sales guy made it sound like a new Roadstar would be about $3,500 + less then the newer model. To say nothing of the fact that many of this guys will probably be " dumping" the Roadstar for the newer model so bargains may be available.

You might want to check out the Delphi forum. That is where I hung out when i had my 1100. They have a section for the Road Star and I am sure a lot of answers for ya.

Hey if I were comparing Kaw Nomad, Yamaha RoadStar/Roadliner , Harley Road King I would definitely not be one to point to the Harley simply for price for gain.

But, since you mentioned you could get it for the same price as the Roadliner and price is now not the factor the Harley jumps right back in the game.

Power in these big Vtwins is not what they should be in any of them stock.

The aftermarket on the Yamaha I know a bit about and you can get stuff right up to nitrous, blowers etc for those things if you want.

The Yamaha was a true beast when I drove it. The Yamaha put the FAT in fat boy. With beach bars they feels like grandmas Cadi, simply huge. The tank is wide and if you don't have long legs just getting over the frame is wide. The Harley is definitely more slinder.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them you just have to make up your mind if you want a Harley or one of the others. Plain and simple, Good luck :D

I looked over the new Road Liner, etc. at the M/C show. The new models come in several displacements.

I listenend to a salesman pitching to a customer, and what I heard confirmed what I felt about the new bikes. They are "Feature Creepers", basic mechanical designs with Stuff added on that somewhat changes their appeal to "Stuff-likers".

Compared to the earlier model, they are "More Beefy". They have heavier, bulkier components in the front end, like "fat forks". They have wider gas tanks, and "tougher" handle bars.

Now, that's what I noticed, and my attention to them stopped there. I'm not "into" Cruisers, and have no interest in standing outside a Biker Bar pointing to some special part or feature of my motorcycle, or someone else's, or watching them do the same. I'm a Rider, and what I do is Ride, and what I care about is Riding.

It is therefore that I mentioned that if I were going to DO what you said you were going to do, that I would choose a Nomad. And, I'll share I've lived in Floridca (Naples and Ft. Meyers), and ridden bikes there, and on up to Georgia and North Carolina.

The new Road XXXX Yamahas are more about Looking than they are about Riding. The base bike, or the "old model" is going to be a lighter item and have be a lighter Ride.

A Nomad is like a Road King. It is set up to be comfortable being ridden the 200 - 300 mile rides you mentioned, and carry stuff to take the trips Up North you mentioned, and will cradle Honey. It will do that very much the same way a Road King will do it. Only the Nomad is going to be more refiened at doing it, and is going to stay together longer doing it. But, it might not score as high on the Visceral Scale with YOU personally as the Road King might.

The Yamahas you mention might have more "Point and Chat" appeal. And they might "feel cool" rumbling down The Boulevard. But, I'll bet you's feel better about your ownership if you took the Road King or Nomad up and back the length of FL-27.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sense is that the new Star is a "better" bike;;; but can one of you Harley owners try to help me sort this out? Cost wise the used cop bike , not converted /05 is about the same $$ as a 06 Roadliner. Any thoughts on the subject are appeciated.
Do not leave out the new Royal Star as a possibility.

Enter as a guest at first.

https://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar/start

https://forums.delphiforums.com/starroadliner/start

https://forums.delphiforums.com/1602/start

https://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvulcan/start