Starter relay "laughs" at me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, if I went through all the trouble to pull the damned thing out, I'd get it rebuilt. Just my $0.02.
It really wasn't much trouble actually. I've had her apart many times, throttle bodies and air box aren't that difficult. Hour at most to take apart, hour to put back together.

But, i just wanted her running while weather is still nice. If it needs rebuilt, it'll happen in winter.
Seriosly? 1 hour to remove and install TB's? Dude, I bow to your mechanical prowes, really.. I had a hell of a time getting them TB reset into the boots and all. Seriously, what's the secret?

The trick is, don't be afraid to take stuff apart.

For example, when I was going to put the throttle body assembly back in, I couldn't pull the coolant line far enough to make it connect securely. I spent 15 minutes fighting it before finally saying, "screw it" and removing the left cowling to pull the hose off the radiator. Once that was done, it took 20 seconds to connect it to the TB, and then reconnect it to the radiator.

I know better too, so I typically just tear it down, get to what I need, put it back.

Having the right tools always helps too.

I had a hell of a time getting them TB reset into the boots and all. Seriously, what's the secret?
I used a wood block and a hammer to put the TBs back into the boots.
I pulled the the boots off the head, mounted each by hand on the TBs first, then back on the head.

MUCH easier than trying to mount the TBs onto the boots already attached to the head.

I didn't have to use a block or remove the boots, just made sure they were loose, put the TB into the boots at a 45 degree angle facing upwards (bottom of TB touching boot), and then pushed in while straightening out the angle. They have always just slid right in. Hold them in place while tightening the ring clamps. Never had an issue. Personally, I'd be quite leery hitting the TB assembly, even with a block of wood or rubber mallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine didn't go back on easily either. I couldn't get them on. I used a light coat of grease. That got them on. I was told later by a trusted tech that I shouldn't have used grease for some reason, and used vaseline, or WD-40 instead. Wish I could remember which one it was he told me to use.

Latest posts