starting issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 05 does the same thing since I got it almost 2 years ago. Happens in the summer months and only when the motor is heat soaked. It does not do it consistantly and the battery seems to be in good shape. I notice it when I stop for gas riding in city traffic. It has not failed to start yet, just slow cranking....

My '05 did the same.. hot day (80F+), stop for fuel...slow crank initially, dash re-set, then it cranks and starts. Didn't do it every time but enough for me to worry about it. On cooler days, no problems at all. My battery was about 3 yrs old and seemed ok otherwise and charging system checked good at ~14.2VDC at all loads. So I replaced battery with a nice new OEM Yuasa Battery and problem solved. Cranks strong when hot and starts immediately. For the record, bike is in otherwise good tune with fairly recent valve check, TB synch, plugs etc... all good. Check your charging, all connections, replace battery if questionable in any way.

Regards,

Mr .BR

The thing I notice when hot is when the key switch is turned on and the start switch is depressed immediately thereafter, it'll crank more before firing. If I turn on the key, listen to the whine, and wait about 6 seconds before hitting the start, she'll fire right up. Anyone else notice this?

ETA: and it's not like this is something that just showed up on my bike. I have an '07, it's done all sorts of goofy stuff from when new. It's always started this way. Dunno about the battery thing, I'm still using my original OEM installed one.

I'm guessing 6 seconds. It's like: slip helmet on, turn key, fasten helmet strap, start bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone come up with a replacement shaft oil seal part number? Got to overhaul my starter, pulling 200+ amps and croaking!

Did anyone come up with a replacement shaft oil seal part number? Got to overhaul my starter, pulling 200+ amps and croaking!
There are numbers on the seal. They are the dimensions in MM. Any bearing house can get them.

Thanks FJRay. Pulled my finger out, did some searching and found good pics showing positions of bits and pieces in the starter, and relevant sizes on the seal in question. Thanks to those that posted, a real help.

Found suppliers online and main options seem to be, double or single lipped, and material used. Viton seems best choice I guess, good performance in synthetic oils and elevated temperatures.

For what they cost, may as well order, plus get the other O rings from a Yammy parts house.

Thanks FJRay. Pulled my finger out, did some searching and found good pics showing positions of bits and pieces in the starter, and relevant sizes on the seal in question. Thanks to those that posted, a real help.
Found suppliers online and main options seem to be, double or single lipped, and material used. Viton seems best choice I guess, good performance in synthetic oils and elevated temperatures.

For what they cost, may as well order, plus get the other O rings from a Yammy parts house.
I used the Viton double lipped seal on my starter rebuild.

One word of caution is to make sure there's good scribed marks for housing position. Mine had no marks, so I used a permanent marker that was eliminated when I ran the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner. My best guess reassembly resulted in a starter that ran in the wrong direction! Would have been a bad day if I had installed it that way with all the time required for installation. :(

Rotating it 180 got it spinning correctly and then I still had to keep the housing screws loose and run it on the bench while watching the current draw and rotating the housing for minimum current draw. Much easier to just have marks for reassembly! :)

Cheers Harald, that piece of information alone made it a great decision to join this forum, so big thanks to you. This place is such a mine of good advice, help and humor.

Cant imagine how I would feel putting it all back together only to find Ill be going backwards everywhere. Lol.

Ordered the O rings and seal today but will be a few weeks before tear down time.

Cheers Harald, that piece of information alone made it a great decision to join this forum, so big thanks to you. This place is such a mine of good advice, help and humor.
Cant imagine how I would feel putting it all back together only to find Ill be going backwards everywhere. Lol.

Ordered the O rings and seal today but will be a few weeks before tear down time.
Glad to help. I know I've received a TON of help around here. :)

We learn best from our mistakes, but I'll risk learning less by learning from other's mistakes. ;)

My best guess reassembly resulted in a starter that ran in the wrong direction! Would have been a bad day if I had installed it that way with all the time required for installation. :(

Rotating it 180 got it spinning correctly and then I still had to keep the housing screws loose and run it on the bench while watching the current draw and rotating the housing for minimum current draw. Much easier to just have marks for reassembly! :)
Question;

When looking at the starter on the bench, (looking at the output shaft) what is the correct rotation direction?

My best guess reassembly resulted in a starter that ran in the wrong direction! Would have been a bad day if I had installed it that way with all the time required for installation.
sad.png

Rotating it 180 got it spinning correctly and then I still had to keep the housing screws loose and run it on the bench while watching the current draw and rotating the housing for minimum current draw. Much easier to just have marks for reassembly!
smile.png
Question;

When looking at the starter on the bench, (looking at the output shaft) what is the correct rotation direction?
I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll have to check my notes at home to see if I noted anything. Might be a day or two before I get a chance because my schedule is crazy.

Cheers Harald, that piece of information alone made it a great decision to join this forum, so big thanks to you. This place is such a mine of good advice, help and humor.Cant imagine how I would feel putting it all back together only to find Ill be going backwards everywhere. Lol.

Huge thanks go out to the many who posted up on how to dig that sob out and refurb it with new brushes, O rings and oil seal. Could not have done it without the mine of info available here.

A pretty big job!

All is good now, that baby spins the motor like a champ. One trick I discovered when reassembling the motor to keep the brushes out of the way. On the back edge of the brush holders is a tiny notch, put there so we can hook the spring end into it, thus leaving the brushes fully retracted until the commutator is part way home.

Then just use your handy tool to flick the springs into place and push the end cap home.

Simples!

Latest posts