Starting problem on a FJR1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farabees

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Last year I bought myself a 2010 FJR1300A, european version as I live in France.

On my first vaction trip I found myself stranded because the bike wouldn't start anymore.

Starter worked, but the fuelpump didn't. Bike got towed to a Yamaha dealer and he said the problem was due too oxidated connectors.

He cleaned everything and after that I had no more problem for about 5000 miles.

This vacation the same problem occured again on vacation about 500 miles from home......

Can the transponder/key be the problem, can I simply bypass the system (extra + direct to the fuel with a switch )so whenthe problem occures I can just switch the power on to get the pump working.

Other ideas, where too seek, I'm quite desperate,.....

Thanks for your time and answer,

Greetings,

Mark Oste

Transponder/key? No such thing here on my old 07! Haven't a clue I knew cars had them but didn't know the FJR now did. Sorry I'll be watching and hope I learn something.

Transponder in the key is only for non-North American FJRs. Don't know if you will get much good information here on that.

Frustrating I'm sure. Wish we could be of more help.

I have no knowledge of how the transponder is wired, but I would think it would disable the starter functioning as well. Was there anything else going on when it was running or just before it quit?

Don't know about transponder either but would also have thought it would disable starter too. I haven't heard of starting problems caused by oxidation. Fuel pump doesn't run continuously - it stops when fuel rail is pressurized. I am thinking that the bike may have been started and shut down before reaching full operating temperature resulting in a flooded condition. They can be a bitch to start when this happens; usually requiring the wide-open-throttle starting method. Even with that technique, it may take several 10 second tries and the battery may not be up to the task unless it is reasonably new and fully charged.

^^^^^ Excellent question.

How does the anti-theft transponder circuitry work on this application? Does it block out the fuel pump, the starter?

Mark originally Sent me a PM requesting one of my Ignition Relay Harneses to be able to somehow get around this issue. Since all my harness does is place a 70 amp capacity relay between the main fuse and the key switch, and uses it to trigger the relay, I didn't see how it would address his problem. I suggested he ask the question out here in open forum to let our knowledgeable people help diagnose his sick bike.

What say you - smart people?

Brodie

🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody,

thank you all for thinking with me on a solution.

When the problem occurs, the fuel pump doesn't build up pression, starter turns but with the lack of fuel, the bike won't start;

The last time I had the bike towed to my house, I've put it in the garage and when I decided to take a look at it a few days later, ite started.
weirdsmiley.gif

I could simply put an extra power line with a switch to the pump but I wonder if the ignition isn't cut also

Sorry for my "clumsy" English...

Your English is pretty good!

You don't happen to hear anything else do you? The reason I ask is I had a problem with the relay up under the nose that involves the fuel pump and the neutral switch. My first symptoms were the neutral light coming on while I was riding and then the engine would stumble sometimes.

No real other issues other then the not starting problem.

Just maybe that after the last time when it started again and took It to work a few times it stumbled once but barely noticable.

Where exactly is the relay situated and how does it look like?

Is it easy to change and is it expensive?

Transponder in the key is only for non-North American FJRs. Don't know if you will get much good information here on that.
Canadian bikes have the transponder key as well. If the transponder isn't connecting, the bike will crank but won't start.I have a non-transponder key I use for the seat lock and the bag locks. Every once in a while I'll accidentally leave that key in the ignition - even though the transponder key is on the same ring, the bike won't start.

I don't believe it's a key transponder issue, I pretty sure that prevents the starter motor from turning in the same way that the kill switch does.

The problem is most likely corrosion (as the first dealer suggested) or conceivably something like the main relay.

It's probably going to be very difficult to diagnose it with certainty because of its intermittency.

I don't believe it's a key transponder issue, I pretty sure that prevents the starter motor from turning in the same way that the kill switch does.
Re-read my post above yours - the bike will crank but not start if the transponder key is not confirmed.

Seems to me that the transponder module connector would be a good place to look. Perhaps it is also connected to the fragile ground buss. If the receiver has trouble communicating wither rest of the electronics, I would think it would be like the proper key was not detected.

Brodie

🙂

Re-read my post above yours - the bike will crank but not start if the transponder key is not confirmed.
Ok, sorry, didn't read your post properly, and i'd previously been told incorrectly. Your direct experience overrides my hearsay ;) .

mcatrophy - no worries - sorry if my post came across as snarky. :drinks:

To the OP - do you have another transponder key you can test with or the infamous "red key"? It could be a bad key transponder chip.

The BMW R1200 guys used to carry a spare transponder ring because they would fail and behave just like you are describing but I have never heard of a Yamaha ring failing.

My 07 has the fuel pump relay located just above the shelf that's under the headlights. Back when I was fixing my spider bite, I went through all connectors to clean and grease and found the fuel pump relay contacts had corrosion on them:

fuelpumprelaycorrosion.jpg

I had the whole nose off the bike, but I think you could reach the relay by reaching above the shelf that's above the front fender. If nothing else, you could check voltage there to verify whether the pump is getting power at that point.