Stator Interest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WC,
Any chance you could install an ammeter in series with your power strips for the test? I think it would be great if you could measure Voltage output and current draw for different loads at different engine speeds. In other words, plot engine speed, voltage, and current. You would adjust the current draw by turning on and off different combinations of loads (lights, etc.)
Yeah, and while you're out there, could you maybe hit a deer at say, 2735 RPM in fourth gear with the new stator installed? I'd like to see some impact resistance testing results on the stator as well before I commit. Thanks a bunch, yer aces kid. Oh, and don't get hurt. :D
WC has done the Bambi thing already..... I can wager $1000 he'll not want to do it again!! :rolleyes:

WC,
Any chance you could install an ammeter in series with your power strips for the test? I think it would be great if you could measure Voltage output and current draw for different loads at different engine speeds. In other words, plot engine speed, voltage, and current. You would adjust the current draw by turning on and off different combinations of loads (lights, etc.)
Yeah, and while you're out there, could you maybe hit a deer at say, 2735 RPM in fourth gear with the new stator installed? I'd like to see some impact resistance testing results on the stator as well before I commit. Thanks a bunch, yer aces kid. Oh, and don't get hurt. :D
You guys act like this is a monumental task. :aggressive:

Unscrew the common positive from the terminal strip(s), connect the meter leads in between. :blink:

Christ, it's not like I asked him to drop the motor and hollow out the crankshaft. :dntknw:

-BD

WC,
You guys act like this is a monumental task. :aggressive:

Unscrew the common positive from the terminal strip(s), connect the meter leads in between. :blink:

Christ, it's not like I asked him to drop the motor and hollow out the crankshaft. :dntknw:

-BD
Ok slow down here....unscrew the common depositnator from the terminal slip and conn.....AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHAHHHAAHHHAHH

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of stator output, has the '06 590 watt stator issue been settled?? I believe there was $20 riding on that one, any winners yet. B)

Speaking of stator output, has the '06 590 watt stator issue been settled?? I believe there was $20 riding on that one, any winners yet. B)
Not yet. I'm the eventual recipient of the $20 and haven't seen any documentation that Yamaha claims it's increased.

Hey BrunDog, why don't you get one donated or buy one and do the testing for us. I am sure WC is overloaded with tasks from all the sites and LD community. Maybe you could speed up the process for us seeing in Fla. the weather is good. I would but I am incompetent.

Radman! Not loud enough, mored buddy bore loud to reall impress the folks here. Don't forget the flickering at the baack of the eyes. :dribble:

Not yet. I'm the eventual recipient of the $20 and haven't seen any documentation that Yamaha claims it's increased.
Hold on there big boy:) :) The answer we seek could be revealed by Tuesday (03-07-06)?

As I type this an unnamed, anonymous, (3 time IBR finisher and owner of a 04 FJR) Yamaha demo rider is enroute to Daytona. Upon his arrival he will dive into this long hidden secret. ;)

And don`t forget the side bet >BSEG<

Hold on there big boy:) :) The answer we seek could be revealed by Tuesday (03-07-06)?

As I type this an unnamed, anonymous, (3 time IBR finisher and owner of a 04 FJR) Yamaha demo rider is enroute to Daytona. Upon his arrival he will dive into this long hidden secret. ;)

And don`t forget the side bet >BSEG<
Ignacio,

No ill will but I hope you loose that bet :p

I'd actually be happy as well if I lose the bet. It would be wonderful that the factory resolve one of the only chinks in this platform and make it truly the best sport touring steed.

However, when I made the bet I saw a lot of rumor and and little founded in documentable fact. If anybody can prove me wrong--it would be qkslver.

Ignacio is about to become $20 richer.

Every indication I have gotten suggests Yamaha didn't *even* touch the alternator for '06.

Well, if so, then the eggs would be this increasingly after-market stator basket. I'll say it again, I'm much less skeptical now than before. Fabone's follow-up posts, interesting graph, and interest by Warchild to methodically test are very encouraging.

Hopefully, I'll get to spend my $20 on a Group Buy after Phase 1!

Hey BrunDog, why don't you get one donated or buy one and do the testing for us. I am sure WC is overloaded with tasks from all the sites and LD community. Maybe you could speed up the process for us seeing in Fla. the weather is good. I would but I am incompetent.
Well, I would, but why step on WC's toes and duplicate what he is going to do?

Besides, living in suburban FL I don't have heated clothing, high intensity lights, or anything that could tax the generation system on the bike. I would have to come up with artificial loads.

I was simply suggesting he measure the current of the load. It could be calculated from the devices' specifications, this would just be a little more accurate. So kill me!! :russian:

-BD

Brundog,Don't you guys plug in those aftermarket A/C helmet units and ice makers? :p
Oh hell yeah! If I could find a cooling helmet or vest, I'd be all over it like shrinkwrap!

I guess I could build a trailer with a Trane on it...

-BD

Oh hell yeah! If I could find a cooling helmet or vest, I'd be all over it like shrinkwrap!
IIRC, some years ago AGV produced a helmet with an a/c unit built in. Either the price was out of reach for most or it didn't work very well because I don't recall seeing any on the street. :)

OK B. Doggie, dig out that ol' EE expertise and give us an efficient Peltier effect helmet cooler. If the MDs are correct a couple of Peltier effect wrist bands in conjunction with the PE helmet should be all that is needed for cool and comfortable riding even in the most wicked heat. Make the most of the available watts! :lol: :lol:

IIRC, some years ago AGV produced a helmet with an a/c unit built in
I've got one of these. Only used it a few times, but it does work as advertised. It' a little heavy, but fits well and definitely keeps the noggin cool (or warm, you can set it either way).

Any takers? I'll sell at a reasonable (sub $50) cost. Color is primary white/blue with a green stripe.