Steering Bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michigan DS

Reaction score
I bought new in 2008 an 08 FJR AE. What a great bike!

I recently noticed a thumping when I stop or hit bumps. When I apply the front brake, I can see the front end shift at the stem. Thinking the bearings were bad, I took it to the local Yamaha dealer.

They looked it over and said I needed new bearings. They quoted me almost $500 for parts and labor. They stated that Y.E.S. does not cover it since it is a "maintenance" item.

I understand that wear and tear parts (brakes, tires, oil changes, filters, etc) wear out due to use. The issue I have, is this seems like very low mileage to have

bad bearings. I don't ride this thing motocross, I have a street legal 07 WR450 for that.

I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue or am I out of line thinking this is premature to have bearing problems.

Thanks,

Doug

In my experience (as a motorcycle mechanic back in the day), nothing will take steering head bearings out faster than riding with the bearings improperly tightened. If you have a lot of miles running with the stem loose, it may need bearings. As a normal wear and tear item, they won't expire for quite a while, if properly adjusted.

Can't quite understand how the dealer can make claim that steering head bearings are a maintenance item. Granted, inspecting and lubricating at regular intervals is maintenance but the bearing(s) will live for a long time with proper adjustment and minor lubrication. Take it up again with the dealer, and then move along to Yamaha. Your low mileage is way too soon to require bearing replacement.

Good luck!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't say what your mileage is. Did the dealer check and retighten at the 600 or 4000 mile interval? Sounds like not. Tighten them up properly and see if your problem goes away.

If the dealer didn't physically remove the bearings for a complete visual inspection, then they have no idea if the bearings are defective or not. If the dealer DID remove the bearings for a visual inspection, then half the labor is already done.

I wouldn't take chances with steering head bearings on a street bike. Replace them and find another dealer to do your bike work if they were the ones greasing and re-torquing them at intervals.

As Solo stated, riding with the bearings loose is a sure way to damage them.

I still wonder why they put ball bearings in the steering head. I plan to switch over to tapered roller bearings at some point. I just retorqued mine and eliminated a clunk. Go with the retorgue, they shouldn't be bad at 11K, unless you've been doing some wheelies and slamming her back down.

Flyer, they use ball bearings instead of roller bearings because they are less expensive and more tolerant of mis-alignment. But you are right: roller bearings are the best way to go. If you are that far into the machine that you are replacing the bearings, definitely get rollers.

pete

Flyer, they use ball bearings instead of roller bearings because they are less expensive and more tolerant of mis-alignment. But you are right: roller bearings are the best way to go. If you are that far into the machine that you are replacing the bearings, definitely get rollers.
pete
+1

Expense is part of it, but balls actually work better when new and properly adjusted as they have less internal friction. Rollers are more durable and hold adjustment longer. There are always tradeoffs and what is "best" depends on what you're after.

- Mark

Can't quite understand how the dealer can make claim that steering head bearings are a maintenance item.
They can claim this because, quite simply, it IS a maintenance item. From the OM: Steering head bearings - check bearing assemblies for looseness. If they want to get hard-core about this, they can deny warranty coverage unless the owner can produce documentation that these bearings were checked at 600, 4K, and 8K miles. If these bearings are run loose, they can prematurely wear or be damaged.

But I agree with what others have said, you want to first tighten and see if you get smooth operation and no "notchiness" - more than likely, this will solve the problem. IOW, do the proper maintenance prior to determining if repairs are necessary.

- Mark

I had that clunky issue with my 04 around the 22k mile mark... I followed the bearing cleaning and greasing procedure

in in fjrtech and then torqued everything to spec. The bearing looked good and all spun freely on the top and bottom set's. Didn't have the issue since. But I am going to re-torque every 4k miles now.