Sticking rear brake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rucrispy

Reaction score
We had several days of flooding here and leaving work on Tuesday I had to ride through some flooded roadways to get home. The first of which was about 6 inches deep the second was about 12. After getting to the high ground of the interstate I was able to make it home with no more than some normal rain and wet roads. When I got home I did a visual check of the bike and didn't see anything wrong.

I noticed this morning (and now that I think about it yesterday as well) that my rear brake was not returning to where I expect to feel it on my foot. A quick check arriving at work indicates that It is just hard to move and will brake just not release.

I expect that riding through excessive amount of rain this year and then washing it off in the puddles has removed any lubricant there was. I will head home today and unbolt the rear master cylinder and brake lever and lube them.

Anybody disagree with my thoughts here? Anything else I should check for after my "river crossings"?

Brake pivot. Short term fix is to flood it out with WD-40 to expel the moisture and crud. As soon as you have a chance, dismantle and lube with good waterproof grease. Pretty common occurrance.

Ross

Very common issue. But submarining it probably didn't help......

And if the brake lever gets grungy, what do ya think might be going on with the shifter side ..... (hint, hint)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very common issue. But submarining it probably didn't help......

And if the brake lever gets grungy, what do ya think might be going on with the shifter side ..... (hint, hint)
You should also consider your rear suspension relay arm bearings, if they fail, bad things can happen.......

Don

Thanks all of you.

I did break down the brake, clean and grease it. It was pretty gross. After assembly it's smooth as glass. Might even need to relearn how much pressure to use since it moves so much easier now.

I will look at the rest of the joints under there this weekend.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.